My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » Aura UHD

Moved house - TV can see channels, Aura struggles

(7 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Misterhumax

I've just moved into a new house in the same region (NE). Plugged the Humax in, no TV. Re-scanned channels and it has only found 15 (ITV, 4, 5 and variants, SD only).
    However when I put the TV cable into the TV and rescan, it has found pretty much everything including HD. I even use the passthrough cable via Humax into the TV - TV works fine, Humax can't see the same channels.

Does Humax require a stronger signal to work for some reason? I don't have easy access to the aerial (rental) so are there any settings to play with or could a plug-in booster help? Is finding out the channels (not sure how) I should see and manually putting them in likely to help?

I'm a techy guy but don't know much about how TV channels work.

| Mon 15 Apr 2024 17:43:01 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

Misterhumax - 39 mins ago  » 

First thing to tell us is the signal strength and quality as reported by the Aura on one of the channels it can find.

| Mon 15 Apr 2024 18:24:13 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Misterhumax

Martin Liddle - 2 hours ago  » 

First thing to tell us is the signal strength and quality as reported by the Aura on one of the channels it can find.

I can find the menu dedicated to signal strength, is it that or can I somehow see information while watching?
    But the signal IS weak I can see that from its own tuner display

| Mon 15 Apr 2024 20:41:05 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

Misterhumax - 1 hour ago  » 

Martin Liddle - 2 hours ago  » 

I can find the menu dedicated to signal strength, is it that or can I somehow see information while watching?

Sorry I am struggling to understand what you are saying; do you mean you can't find the menu, if so go into settings, first item is Channel & Broadcast and in that section Signal Test will give you the information I asked for. Note that as you can only tune one multiplex only readings for one tuner will be shown.

But the signal IS weak I can see that from its own tuner display

Again I struggle to understand; what "own tuner display" are you talking about please?

| Mon 15 Apr 2024 22:00:03 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Misterhumax

A) thanks.. I wasn’t sure if it was via settings or you could see it at the bottom of the screen while watching TV somehow

B) I mean that plugging the cable directly into the TV, it has its own built in tuner. This receives all expected channels but shows a signal strength bar briefly every time you change channel and the strength is indicated as weak. So I know signal strength is not great, but oddly the TVs built in tuner is doing a better job than the Aura

| Mon 15 Apr 2024 23:09:50 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

Misterhumax - 50 mins ago  » 
    A) thanks.. I wasn’t sure if it was via settings or you could see it at the bottom of the screen while watching TV somehow

So what are the readings of signal strength and Quality from the Aura?

B) I mean that plugging the cable directly into the TV, it has its own built in tuner. This receives all expected channels but shows a signal strength bar briefly every time you change channel and the strength is indicated as weak. So I know signal strength is not great, but oddly the TVs built in tuner is doing a better job than the Aura

Not necessarily odd, the Aura was designed post DSO when the power of transmitters was increased and so has weaker tuners than previous Humax recorders.

Try going to https://www.freeview.co.uk/freeview-channel-checker and see how many channels it predicts for your location.

| Tue 16 Apr 2024 0:07:59 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Misterhumax

Bit of a result here. THe channel strength was showing as about 10% before. I found a dodgy coax connection (duct tape¬) in a hidden corner upstairs and replaced with new connectors.

Other issues aside the channels all rescalled and when I checked BBC2HD it showed strength 46%, quality maxed out. So that was nice - just figured it's handy to report back on solved issues.

| Wed 24 Apr 2024 15:06:44 #7 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.