My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

Loss of Freesat Signal on HDR-1000S

(8 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

totnesdave

Hi there, I have lost my Freesat signal recently on my Humax HDR-1000S box, and am really at a loss as to why after faultfinding as best I can.

I have been seeing the occasional brief 'no signal' drop out lately which always resolved within a few seconds and would only affect a few channels randomly.

This week I started having 'no signal' reported on many channels after dark, but fine during the day, then after a couple of days it degraded to a very few such as BBC1/2 being available at any time of day or night.

In Settings, the box reported a near full bar for signal strength and a full bar for signal quality on both inputs when set to a functioning channel, but all signal bars were completely empty when the box was set to one of the dropped out channels.

I did a Reset and Retune of the box, and promptly lost all channels completely. Channel search finds nothing in Freesat mode now, and reports Antenna Signal detected (LNB only). Channel listing is completely unpopulated and I cannot get past the bit where you put the postcode in.

If I put it into non-Freesat mode though, it will search, find and view many channels so it seems the dish and connection are working.

I also disconnected and reconnected both satellite connection leads between the box and the sockets. Also tried turning the box off at the wall for some time.

So the Humax is working fine for On Demand, Recordings, Non-Freesat mode etc, just no signal for Freesat.

I am puzzling to figure it out further, not knowing much about STB's and satellite TV in general but tried to explain with as many details as I can, in the hope it points in any particular direction ?

Any ideas and pointers much appreciated !

Thanks again

Dave

| Thu 15 Apr 2021 12:43:17 #1 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

totnesdave - 2 mins ago  » 
    Hi there, I have lost my Freesat signal recently on my Humax HDR-1000S box, and am really at a loss as to why after faultfinding as best I can.
    I have been seeing the occasional brief 'no signal' drop out lately which always resolved within a few seconds and would only affect a few channels randomly.
    This week I started having 'no signal' reported on many channels after dark, but fine during the day, then after a couple of days it degraded to a very few such as BBC1/2 being available at any time of day or night.
    In Settings, the box reported a near full bar for signal strength and a full bar for signal quality on both inputs when set to a functioning channel, but all signal bars were completely empty when the box was set to one of the dropped out channels.
    I did a Reset and Retune of the box, and promptly lost all channels completely. Channel search finds nothing in Freesat mode now, and reports Antenna Signal detected (LNB only). Channel listing is completely unpopulated and I cannot get past the bit where you put the postcode in.
    If I put it into non-Freesat mode though, it will search, find and view many channels so it seems the dish and connection are working.
    I also disconnected and reconnected both satellite connection leads between the box and the sockets. Also tried turning the box off at the wall for some time.
    So the Humax is working fine for On Demand, Recordings, Non-Freesat mode etc, just no signal for Freesat.
    I am puzzling to figure it out further, not knowing much about STB's and satellite TV in general but tried to explain with as many details as I can, in the hope it points in any particular direction ?
    Any ideas and pointers much appreciated !
    Thanks again
    Dave

There are a number of possibilities.

1 The water sealing at the dish lnb connections has failed allowing water in to the coax cabling. This can track down inside the coax cabling especially if the cable uses air spaced dialetric. If this gets into you box it can brick it. Turn off the power check the coax connections at the box. Any sign off damp. Do no use it until the cables are replaced. You may have to remove the wallplate to check the rear connections for damp.

Freesat mode requires access to one specific transponder which is horizontally polarised.

2 The LNB itself has failed. It's possible the lnb can only get vertically polarised channels. If you post some channels that you can get in non freesat one of us can check the polarisation for you. If the dish is accessible this is a easy DIY swap. LNB's are as cheap as chips on e-bay

3 The Dish has moved in say high winds. Again if accessible with a bit of advice and someone to to report the signal and quality readings to re-align the dish.

| Thu 15 Apr 2021 12:55:25 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

totnesdave

Thanks for the reply,

The dish is quite old, a grey one, seems to say Sky and Quad on the LNB, best I can see. I am in South Devon, UK, by the way.

I found well over 400 channels before in non Freesat mode, are there any particular ones that will be useful for debug ?

