My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » HDR 1800T, 2000T

More inconsistent faults

(35 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

hubb

special member

Why oh why is this machine so unreliable ? Again, i was in youtube and came out of the portal and it froze. Couldn't get the machine to respond to any buttons resulting in me having to power off and on in the middle of recording a film. So annoying as my internet connection was working as normal with no powering off or break in the connection. Pleae don't ask me a long string of questions have I done this and that, tuned manually etc because it is nothing to do with it. This seems to be a faulty machine and now I can't take it back because it's over the 21 days of refund. Becuse the problems related to it happen intermittently it is hard to prove. Surfice to say I am lumbered with a faulty machine.

| Mon 15 Dec 2014 0:54:36 #11 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Luke

special member

hubb - 21 minutes ago  » This seems to be a faulty machine and now I can't take it back because it's over the 21 days of refund.

In the UK the usual extra 21 days refund conditions over the other guarantees only apply if you have not opened the packaging.

| Mon 15 Dec 2014 1:26:03 #12 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

If it's faulty, you do have the right to go back to your retailer and request a refund or repair or replacement (retailer's choice), under the Sale of Goods Act, and in the first six months the onus is on the retailer to show that the fault was not present when the item was purchased. However, you would indeed no doubt be questioned as to how the fault manifested itself and what remedial action, if any, had been taken. Reasonable questions, after all.

I suggest you keep a log of the times when the box doesn't function correctly, with a full description of each event. When you've accumulated a few incidents, you can send a copy to the retailer when you lodge your complaint.

The Citizens Advice Bureau gives advice on statutory consumer rights.

| Mon 15 Dec 2014 9:30:32 #13 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

hubb

special member

It also often fails to open the video section. Again, resulting in me having to power off the machine and on again to see it.

| Mon 15 Dec 2014 10:10:17 #14 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

Who did you buy it from?

| Mon 15 Dec 2014 10:11:45 #15 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

hubb

special member

I bought it from Currys. The sad thing is I really love the machine when working fine.

| Mon 15 Dec 2014 10:12:22 #16 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

If you want to swap it for a different box (especially one that's higher-priced), and if you can rebox the Humax nicely, and if you can single out a single fault, such as "intermittent freezing", you might be able to swap it, given that this is a busy period and it may seem to the salesperson easier to say yes than no.

But be warned - no box is perfect. You might find the new box also doesn't suit.

| Mon 15 Dec 2014 10:21:04 #17 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

hubb

special member

This is the thing James, I don't want to go into something worse. I just had no idea that in general they are far from perfect. Again, I think it's a wonderful thing and has changed our lives, opening up all kinds of viewing options. I just get frustrated when things go wrong ie when in the middle of recording. Perhaps software updates in the future may address these issues ?

| Mon 15 Dec 2014 10:28:48 #18 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

Some boxes are very reliable and steady. These tend to be the previous generation of boxes, which just concentrated on PVR functions - recording, trick play, etc. The new boxes have a whole new layer of complexity (the internet functions) and it's these new functions that bring the intermittent misbehaviours. No doubt it will improve in the future.

| Mon 15 Dec 2014 10:37:37 #19 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

hubb - 2 hours ago  » 
    This is the thing James, I don't want to go into something worse.

Some of the faults you are reporting do not sound typical so you may well have a faulty box. Ring up Humax technical support and discuss the problems with them.

| Mon 15 Dec 2014 12:45:25 #20 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.