My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » HDR 1800T, 2000T

More inconsistent faults

(35 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

hubb

special member

Well I have had the machine almost a month now and twice I have clicked on the video section and it fails to bring up anything that is on my drive. i have to power down the machine again for it to respond. Then later on i lose all my pictures for channels. I can hear sound but no images. I click on menu and select any channel only for it to bring up a blank, black screen. i cannot power off because a film is recording though I doubt it will because of these errors. It will probably record 3 hours of black screen.

| Sun 7 Dec 2014 1:20:50 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

hubb

special member

Anyone please ?

| Mon 8 Dec 2014 9:35:04 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

Are you looking for suggestions about the two specific problems mentioned in your post, or are you trying to decide whether the box is faulty and should be returned?

For me, when I bought the HDR2000T some time ago, I found that various problems and infelicities, outweighed the good points, so I returned it and haven't felt tempted to give it another try.

However, I haven't found what I would consider a really satisfactory alternative - that is, a solidly reliable Freeview HD recorder with a good UI and good user control over recording, editing, display, etc. Settled for a Panasonic which ticks most of the boxes but has a gruesomely clunky UI.

| Mon 8 Dec 2014 10:49:11 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

hubb

special member

The trouble is now I have just past my 21 days money back guarantee from the store I purchased it. Now I only have the right to a repair

When you say "editing" - are you referring to editing the recorded programs ? If so, how can you do that as I haven't found any way of snipping out the adverts.

Back on topic - Yes, I don't want to jump out of the fat and into the fire but on the whole I am happy with the machine as it records to an excellent quality when working. I do however find the remote buttons very clunky.

| Mon 8 Dec 2014 11:18:02 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

When you say "editing" - are you referring to editing the recorded programs ?

Yes.

If so, how can you do that as I haven't found any way of snipping out the adverts.

You can't, as far as I know, with the HDR2000T. I mentioned it as one of the desirable features my ideal Freeview recorder would offer. The Panasonic has it, but the UI makes using it quite tedious. My old Sony was a dream in that respect.

| Mon 8 Dec 2014 11:36:33 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

hubb

special member

Again, i couldn't access my videos unless I turned the machine off and on again.

| Mon 8 Dec 2014 14:16:28 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

damian

special member

Again you're not very forthcoming with relevant information.

I'd be surprised if you couldn't get a refund after 21 days; however you can get a repair and reserve your rights to a refund if the repair isn't satisfactory under the sale of goods act. Personally I'm 50/50 as to whether anything faulty could be found with it, so it may make more sense to get a refund.

From previous posts... can you confirm that you're not tuned into multiple transmitters and have completed a sucessful manual tune?
    Does the Humax have the latest software?
    Is it connected via scart or hdmi, if via scart did you factory reset and choose 720p only and nothing else as a resolution on hdmi on initial setup?
    When you get a blank screen have you tried toggling the AV inputs on the TV? and/or switching the TV on/off
    Is power saving on or off for both TV and Humax
    The two times that you've unsuccessfully accessed video were you previously accessing portal? I believe the first time you had an ending portal frozen screen displayed.
    It's not clear how the Humax is being powered off, is it via the remote of panel or are you physically disconnecting it from the mains? I'm assuming it recorded properly over the weekend and didn't record 3 hours of black screen. Is there anything you've noticed that may be relevant?

Lots of questions as usual, the main points are checking for multiple transmitters and latest software. Update software first.

A customer should be able to buy a product without having to jump through hoops to get it to work. Most modern electronic goods i.e pc's, laptops, tablets, phones and of course PVR's all need some sort of intervention to get them to work properly, technology and expectations are simply moving too fast.

It's a personal choice whether to reject the goods or persevere with them.

I've played with loads of PVR's and the only one that has worked exactly as it was designed to was a Panasonic; however it was limited as to what it could do and what I expected of it and was soon outdated.

| Mon 8 Dec 2014 15:51:06 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

damian - 1 hour ago  » 
    A customer should be able to buy a product without having to jump through hoops to get it to work. Most modern electronic goods i.e pc's, laptops, tablets, phones and of course PVR's all need some sort of intervention to get them to work properly, technology and expectations are simply moving too fast.
    It's a personal choice whether to reject the goods or persevere with them.

Well summed up.

| Mon 8 Dec 2014 17:11:16 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

However, I haven't found what I would consider a really satisfactory alternative - that is, a solidly reliable Freeview HD recorder with a good UI and good user control over recording, editing, display, etc. Settled for a Panasonic which ticks most of the boxes but has a gruesomely clunky UI.

We own a Panasonic HW120 as well as the 1000s and while I would agree about the less then elegant UI it does do what it says on the tin and does so reliably. If they just addressed a couple of minor issues it would be a good all rounder.

| Mon 8 Dec 2014 23:58:58 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

Very reliable, I agree.

| Tue 9 Dec 2014 0:16:07 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.