My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

Moving ‘up’ to HDR1100 - accessing ‘old’ ext HDD

(3 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

P-Squared

Hi, folks,

Brand new to this forum and, though I’m no technophobe, I’m not a technician either, so please be gentle (and spell things out)!

I have had a HB1000 for some years, but I’m about to replace it with an HDR1100 (1TB). What has struck me is that I’ve got a load of recordings (I reckon it’s about eighty hours’ worth) on an external HDD which was connected by USB to the HB1000. I don’t want to lose the recordings, if I can avoid it, so I’m wondering what my options will be when I receive the HDR1100.

Will I be able to simply disconnect the external HDD from the ‘old’ HB1000 and then connect it to the new HDR1100 and watch the external HDD content?

Is there anyway of transferring the contents of the external HDD to the new HDR1100 internal memory?

If neither of the above will work, has anyone got any bright ideas?! (If this has already been covered, sorry - I did try and search for an item close to this, but did not find anything.)

Thanks, in anticipation.

| Thu 5 Dec 2019 22:44:27 #1 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

P-Squared - 1 hour ago  » 
    Hi, folks,
    Brand new to this forum and, though I’m no technophobe, I’m not a technician either, so please be gentle (and spell things out)!
    I have had a HB1000 for some years, but I’m about to replace it with an HDR1100 (1TB). What has struck me is that I’ve got a load of recordings (I reckon it’s about eighty hours’ worth) on an external HDD which was connected by USB to the HB1000. I don’t want to lose the recordings, if I can avoid it, so I’m wondering what my options will be when I receive the HDR1100.
    Will I be able to simply disconnect the external HDD from the ‘old’ HB1000 and then connect it to the new HDR1100 and watch the external HDD content?
    Is there anyway of transferring the contents of the external HDD to the new HDR1100 internal memory?
    If neither of the above will work, has anyone got any bright ideas?! (If this has already been covered, sorry - I did try and search for an item close to this, but did not find anything.)
    Thanks, in anticipation.

Sorry to rain on your parade. The file system used on the HB boxes is not known. Its not a drive that currently can be read on anything else other than the box that recorded it. In addition HD recordings are likely to be recorded with a unique encryption key so that nothing else can play them back. If you connect it to a 1100-S or any other device.

Of the recent boxes only the HDR-FOX-T2 can transfer all recordings to something else.

A 2nd generation box is reported to be able to transfer recordings to a box with a replacement hard drive.

A 1100-S has the ability to copy SD recordings to a Windows 10 PC.

If you want to re-use the old drive you will need to connect it to a PC and use drive management to delete the partition and re-format it in a known OS format like FAT or NTFS,

| Thu 5 Dec 2019 23:59:09 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

P-Squared

OK, and thank you for the reply. I had a feeling that this might be the case (from the bits n pieces I have picked up this evening). Bit of a bugger, but it seems it’s fairly straightforward, at least! I will have an option to keep the old box connected to the TV (without a sat feed), so I can use it as a (rather complicated) external HDD to watch the programmes on the TV. I’d just hoped there was a more elegant solution. I need to get cracking watching some old recordings!

Thanks again.

| Fri 6 Dec 2019 0:13:46 #3 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.