My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

Memory Leak?

(7 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

FuzzyDuck

Does anyone else have their box become very sluggish, with key presses taking several seconds to be actioned? It seems to me that it gets worse or a period of several weeks, which to me (as a software developer) sounds like a resource shortage such as a memory leak. Powering off and on seems to resolve the issue for a month or so.

It's been like this for several software releases, no better or worse.

| Sun 11 Jan 2015 22:43:11 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

damian

special member

Memory leak or a process just getting larger and larger over time?

who knows? At least with the older boxes, foxsat/fox-t2's it was possible to logon and check for all to see, transparent, and once openly aired either Humax would fix it or a work around would be found.

The newer boxes are locked down and Humax CS, along with their reputation, suffering as a result.

Humax are now a multinational, a bit like Tesco, and a bit like Tesco don't give a monkey's anymore as they're so big, arrogant you might say. Humax may still make the best STB's, but they're on a cusp, there's no soul there anymore and just like Tesco they will become a cropper unless they wake up.

The fiasco we've seen with Showcase amongst others could have been solved within days on an open system and no doubt Humax will point the finger at freesat/freeview for having to lock down the OS.

I know a big company that has to reboot their mickysoft email servers every night otherwise they'll fall over half way through the next day. I don't need to reboot my Humax boxes here; however until Humax fix or open up the hdr-1000/1010s boxes it's probably advisable to reboot monthly, if you're having problems, and especially a couple of days before going on holiday.

| Mon 12 Jan 2015 2:47:51 #2 |
  3. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

"Memory leak or a process just getting larger and larger over time?"

In standby the unit is fully powered down and when it comes out of standby it does a full fresh boot. Such a problem would result in the same problems in all units with the same software.

I have experienced sluggishness once - I put it down to a high priority task running, perhaps something like a hard disk check/repair?

| Mon 12 Jan 2015 10:14:02 #3 |
  4. hairbear

hairbear

I get slugishness periodically. Several seconds to respond to IR changing channel. Scrolling freezes in the TV Guide for up to 10s. Exiting TV Guide, expanding video window freezes part way for up to 10s. I've got used to it. Various software updates have improved it but not cured it. It often stops after a while but not always. If it gets too bad I reboot and this seems to clear it for a while. I think REPASSAC is close to the mark. Seems like a scheduling issue to me.

| Sat 24 Jan 2015 7:39:46 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

FuzzyDuck

Still happens to me from time to time. One thing I did notice once, was the box was tuned to BBC Three in the evening and was working fine. When I turned on the TV the next day, I had the grey pop-up message that channel was scrambled or missing. When I tried to change the channel it was clear the box was ultra slow. I'm wondering when the pop-up is displayed, something happens to cause the box to slow down. I'll try to reproduce the issue.

| Thu 23 Apr 2015 11:01:49 #5 |
  6. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

I can imagine that booting on a channel not currently broadcasting can slow things down - unable to set clock, get EPG data for the current channel, etc

| Thu 23 Apr 2015 11:45:30 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

jbsco

Surely it shouldn't be a problem with time shift channels. Default place for clock updates i.e. not the live channel.

| Thu 23 Apr 2015 14:33:07 #7 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.