My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

Missing Sound on HD Channels

(4 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Davelehuray

Hi, this is a strange one. When I switch to the HD channels on my hdr1100s I lose some of the sound. For example, I tried to watch the latest episode of the 'seven worlds, one planet' documentary series on bbc1 hd. When the program started I could see the video and I could hear the animals sounds through my speakers but there was no presenter commentary. I switched to the normal BBC channel and everything was as it should be so I switched back to the HD channel and again there was no commentary. I then switched to bbc1 HD on freeview and everything was ok?
    I have also had the same thing happen on other HD channels when watching films, the film was showing, I could hear the background music but i couldn't hear any actor speech.
    Again, this only happens on the HD channels and only on freesat not freeview.
    This also happens if I record on HD as well.
    Has anyone else experienced this please?

| Sun 3 Nov 2019 22:40:54 #1 |
  2. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

It is because of your sound settings on the HDR-1xxxS.
    Sound compression is usually different on SD and HD channels.
    When sound output is set to Multi-Channel then AAC 5.1 sound is passed encoded along with the picture and the responsibility for processing it is passed to the TV (or Amp).

Your TV possibly can do this with the correct settings and sound level.

Changing the sound output to Stereo will cause the HDR-1xxxS to decode all sound.

| Mon 4 Nov 2019 8:02:52 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Davelehuray

Hi Repassac,

thnks for getting back to me so quickly. I have found the setting you refer to but will wait until I come across the problem again before changing it.

I'll update this post once I have an answer.

Regards

David Le Huray

| Tue 5 Nov 2019 20:16:44 #3 |
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

REPASSAC - 1 day ago  » 
    It is because of your sound settings on the HDR-1xxxS.
    Sound compression is usually different on SD and HD channels.
    When sound output is set to Multi-Channel then AAC 5.1 sound is passed encoded along with the picture and the responsibility for processing it is passed to the TV (or Amp).
    Your TV possibly can do this with the correct settings and sound level.
    Changing the sound output to Stereo will cause the HDR-1xxxS to decode all sound.

Not quite true. HD channels Freeview channels use AAC audio. HD Recordings and HD live transmissions are recoded by the box on output to HDMI to Dolby Digital (aka ac3). SD Channels use mpeg1 layer 2 - MP2 ( ie PCM encoded audio). Changing the setting to stereo causes HD recordings and live transmission to be transcoded to MP2 when output to HDMI. The destination device still has to decode MP2 digital audio, but all TV's have this capability. If they did not you wouldn't get any sound when viewing a Freeview-SD channel using it's DVB-T Freeview tuner. MP2 is still digital. The only way to remove the destination device from de-coding the audio is to use the analogue audio outputs.

HDMI cabling has no way to carry analogue audio.

You can only see the AAC audio if you export the original recording file to a PC as you can using a custom firmware equipped HDR-FOX-T2.

| Tue 5 Nov 2019 22:25:17 #4 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.