My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

low sound on some channels?

(4 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

tbkbt

in the last week or so the volume on certain channels is really low. all the BBC are fine, channel 5 is too, but anything by channel 4 or ITV is inaudible until I turn the volume all the way up. it's almost like my box isn't decoding the mux's right. I've done a re-scan but the issue's still there, anything else I can try before ditching the box? I have had it for about 6 years now.

| Thu 16 Jul 2020 20:13:33 #1 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

whats the ertian channels ?

Assuming you are using a TV for the audio and not a AV Receiver.

Step 1 turndown down your TV volume using its own remote.

Step 2 turn up the box volume using it's own remote.

Step 3 Using the box remote access the TV settings menu. Change digital audio out to stereo.

Step 4 switch to a SD channel and turn up the TV volume to a normal listening level.

Step 5 switch to a HD channel and confirm the volume is around the same level.

From then on use the TV remote not the box one to control the volume.

| Thu 16 Jul 2020 20:22:26 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

tbkbt

i feed the box into a denon receiver. the box volume is all the way up and then the Denon receiver controls the volume.
    just there if I watch it SD its inaudible unless I crank it up, but if I hit ok to watch in HD the volume is normal. all BBC are normal as far as I've noticed, ITV and channel 4 are quiet, channel 5 is fine.

| Thu 16 Jul 2020 20:26:15 #3 |
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

tbkbt - 4 mins ago  » 
    i feed the box into a denon receiver. the box volume is all the way up and then the Denon receiver controls the volume.
    just there if I watch it SD its inaudible unless I crank it up, but if I hit ok to watch in HD the volume is normal. all BBC are normal as far as I've noticed, ITV and channel 4 are quiet, channel 5 is fine.

The receiver should have a setting to control the basic level on the hdmi input you are using. . Set up as suggested the level should be the similar whatever channel you are viewing.

I have a HDR-1000S and a FVP-5000T on different inputs both have similar levels because the levels are setup for each input.

Basically by default SD channels using mpeg 1 layer 2 audio is set to 60%. A normal box with a fixed output would use 100%. Turning up the box volume to 100% makes it the same as a normal fixed level source.

The box can vary the volume of Mpeg audio but not the Dolby Digital audio which is hard coded into the compressed audio stream. It can only be altered after the ac3 is decoded to analogue PCM audio.

You might want to consider using a HDMI splitter to send the box output to two HDMI inputs on you AVR. Set 1 to the required level for HD ac3 audio and the other for SD mpeg audio sources.

That should allow 5.1 audio when available on a HD source

| Thu 16 Jul 2020 20:35:06 #4 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.