My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HB 1000S, 1100S

Is this a possible Smart TV and Humax 1100s config

(5 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Wuzwine

I have run a Samsung with an Amstrad 160 Sky HD box (just used for free channels with the £25 Sky card), and a rarely used Bush DVD/Video in the living room.

In the roof space there is a distribution Remote-Link A240D Distribution Amp. and the leads to an indoor aerial and Sky Dish (on a garage at bottom of front garden to obtain signal). As well as the sky and there is a RF lead down to the kitchen/dining room.

In the kitchen/dining room and there is a Toshiba Regza 37RV635D. This is the TV that is almost exclusively used for Free Sky channels via a magic eye and a DVD via Scart.

The Sky lead and main RF go to the Sky Box in the living room. The old 32” Samsung died just before Xmas and I was thinking of replacing it with a Samsung UE32M5520. I would then buy a second-hand Sky DRX890.

It has now been suggested on another forum that I abandon Sky and move to Humax instead.

My original setup had a Thomson box which I had installed by an installer shortly after the Sky for free started. The dish was put on a garage wall away from the house. They ran 3 core cable rather than 2 core underground in case I wanted to upgrade Sky(was it to multi-room?)

I had thought the dish had to be reconfigured to move from Sky to FreeSat. Now I have been told that is not the case, so my questions are:-

Can I get a) Two Humax boxes one for each room and a new Smart TV or b)one Humax and buy a new Smart Freesat enabled TV and connect both to the same Freesat feed? Or is it c) one smart Humax box and a new Freesat TV? Due to the digging it is not practical to increase the 3 core cable to the dish.

I have read a lot of forums and they suggest d) using a Humax box, ditch the magic eye and use a Triax Tri-Link controller. I don't understand where that would go. Presumably by the new main TV and new box rather than in the loft where the amplifier has feeds to the loft aerial and sky dish plus the sky lead and RF to the Living Room and one RF to the dining room?
    We are on fibre but a long distance from the green box so only get 16-18 bps. The router and modem are in the loft beside the distribution amp. So only Wi-Fi can be used.

Which of these these configurations would give independent control to both TVs (Currently Sky shows the same in both rooms? I would hope retain the Freeview aerial backup, although there are only about 38 channels (half radio) from the local relay.

I have to get the new TV soon, as the temporary replacement TV is a small Bush BTV182T with integrated video and a DVD attached. Therefore not attached to aerial or Sky. No live TV in the living room!!!

Any info missing? Any advice as to the possibilities a) b) c) or d)?
    If a) or b) c) aren't possible and it is d) - How does the remote for the second TV change channels without a magic eye type device in that room?

What Humax box(es) and TV would you recommend? Thinking now of maybe the LG32LJ610V TV in the dining room and move the Toshiba Regza 37RV635D to the living room with possibly a HDR-1100S Smart 500GB? Any advice would be very welcome.

Wuzwine

| Wed 27 Dec 2017 18:38:34 #1 |
  2. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

You mention 3 feeds from the dish but not where the third feed goes. (I presume the living room has two). I will assume the loft.

I would start by ignoring the terrestrial connections which all exist anyway.

I suggest kit as follows:
    1 Humax HDR-1100S for living room.
    1 Humax HB-1100S (inexpensive single feed unit) for the kitchen/dining room.

I am guessing that the kitchen is fed by RF lead from the amp in loft. If this lead has a fairly short run (because usually lower quality than satellite cable) then you could use it to carry the third feed rather than the existing RF.

This would give you a full multi-room setup without the complications of needing a Triax Tri-Link controller.

| Thu 28 Dec 2017 8:41:10 #2 |
  3. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

The tri-link box replaces the internal UHF TV modulator and the circuitry to decode magic eye signals that you will lose if you remove the Sky-box.

Using RF to feed a second TV gives the worst possible quality on the remote TV.

You can use a HDMI extender using network cables to deliver full quality HD and surround sound audio up to 60m,

This one incorporates the required HDMI splitter and remote infra red control using a single cat 6 cable.

https://blusas.co.uk/mho.php?loc=https://www.amazon.co.uk/Extender-Neoteck-Repeater-Splitter-Satellite-Black/dp/B071S7VQWX/ref=sr_1_18_sspa?ie=UTF8&tag=blusas008-21&qid=1514455369&sr=8-18-spons&keywords=neet+hdmi+extender&psc=1

| Thu 28 Dec 2017 10:05:26 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Wuzwine

Thanks Repassac and grahamlthompson for your help,

I am sorry I haven't got three feeds, just one 3 core.It runs underground to my detached garage so will be very difficult to upgrade.

The trouble is there is no HDMI. I bought a Toshiba 32L3753DB LED Full HD 1080p Smart TV in December which has a scart so conected to the Thomson 160 but it developed a fault of dropping WiFi despite a steady 14bps. I then saw a few reviews that mentioned this fault so returned it within the reject period. Just waiting for the refund.

I will have to discuss with the OH, she is currently watching via RF and the picture is not too bad as it is a short run to the Remote-Link distribution amp.
    I would like to replace the 3 RF (the third is to an old Hitachi tuner) with HDMI and run an ethernet to the main TV, but suspect I
    will end up with a something with a scart. I suspect my better half won't want wiring alterations until the Thomson fails!

However none of the current Humax have RF or Scart and I am surprised at the number of people prefering older models.

When up in the loft found a wasps nest so that is now the priority!

Anyway thanks again for the education and a happy new year.

Wuz

| Fri 29 Dec 2017 11:07:48 #4 |
  5. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

You don't need scart. All the current models retain the three connections required as RCA Phone connections CVBS - aka Composite video (yellow), Right channel analogue audio (Red) and Left Channel Analogue Audio (white). All you need is a simple scart to RCA adaptor.

https://blusas.co.uk/mho.php?loc=https://www.amazon.co.uk/Aptii-Scart-Adaptor-S-Video-Switch/dp/B005M1LVOG/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&tag=blusas008-21&qid=1514547480&sr=8-15&keywords=scart+adapter

The attached diagram shows how a tri-link unit replaces a Sky-HD box (It happens to be a BT box but any current Humax unit could be used instead). Only a single feed to a remote TV is shown. In your case that would feed the loft distribution unit. In the case of a satellite box the tri-link RF1 out goes direct to the local TV.

The transmitter shown is Crystal Palace so the UHF channel numbers would only be correct if happen to use this transmitter.

Happy New Year. Incidentally B&Q sell a very effective wasp nest killer you can use from a few matres away.

Attachments

1. TriLink.jpg (125.6 KB, 0 downloads) 6 years old
    | Fri 29 Dec 2017 11:43:34 #5 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.