My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

I've Defected to Freeview

(16 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

scgf - 14 hours ago  » 
    I had the HDR1100S box and mine could only record two programmes at once so if it needed to record a third it couldn't. My HD channels were numbered 108 BBC1 HD, 109 BBC2 HD, 119 ITV1HD, No C4 HD, 105 Channel 5 HD and so on. In my experience ALL digital set top boxes crash at some point - just like computers - you can never say never. Some crash once a year, others more regularly. Do a search on Google for "hdr 1100S crashes" and you will see that Freesat users are affected by a degree of instability in their boxes.
    I would be seriously shocked if your older box is any different.
    How is Freesat the best of the bunch for you? The only advantage I can see - assuming you have a functioning dish and aerial - is the huge number of poor quality channels on Freesat.

It's simply been and still is a better functioning more stable and reliable recorder - period. They just don't come any better than this IMO. I have had far more hardware/firmware issues on the Freeview side of things. The amount of channels doesn't come into it, though it can be handy at times to watch different regions in the UK.

You say you would be shocked if my 'older' box is any different. Well shocked, nay horrified you are then, as it's proved to be one of the best PVRs I have ever owned (and I have had quite a few). It's a two tuner recorder so how many channels do you expect it to record.

| Sun 1 Apr 2018 22:31:32 #11 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

scgf

I cited three things I didn't like about Freesat - the channel numbering, programming clashes and a degree of instability. You said "it's certainly not the experience I have ever had with mine" = suggesting your box had none of these issues.

Just one of these issues appears to be better than the experience I had - you are very lucky that your box bucks the trend and has never crashed. I occasionally used to switch my system on to watch a programme I thought it had recorded and found the box had frozen and the recording had not been made. I have never had this experience with my FVP-4000T or my BT YouView boxes. The FVP-4000T has crashed, but only when playing back recordings, never while on stand-by.

It would be interesting to discover why your Freesat box has been immune to such issues. I've been looking at reviews online and there are plenty of people who do not mention crashes or freezing but plenty who do. It looks like it's the luck of the draw.

| Mon 2 Apr 2018 7:45:53 #12 |
  3. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

No freezing or other instability with either my HDR-1000S or Foxsat-HDR.

| Mon 2 Apr 2018 12:08:55 #13 |
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

scgf - 1 day ago  » 
    I had the HDR1100S box and mine could only record two programmes at once so if it needed to record a third it couldn't. My HD channels were numbered 108 BBC1 HD, 109 BBC2 HD, 119 ITV1HD, No C4 HD, 105 Channel 5 HD and so on. In my experience ALL digital set top boxes crash at some point - just like computers - you can never say never. Some crash once a year, others more regularly. Do a search on Google for "hdr 1100S crashes" and you will see that Freesat users are affected by a degree of instability in their boxes.
    I would be seriously shocked if your older box is any different.
    How is Freesat the best of the bunch for you? The only advantage I can see - assuming you have a functioning dish and aerial - is the huge number of poor quality channels on Freesat.

It is actually possible to record 3 channels in a roundabout way.

Set two recordings and add a watch reservation on a channel sharing a transponder with either recording. This ensures the 3rd channel time shift buffer has the start of the programme. When one of the two recordings completes, press the instant record button. This converts the time shift buffer to a actual recording which will terminate when the 3rd programme finishes.

| Mon 2 Apr 2018 12:13:39 #14 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

scgf - 4 hours ago  » 
    I cited three things I didn't like about Freesat - the channel numbering, programming clashes and a degree of instability. You said "it's certainly not the experience I have ever had with mine" = suggesting your box had none of these issues.
    Just one of these issues appears to be better than the experience I had - you are very lucky that your box bucks the trend and has never crashed. I occasionally used to switch my system on to watch a programme I thought it had recorded and found the box had frozen and the recording had not been made. I have never had this experience with my FVP-4000T or my BT YouView boxes. The FVP-4000T has crashed, but only when playing back recordings, never while on stand-by.
    It would be interesting to discover why your Freesat box has been immune to such issues. I've been looking at reviews online and there are plenty of people who do not mention crashes or freezing but plenty who do. It looks like it's the luck of the draw.

Well the channel numbering is no longer as you suggested.

Programme clashes - you've lost me there. Any PVR will have programme clashes depending on the mux you are on and how many programmes you are trying to record, so that's an issue pertaining to all PVRs.

The HDR1000s has a known issue and always has had i.e. when switching on (very occasionally) we will find no recordings in the recordings folders. Work around - pull the power plug, wait a minute then reboot - problem solved. This is no different to an issue most computers suffer with from time to time.

My BT Youview box has had far more issues of freezing and on one occasion I have had to perform a full reset which resulted in losing all my recordings. I have had to go into Hotel Mode and use housekeeping a number of times.

I do think there have been more issues with the 1100s than the earlier models - perhaps an issue of penny pinching by Humax, who really knows.

I note plenty of posts on the 4000/5000T forums with users experiencing faults - why is that?

| Mon 2 Apr 2018 12:14:02 #15 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

scgf

I have much better things to do than champion a particular TV set top box! They're all a bit dodgy in one way or another, the FVP-4000T had plenty of problems in its time. It has only recently calmed down to be a reliable box. I used to get a lot of programme clashes on the Freesat box because most programmes I wanted to record were aired around the same time - 7-10pm. The ability to record up to 4 programmes at the same time is a huge advantage of the FVP-x000T. For me a massive deal-maker. Obviously all boxes will have restraints regarding simultaneous recordings, but four is always better than two.

The Freesat channel numbering is still all over the place. I am only interested in HD channels, so it is still 106 for BBC1HD and 111 for ITVHD. And no C4 HD at all!

At the end of the day it is our personal experience which matters. I got rid of my Freesat box because of the three issues I outlined in previous posts and am most happy with the FVP-4000T, the reverse is the case with you. It is good we have choices!

| Mon 2 Apr 2018 13:46:44 #16 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.