My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HB 1000S, 1100S

Manually setting gateway, netmask & dns with wifi

(5 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

richtoy

Hi,

Just got a HB-1000S and a wifi dongle and it connects to my default gateway on my router. However, what I actually want to connect to is a different subnet that its own gateway.

On my Foxsat HDR and Samsung SMART TVs I just manually change the network settings but I don't find the option on the HB-1000S. Is there a trick?

Thanks,
    Richard

| Thu 2 Oct 2014 20:22:46 #1 |
  2. Barry

Barry

senior admin

Welcome to our Forum

Try turning off DHCP on your router (or turn router off) then on the HB1000S select connect automatically, and wait a short while for the manual settings option.

| Thu 2 Oct 2014 20:35:46 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

richtoy

Hi and thanks for your response. Unfortunately it does not work

To even get the device to prompt me to insert manual data I have to connect an physical ethernet cable and laptop. However, once the settings have been made and I remove the ethernet cable and turn the main router back on the device reverts to dhcp and overwrites the manual settings with the ones it gets from the router

I suppose this is fine for most bog standard homes but there should be a way to override this default behaviour.

Even a sky box allowed me to manually set the parameters in the wifi!!!

Any other suggestions?

Richard

| Fri 3 Oct 2014 20:02:24 #3 |
  4. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

richtoy - 8 hours ago  » 
    Hi and thanks for your response. Unfortunately it does not work
    To even get the device to prompt me to insert manual data I have to connect an physical ethernet cable and laptop. However, once the settings have been made and I remove the ethernet cable and turn the main router back on the device reverts to dhcp and overwrites the manual settings with the ones it gets from the router
    I suppose this is fine for most bog standard homes but there should be a way to override this default behaviour.
    Even a sky box allowed me to manually set the parameters in the wifi!!!
    Any other suggestions?
    Richard

I have a HB-1000S and have just tried this which works fine.

1. Disable DHCP on router.
    2. On HB-1000S select Connect Automatically.
    3. When prompted select Connect Manual and enter parameters.
    4. Place HB-1000S in standby and wait 10 mins.
    5. Reactivate DHCP on router.
    6. Repower-up HB-1000S.

I don't know if the 10 minutes wait is necessary but I do know that the unit takes about 5 minutes to go into full standby. I presume that without a disk attached it needs to write setup and other parameters to non volatile memory (a slow process).

| Sat 4 Oct 2014 5:23:11 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

richtoy

And is your HB-1000S connecting using wifi? Mine is and when I turn off DHCP, ask to connect automatically, select the access point and type in the security key, the HB-1000S tries to connect but eventually times out with "Sorry something seems to be wrong..." message. At that point there is no option to enter the configuration manually like there is if you connect with an ethernet cable. Interestingly, when I again attached a laptop to again get manual prompt to put in the data the HB-1000S still has the values I put in last night but it would seem they are never used when you try to connect using wifi. Can you please explain how to get to the "Connect Manual and enter parameters" prompt when connecting to an access point?

Thanks,
    Richard

| Sat 4 Oct 2014 8:19:19 #5 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.