My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

Media Server - No MP3 playback

(6 posts)
  1. CarlWalters

CarlWalters

My 1100S can see my home media server. I use Universal Media Server running on a Ubuntu box. The Humax box seems happy to play my shared video files (.avi, .mp4) but not my shared audio files (.mp3) - I just get an unsupported file type message.

Is playback of mp3 from a media server possible?

| Sat 2 Apr 2016 14:28:35 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

damski

mp3s unplayable on fvp 4000t also
    it is a bit of a joke as this is a clearly advertised supported file format

can you sort this out ASAP?

| Fri 29 Apr 2016 23:43:32 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

Seriously, you would be far better served (no pun intended) using something like a Chromecast or even the smart apps on your TV than the PVR apps. They are added simply as an extra inducement to buy but often end up being more trouble than they're worth.

I stream my NAS to both the above and never experience a moments trouble.

| Sat 30 Apr 2016 7:49:34 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

damski

i dont have chromecast i have a humax, which says it plays mp3s via dnla from a connected dnla device ie my pc and it doesnt. Its not unreasonable to ask the manufacturer of a product to enable it to do what it says on the tin now is it?

| Sat 30 Apr 2016 14:51:56 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Pollensa1946

special member

damski - 5 minutes ago  » ...Its not unreasonable to ask the manufacturer of a product to enable it to do what it says on the tin now is it?

Absolutely correct. However, I had endless problems trying to get the media client working and eventually gave up. AVI and other video containers never worked at all, MP3s worked but the client kept re-building the library after every MP3 played. Since I have 30k+ tracks on my NAS it's not user friendly. I documented all the problems to Humax/Freesat and they ignored the feedback. Others report success, and I believe it works OK from a USB stick, never tried it. My conclusion is the the media client is a very poor design. I bought a small media player, £70, which works perfectly with everything I throw at it. Best of luck with Humax.

| Sat 30 Apr 2016 15:06:20 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

damski - 8 hours ago  » 
    i dont have chromecast i have a humax, which says it plays mp3s via dnla from a connected dnla device ie my pc and it doesnt. Its not unreasonable to ask the manufacturer of a product to enable it to do what it says on the tin now is it?

It's sometimes easier being pragmatic rather than dogmatic. After all it's you that's losing out no one else. You may not have a Chromecast or similar I didn't imply that you had. However, there are these marvellous things called shops where you can purchase such items for quite a small outlay.

Anyhow, I don't want to waste my time if you are not prepared to look at alternatives. I'm going to go and stream some mp3 files through my Sonos sound system.

| Sat 30 Apr 2016 22:58:08 #6 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.