My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

Issues with switching to HD and series link issues

(9 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Emma88

I have left Sky and bought a Humax Freesat, 1000s recorder HD plus boxes as I wanted to save some money. I paid £204 for this box so expected this to work how they promised upon installing it in.

The issued I am having is that none of the channels give the option except channel 1 (bbc1)) when you click on them in the guide to "watch in HD". Only channel 1 gives this option. Furthermore when I go onto say for example, channel ITV, this is then supposed to say "press OK to watch in HD", this also does NOT work.

Secondly, I have had issues with recording a series on channel 5. Basically it begins to record every programme called "The Mentalist" across all the channel 5 channels. This therefore causes clashes with other programmes set to record and also records ones I do not actually want it to record. I only want to record the one on channel 5 which is on at 9pm on Tuesdays. This doesn't happen. A temporary fix I found online was to do a manual record, however this isn't what I would expect to have to do from a £204 box and this is also not named so if I had several of these I would not know what programme was which!!

Thirdly, I did have an issue whereby I found a solution online which was the "live pause, rewind etc" did not work. I pressed rewind last night on a live programme and this just brought up a blank black screen. I could not do anything other than go to the guide and re select the channel, whereby I had then missed half of what I wanted to watch. The same happened when I pressed pause etc on a live programme. I reformatted the box and this seems to now be working, however again, for £204 I paid I would not expect that this is something I should have to research online and fix myself!!

I am seriously considering taking the box back and replacing with a "Bush" alternative, which is a lot cheaper too. I am very disappointed so far and would not recommend Humax to anyone based on my current experience as a new customer.

Furthermore the lack of manual to explain what things actually do/what certain things on the menu mean etc makes it very difficult to know what I am actually selecting/changing. I have no idea what it means to "watch none freesat channels" and switch to this. I did this anyway and it put some weird channel on and no menu or list of what any of these channels were so how you navigate I have no idea! I switched back within minutes and feel I do not want to risk going on that again. I also feel most of my problems above have happened (except for the recording Channel 5 series) since switching to this "none freesat" channels. Are these linked?

Has anyone else had similar issues or van anyone advise on any of these?? There are so many good things about it which I love so if I could get the above fixed I would be willing to stay....

| Sun 23 Mar 2014 13:30:53 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Emma88

Sorry if my message is long and a bit ranty. I sent it to humax direct and just edited it

| Sun 23 Mar 2014 13:35:29 #2 |
  3. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Your problems with channel 5 are entirely down to Channel 5's incompetence. You would think by now they would understand how series crid's work.

Basically the problem is that they give the same series crid across all of the different channels instead of a unique one for each channel and a different programme crid for the same episodes. As a result after recording one episode the box looks for the next occurrence in the epg with the same series crid and a different programme crid which it finds. The box has no way of knowing that this is in fact the same as one already recorded. There's nothing Humax can do about this, nor any other Freeview+/Freesat+ box.

You will only find channels in non-freesat if you actually add some using manual tune. There are hundreds of channels transmitted free to air from 28.5/28.2E many of which are not on the freesat epg. Non-Freesat allows you to view these if you so wish.

http://en.kingofsat.net/freqs.php?&pos=28.2E&standard=All&ordre=freq&filtre=Clear

Lack of a SD to HD link is down to the broadcasters not providing the link information to the epg. The BBC do it properly so it works, again nothing to do with Humax. You should complain to freesat and the relevant broadcaster.

| Sun 23 Mar 2014 14:22:36 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Emma88

How come it always worked with sky though in terms of channel 5 and recording a series? Is that different?

those non free sat channels i have never heard of so that's fine at least i know i am not missing out now.

The HD issue. I am sure although cannot be 100% that when I first loaded the box up that this worked fine for other channels but now it suddenly isn't. .. so not sure if this is an issue with the box or free sat. .

Thank you for your reply. The rest made sense so thank you

| Sun 23 Mar 2014 14:27:44 #4 |
  5. -gonzo-

-gonzo-

special member

As Graham has already said, Ch5 series link recordings is Ch5's problem and not an issue with the box, the same happens on both Freesat+ and Freeview+ boxes.
    SD>HD works on all BBC channels, it used to work fine on ITV but they've recently done something that no longer provides this info for the box to use it. Ch4 has never used the SD>HD option. Again not an issue with the box, it's a broadcaster problem.
    The reason you may not of experienced these issues on Sky is because they pretty much have control over their own EPG and how the boxes work with series links etc.
    I won't comment on non-Freesat channels as I don't use them myself.

You'd be best advised to stay clear of the Bush box. It may well be cheaper, but as the saying goes you get what you pay for.

| Sun 23 Mar 2014 14:36:14 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Emma88

Ahh. I see thank you. Despite this being frustrating thank god it is nothing to do with the box.

I really like this box and the way it looks is nice and easy to use.

Are bush not very good then what is the difference between them? my friend has a bush and loves it but i am a bit more picky which is why i went for humax as i thought they were the best.

Thanks everyone. Email sent to channel 5 and going to send one to itv and channel 4 although doubt anything will happen!

Em

| Sun 23 Mar 2014 14:42:30 #6 |
  7. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Emma88 - 4 minutes ago  » 
    How come it always worked with sky though in terms of channel 5 and recording a series? Is that different?
    those non free sat channels i have never heard of so that's fine at least i know i am not missing out now.
    The HD issue. I am sure although cannot be 100% that when I first loaded the box up that this worked fine for other channels but now it suddenly isn't. .. so not sure if this is an issue with the box or free sat. .
    Thank you for your reply. The rest made sense so thank you

Sky do their own series codeing. The same problem causes Home And Away to double record each episode.

ITV HD moved all their regional channels to a new transponder recently, I think that's when the linking issue for this channel started.

Apart from regional news programmes why do you not simply set recordings from the HD channel epg ?

Incidentally you can quickly move in the epg to a specific channel if you know the channel number.

While watching 108 press the guide button and tap 119 to see what I mean.

You can also set up a favourites epg view.

There's more info on using the box. Home - Help and Info.

| Sun 23 Mar 2014 14:43:59 #7 |
  8. -gonzo-

-gonzo-

special member

Hooray, the SD>HD prompts have returned on 103

| Thu 10 Apr 2014 19:54:52 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

Emma88

Awe cheers didn't realise till you wrote that! Cheers.

| Thu 10 Apr 2014 21:49:49 #9 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.