My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

ITV Hub

(14 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

jaeger

I've stopped using ITV hub on my 5000, It's just so slow, Is it just mine? I've the same DNS as I've always had (I've put them up before, seem to be the same as other peoples)

| Wed 1 Apr 2020 8:41:05 #1 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Just measured start up time from clicking on the ITV- HUb item to the Home page display. using the clock stopwatch on my Android Phone

Result 23.69 seconds ISP download speed 100Mbps

Moved down to The Good Karma Hospital and clicked play ep 03

Result 16 seconds to playback starting

If you can confirm your ISP speed and repeat the test it should show if yours is very slow.

| Wed 1 Apr 2020 12:18:54 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

jaeger

On my 5000 from select to Hub home page 2 minutes 24 on my LG TV 15 seconds with a download speed of 35Mbps
    iPlayer on 5000 19 seconds

| Wed 1 Apr 2020 14:01:01 #3 |
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

jaeger - 2 hours ago  » 
    On my 5000 from select to Hub home page 2 minutes 24 on my LG TV 15 seconds with a download speed of 35Mbps
    iPlayer on 5000 19 seconds

My download speed is about 2.86 faster than yours.

Roughly had I got your download speed my time to home screen would be roughly about 50 seconds.

How is your TV and 5000T connected to your router ? All my kit gives a speed router to 5000T (hardwired) of about 300Mbps so the limit is the isp.

Connecting using WiFi would mean the WiFi link is likely to be the limiting factor.

I will repeat same using a HDR-1000S to check the relative speeds of the boxes.

| Wed 1 Apr 2020 16:57:05 #4 |
  5. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

The HDR-1000s is a tiny bit faster but not of any significance

Time to Home screen 18.69 second

Time to replay about 8 seconds.

So 5000T is a bit slower but certainly not slow enough to make it unusable.

How did you measure speed from router to 5000T at 35 mbps. Or is that what you get using a download speed test.

| Wed 1 Apr 2020 17:10:35 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

jaeger

5000 & TV connected via LAN, used on line speed test.
    I can't see how it's my internet speed, it's always been 35Mbps and has worked fine since I've had it, the TV will load ITV hub in 15 seconds, ITV hub on my laptop loads and plays almost instantly I can stream youtube & Netflix on the 5000, iplayer and all 4 work fine and Amazon 4kHD on my TV with no problems so I'm not convinced getting faster broadband would work and I don't think I could get it if I wanted and certainly not just to get ITV hub to work on one device when it works fine elsewhere.

| Wed 1 Apr 2020 17:54:59 #6 |
  7. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

FVP has it's own servers. Your TV does not. The fact that one is quicker than the other means nothing. Perhaps it's a server issue. I have other Kit I could check but only 1 FVP device, but that will mean nothing. My TV has WebOS for instance.

We need someone else with a 4000/5000T with a faster download speed to compare.

| Wed 1 Apr 2020 19:58:12 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

jaeger

My BT router is saying connected to FVP at 100mb I've never measured it.
    I'm confused, in a previous post GrahamRHK said FVP4000/5000 series boxes connect directly to online services.Or do they connect to on line services through humax server?

| Wed 1 Apr 2020 21:12:10 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

grahamlthompson - 2 hours ago  » 
    FVP has it's own servers.

That was certainly true on earlier Humax boxes. How do you know it is true for the FVP boxes?

| Wed 1 Apr 2020 22:49:39 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

GrahamRHK

special member

Definitely something wrong with ITV Hub. Splash screen shows after 10 seconds then more than 2 minutes to get the Home screen. Then very unresponsive to remote control. Eventually managed to stream a show. Exit ITV Hub. Same symptoms on restart. But when trying to stream a show I get either "something wrong with my internet connection" or "where's my show". Netflix and iPlayer working as expected.

Or do they connect to on line services through humax server?

FVP connects directly to programme provider servers. However it also connects to the Humax portal - that may be to get the current list of programme provider server URLs which no doubt change over time.
    I'll update here if I learn more.

| Thu 2 Apr 2020 8:42:57 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.