My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

Multiple recordings stopped at same time

(8 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

iron

I have an FVP 5000T running 1.03.51 firmware and receive transmissions from Tunbridge Wells Castle Hill.

This afternoon I had scheduled recordings of 27 Dresses (Channel 4 HD 1450-1700) and Octopussy (ITV HD 1455-1730). At about 1700 I noticed that the PVR was in standby. After turning it back on I was able to find out from an FTP directory listing that both recordings had stopped at exactly the same time (16:27:07).

Does anyone know what could be the cause or had a similar thing happen? Occasionally I've had single recordings stop a minute after starting which I assume is caused by the broadcaster mucking up the accurate recording signals, but this seems different.

The ideas that came into my head were
    1) A power cut - discounted as I had been using my computer all afternoon and would have noticed the desk lamp go off.
    2) Could a temporary loss of signal stop a recording? - To test this idea I started a manual recording and then unplugged the aerial for 30 seconds but found that the recording kept going.

So I'm stumped. Any ideas?

| Sun 16 Aug 2020 18:43:12 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

EEPhil

special member

Did you get any error messages when you first tried to play either programme (assuming you did try to play them)? If so, what did it say.
    My guess is that the Humax probably crashed for some unknown reason. Not sure what error message this might generate - possibly lack of power, making it difficult to work out whether it was a crash or power cut. But as you've ruled out a power cut I'd say it crashed. Why? Who knows?

| Mon 17 Aug 2020 10:27:08 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

iron

Thankyou for the response EEPhil. I did play both recordings, or at least the final 2 minutes of each just to check if there had been anything up with the signal but both seemed perfect. I don't recall if there was any error message but to be honest the broken cassette failed recording icon appears next to so many good recordings that I have learnt to ignore it anyway.

I had not considered the crash option and your parting words "Why? who knows?" may be all that can be said.

Thanks again.

| Mon 17 Aug 2020 11:55:02 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

A1944

special member

Though you had the light on, maybe it was a very brief power cut just as you were away from the light.

We had one today which can only have been under a second and, while it didn’t affect our 5000T, it was enough to reset a couple of clocks and trigger an automatic call from the power company (we are on an alert system for vulnerable customers) but we never noticed it because it was so brief.

| Mon 17 Aug 2020 22:45:50 #4 |
  5. Trev

Trev

special member

I'm with EEPhil. Random crash. They happen. (randomly :lol:)

| Tue 18 Aug 2020 9:20:14 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

EEPhil

special member

Trev - 1 day ago  » 
    I'm with EEPhil. Random crash. They happen. (randomly :lol:)

Just from my observation, and with no facts to back it up, I'd say the newer the Humax model the more likely it is to crash - randomly, of course.

| Wed 19 Aug 2020 10:49:33 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

iron

Thankyou everyone for your replies. My document of "Weird Humax Happenings" and things you shouldn't do (with the PVR I mean) is getting longer by the week.

Cheers.

| Thu 20 Aug 2020 12:33:35 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Christina2018

special member

Sounds like the box might have rebooted itself to me. It's happened to me and when it does it stops any recording. When you start to play the recording it'll say something along the lines of 'failed due to power loss' at the top of the screen for a few seconds. Sadly it just seems to be something the box does from time to time, we've had threads on here about it so you certainly aren't alone.

| Sun 23 Aug 2020 9:47:57 #8 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.