My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

Is there a quickstart option? It takes 30 seconds.

(15 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

d4005

When my 1000S is in standby mode, I press the power-on button and it takes a whole 30 seconds before I see "TV" appear. During that seconds I have 10 seconds or so of Freesat and Humax logos, then a few seconds of blackness, then another 15 seconds of Freetime animation.

I could understand why all this is needed from a cold start, but this is just coming out of standby. Even my old Sky+ box could manage that in less than 2 seconds.

Is there a fastboot, when actually it's wrong to even use the term fastboot because that implies it's booting, is there a fast leave standby option somewhere?

| Wed 10 Jul 2013 15:19:05 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Pollensa1946

special member

No.

| Wed 10 Jul 2013 16:00:02 #2 |
  3. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Until recently Sky boxes don't have a proper EU compliant sby mode. Basically when you put a Sky box in sby everything is still powerered including the hard disk, when you turn on the box all you are doing is powering up the video and audio output stages. even the lnb is continuously powered. The 2 second boot is not only illegal (Newer PVR's have to be capable recording from a sub 0.5W sby, it's costing you money. A Sky box in sby uses over 40 times as much power as a HDR1000s in low power sby (About 22W compared to 0.5W).

That's over £20.00 per annum in electricity consumption. If you tend to boot up your box around the same time every day set a wake up timer about 15 minutes before you normally use the box.

| Wed 10 Jul 2013 16:18:21 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

d4005

Pollensa1946 - 18 minutes ago  » 
    No.

That's not the answer I was looking for. I guess I'm going to have to adjust my viewing habits (switch it on before I sit down for some TV).

| Wed 10 Jul 2013 16:19:24 #4 |
  5. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

d4005 - 1 hour ago  » 

No.

That's not the answer I was looking for. I guess I'm going to have to adjust my viewing habits (switch it on before I sit down for some TV).

The display of the logos is performed during the boot of the Linux operating system and the start-up of the application. I think 30 seconds is actually very good from a sub <0.5 w standby mode. Wish my PC could beat it.

| Wed 10 Jul 2013 17:42:04 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

d4005

REPASSAC - 31 minutes ago  » 

d4005 - 1 hour ago  » 

No.

The display of the logos is performed during the boot of the Linux operating system and the start-up of the application. I think 30 seconds is actually very good from a sub <0.5 w standby mode. Wish my PC could beat it.

For a Linux boot I agree it's fine. But I assumed in standby mode it was running - otherwise how else would it wake itself up for recordings?

| Wed 10 Jul 2013 18:13:56 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Pollensa1946

special member

"how else would it wake itself up for recordings?"
    I believe it does that 15 mins before the recording is due to start.

| Wed 10 Jul 2013 18:35:18 #7 |
  8. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Pollensa1946 - 1 minute ago  » 

The only function it really has in sby is the clock and the recording schedule. If you turn off low power sby the clock is then displayed on the front panel.

For recordings made using accurate recording the box wakes up 15 minutes before the scheduled recording time to watch for change of running status signalling the programme has started. During this period and while actually recording boot up is near instantaneous.

If you have auto padding or manual recordings the box wakes up a minute or so before the recording is due to start based on the adjusted schedule time and padding for auto padding or on the manual start time set.

If you have a usb drive connected to one of the ports then when the box wakes from sby you can see the drive LED indicating it's awake.

| Wed 10 Jul 2013 18:41:57 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

d4005

Pollensa1946 - 6 minutes ago  » 

I suppose it must be some kind of BIOS feature they're using. Pretty smart of them.

| Wed 10 Jul 2013 18:42:10 #9 |
  10. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

d4005 - 4 minutes ago  » 

Pollensa1946 - 6 minutes ago  » 

I suppose it must be some kind of BIOS feature they're using. Pretty smart of them.

The box has enough NVRAM to enable boot from next to nothing, and is also servicing the IR remote port. All new pvr's will have this capability. It's a EU requirement to reduce sby power requirements. The 2008 Foxsat-hdr conformed to the then requirement for 0.75W sby power. The G2 boxes conform to the later 0.5W restriction.

If you have a modern TV the sby power will be around 0.1W, just enough to respond to the remote control power on command.

Sky box design by comparison is rather primitive.

| Wed 10 Jul 2013 18:50:22 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.