My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HB 1000S, 1100S

Multiiple Hard Disks >

(8 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

idris_dragon

I have the Humax Freesat + box. with external Hard Disk.

This is now getting full. Is it possible to somehow use multiple hard disks? If copying to a new HD is there anything to consider to ensure that the unit recognises old recordings ?

What are the best HDD's to use for the PVR?

thanks in advance

| Wed 7 Oct 2015 9:39:31 #1 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Hi and welcome to our forum. I take it you have a HB1000S so this is a pure guess based on previous Humax boxes recording to usb hard drives.

If you attach a powered USB Hub you may be able to select a second drive as the recording drive, this will disable recording to the original drive so to watch recordings on this you will have to switch back. You may be able to copy all the files on the original disk to a larger one. Hopefully someone with a HB1000S will post. Barry has tested various drives with the HB1000S - See FAQ's

| Wed 7 Oct 2015 11:54:22 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

idris_dragon

thanks for your reply Graham, much appreciated. Good to know there is a simple solution!

| Wed 7 Oct 2015 13:25:33 #3 |
  4. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

My HB-1000S is not easy to get at or I would experiment.

I recall that the disk is marked reserved for use by the HDR-1000S. I assumed this to indicate it that it could not be used elsewhere.

If you got a nice docking station such as https://blusas.co.uk/mho.php?loc=http://www.amazon.co.uk/Inateck-Docking-Station-Including-External/dp/B00PIFS37Y/ref=sr_1_16?ie=UTF8&tag=blusas008-21&qid=1444228690&sr=8-16&keywords=inateck
    I imagine you could use multiple disks.
    I went for the USB3 version of the docking station.

Looking at Graham's comments above - not sure if it will disable the previous disk or not - my guess would be not.
    Test and see and then post results.

| Wed 7 Oct 2015 15:44:10 #4 |
  5. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

REPASSAC - 4 minutes ago  » 
    My HB-1000S is not easy to get at or I would experiment.
    I recall that the disk is marked reserved for use by the HDR-1000S. I assumed this to indicate it that it could not be used elsewhere.
    If you got a nice docking station such as https://blusas.co.uk/mho.php?loc=http://www.amazon.co.uk/Inateck-Docking-Station-Including-External/dp/B00PIFS37Y/ref=sr_1_16?ie=UTF8&tag=blusas008-21&qid=1444228690&sr=8-16&keywords=inateck
    I imagine you could use multiple disks.
    I went for the USB3 version of the docking station.
    Looking at Graham's comments above - not sure if it will disable the previous disk or not - my guess would be not.
    Test and see and then post results.

The comment was based on the HD-FOX T2, which did allow you to use a USB Hub to connect a data drive and a drive reserved for recording. You can only have one drive elected as the recording drive. I never tried a second recording drive on the same hub so not aware if you could simply replay existing recordings from what has then become a data drive.

Perhaps Barry may have some knowledge.

| Wed 7 Oct 2015 15:53:12 #5 |
  6. Barry

Barry

senior admin

Have moved thread to HB area.

It is not straight forward to use 2 x HDD. I've connected 2 x portable HDD to the 2 x USB ports on rear of unit.....

1. You cannot record to one and watch from other at the same time, and to be honest switching between the two is a right pain.

Whilst you can 'Remove USB device safely' and 'select hard drive for recordings' via settings/recordings menu, you'll have to keep your wits about you as to which is in use at any given time.

| Wed 7 Oct 2015 16:19:54 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

titan

HB-1000S
    Is it possible to unplug a full HDD and connect another HDD, record programs to that, then if required switch back to the original HDD. .i.e. Have two Drives but only one connected at any time.
    I assume that there must be an association with the HB-1000S and HDD.. Also the library must be generated somehow??

| Wed 7 Oct 2015 20:13:15 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

BargeLife

which is the best external / usb Hard drive to use with an older HB1000s unit?

| Fri 18 Oct 2019 11:17:44 #8 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.