My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » Aura UHD

Is there any reason I'd buy anything but Aura?

(4 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Misterhumax

I'm a former Humax user (Freesat, 10yrs ago) and have grown increasingly sick of the terrible PVR/EPG functionality on my modern LED TV - I'd assumed for my limited use it would be ok but it's just awful.

Things obviously moved on a lot. The FVP-5000T sounds like a souped up version of what I used to have while the Aura seems a big jump - Android, app control, etc.

My Phillips LED TV has Android and it's the one thing that makes me hesitate as I don't enjoy that OS. I don't care about Netflix (the TV does a good job) but the cost isn't a factor either. As a pure DVR is there any reason to prefer the previous model, or is Aura just the obvious best choice?

One feature I was really interested to read about was dnla, which I think lets me stream both recordings and live TV to other devices? We have a couple of TVs and often I find the TV I recorded on is in use... And only one TV has an aerial feed.
    I read some old posts on this being limited to SD only, what can the Aura do?

Thanks for any advice. It seems like I should just buy the Aura as far as I can see!

| Sun 2 Oct 2022 22:17:53 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

MattB1

The sad reality of the Aura is that it had great promise when it was first released, but with no updates for over a year now. You will see from this forum the amount of issues raised and nothing happens.

It's difficult to recommend the Aura at this stage.

| Tue 4 Oct 2022 14:56:50 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Misterhumax

MattB1 - 36 secs ago  » 
    The sad reality of the Aura is that it had great promise when it was first released, but with no updates for over a year now. You will see from this forum the amount of issues raised and nothing happens.
    It's difficult to recommend the Aura at this stage.

Thanks. I was reading just now and see quite a few issues regarding apps and casting which I really have no interest in - the TV has every app I could want.

The only features I care about are good EPG (unlike my TV which takes several minutes to load) and reliable DVR (unlike my TV which sometimes forgets to record and lacks series-link options).
    DLNA would be wonderful too so I can watch on any TV I own in my house.

On that basis, can I expect problems in the core box functionality? And if so, would a previous generation be a better bet?

I've actually bought one already but from Amazon so returning is no issue - this was actually the reason I bought from them rather than RS or whoever.

| Tue 4 Oct 2022 15:04:20 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Harters

special member

I use my Aura as a PVR and I get solid performance, great Guide and very user friendly. It knocks spots off my previous FVP4000/5000 and is so much faster.

The only recordings that have failed have been when ITV messed up the start signals for coronation street a while back and more recently due to the coverage of the Queens funeral which is pretty exceptional circumstances.

I also heavily use YouTube and Plex without issue and I watch some old SD content via VLC upstairs the bedroom using a Firestick. O

Yes there are a couple of little quirks, but nothing that would stop me purchasing again if mine was to go bang.

| Wed 5 Oct 2022 8:23:33 #4 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.