My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » FOXSAT HDR

LNB 1 Out Question

(11 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

autolycus

My Humax LNB in terminals are connected to a twin LNB dish. Today i connected the 'LNB 1 out' terminal to the satellite input on my TV. Everything seemed to work but when i switched the Humax to standby, i lost all my TV satellite channels.

After some research. I gathered the solution was to turn off the 'power saving on standby' in settings, but that seems to have had no effect.

Is there a way i can maintain a satellite signal to my TV even when the Humax is off or in standby?

Thanks.

| Sat 19 Feb 2022 15:47:59 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Luke

special member

Its real purpose is for when the FOXSAT is not in full stand-by. If used as intended by the design, then there is no need that it should remain active when in full stand-by.

The "LNB 1 out" is for those who have only 1 LNB from their dish, and when this occurs it should be connected to "LNB 2 IN".

| Sat 19 Feb 2022 17:09:19 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

autolycus

Thanks for the reply. That's pretty much how i've always understood things. But in the manual it does state that LNB 1 out connects to another digital satellite receiver. And in the settings instructions - Power Saving in Standby - it says when 'on' the LNB loop-through will be disabled (implying that when 'off' it won't). That's why i hoped that the system might work in the way i envisaged.

| Sat 19 Feb 2022 18:18:37 #3 |
  4. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

The manual has a number of errors - The impage of the connections are copied from another receiver and show the wrong sat.

LNB 1 out is cannot supply a good connection to a another receiver as when the Foxsat is on the LNB will be fully controlled by the Foxsat limiting the channels that a second receiver can use.

From memory power saving in standby turns on displaying the time.

| Sun 20 Feb 2022 11:44:41 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

autolycus

Yes, that's just about the only reliable difference i could see, although the LNB out does seem to work as a pass-through satellite input to my TV, at least while the Humax stays on.

Could i use a simple splitter? If so, should i split the signal to LNB1 or LNB2 - or would it not matter?

BTW perhaps i should mention i have the modified firmware, not that i can see it would make any difference.

| Sun 20 Feb 2022 12:41:41 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Luke

special member

autolycus - 17 mins ago  » 

the LNB out does seem to work as a pass-through satellite input to my TV, at least while the Humax stays on.

How did you check that it "works"?

Did you check that you could watch a channel selected from all 4 quadrants of the satellite broadcasts I.e. vertical-low, vertical-high, horizontal-low and horizontal high?

Dud you check while switching between channels on the different quadrants using the TV that a recording on the FOXSAT HDR still recorded without any loss of sections of the programme being recorded?

| Sun 20 Feb 2022 13:05:08 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

autolycus

No, none of that. Perhaps i should have said "seems to work". I just checked that the TV sat epg populated and tried a few random channels. As soon as i went into standby on the Humax, i could not seem to get any channels (i didn't try them all)on the TV sat.

I should add that this morning i could get no channels on the TV sat whether or not it was in standby and had to rescan the TV sat to get it to 'work' as before.

I really have no knowledge of vertical and horizontal quadrants - just 'your average punter' trying to get the most out of his Humax. As usual, there seems to be no simple solution to what seemed to me (in my ignorance)to be a simple problem

I suppose a splitter's not going to do the trick either?

| Sun 20 Feb 2022 13:18:38 #7 |
  8. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

A splitter will not wrork witha standard universal LNB. It is an active device that is switched to one of four quadrents by two receiver signals. So only one receiver can really control at once.

There is another type of LNB that is supported by the Foxsat - a unicable LNB - this allows slitting up to 8 times. I have setup 4 on a Foxsat using the hidden antenna menu. It works by selecting a subset of LNB output frequencies to be allocated to that receiver. (the Foxsat default of 4 works well).
    Check if you TV supports uni-cable. Inverto is a good make.

| Sun 20 Feb 2022 13:43:30 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

autolycus

Thanks for the tip. However, i've just had my 'standard' LNB replaced at a tad under 100 quid and i'm not over-fussed at setting up the system i've described, especially when i really don't understand what i'm doing.

I suppose i could dedicate one LNB to the TV and the other to the Humax (with a loop from LNB 1 out to LNB 2 in). That however would presumably restrict me to recording only the channel to which the Humax is tuned?

| Sun 20 Feb 2022 15:01:58 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

Luke

special member

autolycus - 1 hour ago  » 
    I suppose i could dedicate one LNB to the TV and the other to the Humax (with a loop from LNB 1 out to LNB 2 in). That however would presumably restrict me to recording only the channel to which the Humax is tuned?

It would restrict you to any other channel on the same quadrant.

i've just had my 'standard' LNB replaced

Are you using all its LNBs?

I suppose i could dedicate one LNB to the TV and the other to the Humax (with a loop from LNB 1 out to LNB 2 in).

Is this for a different TV than the TV with the FOXSAT connected?

| Sun 20 Feb 2022 16:22:15 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.