My Humax Forum » Miscellaneous » Other Humax Products

Lost tuners -down to 1 on HMS-1000T

(7 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

leanneplanck

My HMS-1000T now only has signal on one tuner (down from 4). I have tried the obvious of resetting it but not helping. Aerial is split but TV signal is good

Any suggestions on how to rectify?

| Wed 31 Jul 2019 10:26:10 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

A1944

special member

I am not familiar with this box, but with some Humax boxes, signal levels are only shown for tuners which are actually in use at that time, either watching a programme or recording. So if you were just watching a programme without recording anything they would only show one.

| Wed 31 Jul 2019 11:27:13 #2 |
  3. aldaweb

aldaweb

administrator

We are mostly UK based here, but if there are any other Australians watching perhaps they could jump in.
    Otherwise try setting a few recordings from different frequencies from the one you are watching and check signal again.

| Wed 31 Jul 2019 19:19:51 #3 |
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

aldaweb - 1 hour ago  » 
    We are mostly UK based here, but if there are any other Australians watching perhaps they could jump in.
    Otherwise try setting a few recordings from different frequencies from the one you are watching and check signal again.

We have a similar box here. It is believed that unused tuners are powered down to reduce power consumption (every bit helps to save the planet). Like everything else it makes complete sense to turn off anything that is not required to support the box pvr features.

In the UK (thanks to EU power saving regulations), all current pvrs have to be capable of waking from standby with a power requirement of less than 0.5W.

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/tv-and-home-entertainment/digital-and-smart-tv/set-top-boxes/humax-fvp-5000t-freeview-play-smart-digital-tv-recorder-500-gb-10169599-pdt.html

Guessing this box is a Australian sourced box. No idea what the regs re-power consumption in sby are compared to Europe, but guess they are likely to be similar.

Also no clue as to what the Aussie digital mux are contained in each Mux which are likely to vary widely across such a huge country.
    HD terrestial transmissions in the UK are now exclusively DVB-T2, while SD remains DVB-T.

The info for say Perth will be totally different to other major populated centres.

We have hundreds of digital terrestrial transmitters to cover the UK but just one satellite location to cover the whole UK. A group of satellites owned and operated by a Luxembourg Company SES Astra). They transmit a mixture of encrypted content requiring a Sky subscription or hundreds of channels without encryption viewable for free on generic Free To Air satellite receivers.

https://en.kingofsat.net/freqs.php?&pos=28.2E&standard=All&ordre=freq&filtre=Clear

You need local info for this (could be UHF/VHF, Different MUX spacing and DVB-T/DVB-T2 modulation). Perhaps find a locally based forum.

We can of course search the internet for example

https://www.google.com/search?q=DVB-T2+in+Australia&rlz=1C1CHBF_en-GBGB855GB855&oq=DVB-T2+in+Australia&aqs=chrome..69i57j0.14884j0j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

It appears that the Gold Coast is likely to be the first to use the more efficient DVB-T2 modulation that increases the bandwidth available for each multiplex (MUX). This can be used to increase the numbers of channels (or provide superior video quality content for fewer channels)

The UK uses H264/AVC for HD video compression which is more efficient than mpeg2 used for SD content.

Again you need local knowledge.

I can say Aussie enthusiasts allowed UK experts to create some brilliant add ons for the Topfield PVRs, so no shortage of local knowledge,

So no shortage of local knowledge

| Wed 31 Jul 2019 21:30:24 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

leanneplanck

Thanks for your comments. Power management setting are all turned off so don't think it is this.
    I redid all channels and then had two tuners.

Then tried to record 4 shows at the same time off peak. Interesting they recorded and then going showed 4 tuners. After turned off only showed on tuner. Maybe just the way it is shows and works and maybe problems having are only aerial at peak times so will monitor this.
    Thanks again

| Thu 1 Aug 2019 6:23:36 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

A1944

special member

Sounds like it is probably working as intended. That appears to match my previous post.

| Thu 1 Aug 2019 7:55:06 #6 |
  7. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

leanneplanck - 8 hours ago  » 
    Thanks for your comments. Power management setting are all turned off so don't think it is this.
    I redid all channels and then had two tuners.
    Then tried to record 4 shows at the same time off peak. Interesting they recorded and then going showed 4 tuners. After turned off only showed on tuner. Maybe just the way it is shows and works and maybe problems having are only aerial at peak times so will monitor this.
    Thanks again

Based on UK Humax terrestrial recorders a single tuner can record two channels at the same time from the same multiplex. For example the 3 tuner FVP-5000T could record two channels from one mutiplex and two more from another mux using just a 2nd tuner.

There is no way to enable display of unused tuners because the box powers them down. So the number of recordings that you have set is not an indication of the number of tuners that will be used.

You need to look up your local terrestrial transmitter on the internet and identify which channels are on each digital multiplex to work out how many tuners are going to be needed. The time off peak or on peak has no significance.

Example of a UK based transmitter here.

This is Sutton Coldfield in the West Midlands.

https://ukfree.tv/transmitters/tv/Sutton_Coldfield

If you look you should see that is has 9 digital multiplexes.

As A1944 says it looks as if the box is working just fine,

| Thu 1 Aug 2019 15:25:42 #7 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.