My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

Leaving on standby overnight

(5 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

stardust

This is my first post as just purchased the 1010s model recently.

As a safety precaution I prefer to switch off everything electrical at the power switch each night but had read somewhere that it should be left on standby overnight in order for automatic updates. If I want to manually update how often are these available i.e. is it weekly, monthly etc?

Hope the following isn't too stupid a question, as it's very obvious I'm not technically minded so - although the fan is very quiet, once the machine is switched to standby can I immediately turn it off at the wall or does it need to 'power down' for a few minutes beforehand? Thanks.

| Tue 11 Mar 2014 17:51:37 #1 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Welcome to the forum. You probably need to leave the box around 15 mins or so after going into sby to be sure it is fully in sby.

Leave it on, it uses a minute 0.5W of power. The box updates as soon as any updates are transmitted.

| Tue 11 Mar 2014 17:57:39 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

stardust

Thank you very much Graham for answering my query. This information is really helpful and much appreciated,and I will do as you suggest.

| Fri 14 Mar 2014 19:10:09 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

althos

Updates are so infrequent that it is pointless leaving it on. I've had one software update in the 9 months i've owned the box. EPG updates happen automatically.My TV, DVD, network splitter and humax are all connected to the same socket via a remoted RF switch which I hit as I leave the room to go to bed and it powers down everything. It takes about 15 secs for everything to get going again and you can check for software updates by going into the system settings menu. 15 mins to standby???

| Fri 28 Mar 2014 23:46:30 #4 |
  5. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

althos -

Pulling the power without entering standby risks disk corruption as the unit is writing to disk nearly all the time i.e. when you are watching TV.

Of course powered off it is also not going record any programme on it's schedule.

| Sat 29 Mar 2014 7:11:56 #5 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.