My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HB 1000S, 1100S

Is this planned to be a "freetime" box?

(8 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Pollensa1946

special member

I'm hoping that this new box from Humax is a full function "freetime" box, simply with the onboard HDD removed, rather than a G1-type box such as the new Manhattan...
    http://www.joinfreesat.co.uk/review-manhattan-plaza-hd-s2-freesat-hd-receiver/
    ...which has a completely different GUI and R/C from the HDR-1000S.
    I'm in the market for the new Humax if it's completely compatible with the HDR-1000S in term of user interface and has client/server comms with the HDR for streaming of recordings.

| Fri 9 Aug 2013 14:09:10 #1 |
  2. Barry

Barry

senior admin

Yep it is a freetime receiver, add an extn HDD and you have a single tuner recorder. I'll post some more details in a seperate thread, however they maybe subject to change.

Edit: See

This thread

Same GUI, same remote, as for the client/server comms not known if this will be available at launch.

| Fri 9 Aug 2013 15:33:43 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Pollensa1946

special member

At under £50 delivered the Manhattan box sure delivers some serious competition for the proposed Humax box. OK, the Manhattan is a G1 box, but given the already developed G2 GUI how much more can Humax charge.
    What would sell the new Humax HB to me, regardless of price (within reason), would be the ability for the HB client to transparently pick up all recordings available on the network from HDR servers (or even other HBs with attached HDDs) and present them in the Recent Recordings GUI. The user having no concerns as to where those recordings actually resided. That would be a real professional GUI. Are Humax capable? If the user has to go looking on the network for recordings then WAF will be very low.

| Mon 12 Aug 2013 8:45:25 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

I'm sure I am missing the obvious with this product and one's of a similar ilk. I can't understand why anyone would want to buy this product without the benefit of a HD for recording purposes. Might be cheaper but the lack of a HD makes it un-attractive and compromised.

| Mon 12 Aug 2013 20:13:04 #4 |
  5. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Faust - 43 minutes ago  » 
    I'm sure I am missing the obvious with this product and one's of a similar ilk. I can't understand why anyone would want to buy this product without the benefit of a HD for recording purposes. Might be cheaper but the lack of a HD makes it un-attractive and compromised.

Many say they don't want to record but want to use the G2 catch up capability. Others want a second box that can view recordings remotely made on a HDR1000/1010s including HD recordings.

Imagine you have a main HDR1000/1010S and two kids. Based on previous Humax kit, you could use the box to view what you want, including recordings, kid1 could watch a live channel or any existing recording to the main box, kid2 could watch a different live TV channel or watch a different recording on the main HDR1000/1010S. (quad lnb required). Add a usb hdd to the extra boxes gives the ability to separately record a different channel to the main 1000/1010s and also watch live a channel using the same mux. Even record the 2nd channel after the first channel recording finishes.

You may not think the new box is desirable as a replacement for the twin tuner box, as a second/third/etc box it's got to be a winner

Incidentally to avoid confusion

HD - High Definition, HDD - Hard Disc Drive.

| Mon 12 Aug 2013 21:17:47 #5 |
  6. Barry

Barry

senior admin

Demand for the Foxsat HD is/was strong, and that wasn't even capable of recording.

| Mon 12 Aug 2013 21:25:24 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Pollensa1946

special member

Faust - 1 hour ago  » 
    I'm sure I am missing the obvious with this product

Yep. If it can deliver what I've outlined in post #3 then there is a substantial market. I will buy another HDR and 2 x HBs. From conversations I'm not untypical.

| Mon 12 Aug 2013 22:06:32 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

Possible solution for some family scenarios though I doubt many would go the route Graham mentions. Personally I would always go for the full version, you can never have enough recording options. I have the HDR 1000s for the lounge. I was going to buy one for the wife as she has her own sewing and ironing room come lounge area, even has the sat cables from when we had Sky multi-room. Anyway for whatever reason she said she didn't need something with all the whistles and bells so I got her the Panasonic HW120 which she loves, it is more basic but very good machine nonetheless. I can pick the Panny up on the Humax and pull programmes from it or even pick it up on my Windows 8 Lappy.

I know you can plug an external USB into the new Humax but I still think the full fat version is the better option - certainly for me it is. Still feels like a cluttered solution

| Mon 12 Aug 2013 23:38:30 #8 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.