My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

Loss of signal

(19 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Orkney

I've already written this post and sent it to the forum but can't find it so apologies if this is a duplicate.
    For the last couple of weeks our Humax box has been losing signal. I called an engineer out last week and he said the LNB needed changing.
    It worked until the next morning when we had torrential rain and the channels started to go again. I put it down to the heavy rain which continued all week. On Friday I plugged in an old box in the bedroom to see if the signal worked ok in there and it was perfect. I did notice though that every time I turned on the box in the bedroom the channels came back on the one downstairs. When the bedroom box is turned off some of the channels downstairs disappear again.
    The engineer is coming back next week to look at it. I'm concerned he's going to charge me all over again for something that he should have picked up last week. I'm also worried that it's going to be something like water in the cables as I've read posts saying that the cables would need replacing if that's the case and it would be big job to do that in our house as the cables downstairs run behind two huge heavy bookcases that can't be moved easily.
    Does anyone have any clue as to what could be going on?

| Sat 1 Dec 2018 23:45:33 #1 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

You may need a somewhat larger dish purely bacause of our extreme Northern location especially if you watch channels still on Europe beam transpondders.

| Sat 1 Dec 2018 23:57:33 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Orkney

I'm actually down south (misleading username - I just love the Scottish Islands :wink:).

| Sat 1 Dec 2018 23:59:54 #3 |
  4. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

Is the old bedroom box a Sky or a freesat unit?
    Can you also post signal quality levels on say BBC HD and BBC SD plus others if the vary a lot.

| Sun 2 Dec 2018 8:09:11 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Orkney

The bedroom one is freesat too. Where do I find signal quality levels?

| Sun 2 Dec 2018 9:33:40 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Orkney

had a look at the signal page and right at the moment the signal is coming and going all the time. it either says good or no signal. that's for both tuners.
    both boxes feel very hot - especially the one upstairs which doesn't seem normal

| Sun 2 Dec 2018 10:47:17 #6 |
  7. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

I would start by checking the F-connectors (the screw in LNB cable connector to the Humax. Check for poor fit - this must make a good electrical connection and make a circuit.

Very hot is not normal especially on a unit with an external power supply.

You did not mention is the signal levels were the same on all channels. Water ingression, for example, tends to start with with a few and progress.

| Sun 2 Dec 2018 11:10:15 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Orkney

it's varying between good and no signal on tuner 1 and 2. the connectors seem to be ok but then i'm a complete luddite with anything electronic. i've made sure they're screwed up tight.

| Sun 2 Dec 2018 12:08:12 #8 |
  9. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

I generally put a small kink in the inner core so it fits snugly in the inner piece of the F-corrector. The outer braid or foil must make a good connection with the outer F-connector.

| Sun 2 Dec 2018 12:19:23 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

Orkney

Sorry you've lost me now Do you mean the little spiky bit inside the connectors?

| Sun 2 Dec 2018 13:18:42 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.