There are also transponders, which I have set to ALL

I'm running another channel search now in non Freesat mode and will see what I can find.

| Thu 15 Apr 2021 13:31:20 #3 |
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

totnesdave - 8 mins ago  » 
    Thanks for the reply,
    The dish is quite old, a grey one, seems to say Sky and Quad on the LNB, best I can see. I am in South Devon, UK, by the way.
    I found well over 400 channels before in non Freesat mode, are there any particular ones that will be useful for debug ?
    There are also transponders, which I have set to ALL
    I'm running another channel search now in non Freesat mode and will see what I can find.

Any that you have in both Non Freesat Mode and Freesat mode.

These channels appear for all Freesat Post codes.

If Horizontal ones are missing in Freesat mode. that would be a good clue Note 999 this is a data channel on the home transponder if missing you should never try a freesat re-tune

There is another but less likely explanation. If the LNB skew (twist in the holder) is way out it might also explain loss of Horizontal ones.

949 BBC Two HD 10773 H
    950 BBC 1 London 10773 H
    951 BBC 1 CI 10773 H
    952 BBC 1 E Mids 10788 V
    953 BBC 1 East (E) 10788 V
    954 BBC 1 East (W) 10773 H
    955 BBC 1 N West 10802 H
    956 BBC 1 NE & C 10802 H
    957 BBC 1 NI 10817 V
    958 BBC 1 Oxford 10817 V
    959 BBC 1 S East 10802 H
    960 BBC 1 Scotland 10802 H
    961 BBC 1 South 10817 V
    962 BBC 1 S West 10817 V
    963 BBC 1 W Mids 10788 V
    964 BBC 1 Wales 10788 V
    965 BBC 1 West 10773 H
    966 BBC 1 Yorks 10802 H
    967 BBC 1 EYrks&L 10788 V
    968 BBC 2 England 10773 H
    969 BBC 2 NI 10817 V
    970 BBC 2 Scotland 10802 H
    971 BBC 2 Wales HD 10788 V
    972 BBC ONE HD (England) 10847 V
    973 BBC 1 Scot HD 11023 H
    974 Channel 4 10714 H
    975 Channel 4 + 1 10936 V
    976 BBC 1 Wales HD 11023 H
    977 ITV 10758 V
    978 BBC 1 NI HD 10847 V
    979 BBC Two Wales 10788 V
    999 Freesat Info 11427 H

| Thu 15 Apr 2021 13:43:44 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

totnesdave

I think I'm getting into even more of a muddle.

When switching over to non Freesat mode this time I got a message :

"audio/video decoding buffer is under-run"

I ran a Non-Freesat channel search on All Transponders which found 443 channels including various BBC and ITV and Sky ones but it completed with the above error again and nothing useable.

I have no channel number listing present to refer to in either mode, but I ran a non-Freesat channel search on various transponders in your list.

The Horizontal transponders all seem to have zero channels found (including nothing from Freesat Info 11427H) while the Vertical ones do find lots of channels.

I ran another non-Freesat channel search specifying one Vertical transponder and found 433 channels but on saving them just ended up with a black screen and then nothing to browse again.

Sorry, I hope the above makes any kind of sense, I'm a bit out of my depth !

The cables seemed dry, by the way on checking.

| Thu 15 Apr 2021 15:01:20 #5 |
  6. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

I vaguely remember this being reported before. Try entering 2580 on the remote if you have the message.

Certainly looking like the lnb is shot.

| Thu 15 Apr 2021 15:58:39 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

totnesdave

Thanks for the help Graham, it all seems to have pointed me in the general direction of misalignment or failure of the LNB, rather than the Freesat box.

I'll have to figure out best way to deal with it. Dish itself is a bit corroded and old !

| Thu 15 Apr 2021 17:08:44 #7 |
  8. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

totnesdave - 1 hour ago  » 
    Thanks for the help Graham, it all seems to have pointed me in the general direction of misalignment or failure of the LNB, rather than the Freesat box.
    I'll have to figure out best way to deal with it. Dish itself is a bit corroded and old !

The unit failing compared with the LNB and dish is about 1 to 100 at least.

| Thu 15 Apr 2021 18:16:31 #8 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.