My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

My Humax HDR1000 not re-tuning

(9 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

wilsonlaidlaw

My HDR-1000 does not want to retune. I have updated the software to 3.00.96 (one generation more via the Internet, than Humax were offering on their site, which was only 3.00.94, which I did first). When I try to retune, my box just sits saying "looking for satellite signal". My signal strength and quality on both cables are pretty good at around 90% from my 150cm dish and Fracarro LNB via twin 11mm armoured cables to the house (south east France). Someone else told me that the tuning information now comes from a different group of satellites at 28.5º E not the 28.2º my dish is aimed at and if you had a large accurate dish, that you would not receive the tuning information from 28..5º. This seems very odd to me - any truth in it? If it is true, do I need a second offset LNB for these satellites or one of the dual head LNB's?

| Wed 19 Jun 2019 11:11:01 #1 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

The essential Freesat home transponder was moved from a Pan Europe beam transponder obtainable across most of Europe to a tight focus UK spot beam some time ago.

The 28.5 Eutelsat satellite was retired a while ago and all services now come from SES Astra satellites nominally at 28.2E.

Guessing that your problem is simply down to tight UK spot beam now being used.

See the inner yellow reception here

https://satfi.co.uk/coverage/

This is the trasponder you need to be able to receive. Without it you can't get past the postcode check.

https://en.kingofsat.net/find.php?question=freesat

It's possible to use non freesat mode on a HDR-1000S to check reception from this transponder. However it's much easier to use a generic FTA box or even a old Sky-HD box.

As you can't set up your box I imagine you cant even get into non-freesat mode,

If you can tray a different receiver simply add the linked transponder and ckeck signal strength and quality. Someone with local knowledge might advise as to dish size required for your location.

Repassac lives in a more Southerly French location so may be able to advise further.

Owners of a G1 box like the Foxsat-HDR or Foxsat-HD have a much simpler test. If the epg has a viewable entry at 998 Freesat-info they have the required channel

Note the single channel shown on this transponder. Sadly this channel is not on the G2 epg presumably as this info is now IP delivered.

| Wed 19 Jun 2019 12:04:12 #2 |
  3. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

It was several years ago that anything came from 28.5E.
    Everything is at or near 28.2E (some drift will happen).

With a return (or reset, don't do reset as you will lose everything) only one frequency is scanned for:
    11428 H 27500 2/3
    You can try this by scanning this transponder in non-freesat mode - use the transponder list and frequency may be slightly different in the list.
    If you can't get this try other Horizontally polarised frequencies.

Possibly a defective LNB.

Edit: Graham types faster I am at 32460 with a 1m dish (aligned with semi-pro meter) and don't have any problem with UK beam excepting the BBC HD channels in storms.

Channel changes all automatic here.
    What prompted you to do a channel scan?

| Wed 19 Jun 2019 12:17:45 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

wilsonlaidlaw

My Humax HDR 1000 is working OK at present and it was just to see if other channels had been added I was doing a re-tune. I think I might leave well alone on the basis: "if it ain't broke; don't fix it. Thanks for the advice folks. I am sure I did a re-tune and was able to enter my UK postcode but it might have been up to 2 years ago and before the home transponder moved to the UK beam. BBC.4 HD and ITV HD, the usual suspects are too weak to receive otherwise most channels I actually want to watch are OK.

I can always switch to Sky Go via internet to get most channels (including the Sky Sports and Cinema) via my UK Sky subscription. The only pain on this is that I have to get my daughter to access my Sky Go account from a UK address once a month to keep Sky Go Europe active (no VPN needed). I use to be able to spoof a UK IP address via my Nord VPN but Sky have gotten wise to this and are blocking it.

Wilson

| Wed 19 Jun 2019 12:59:51 #4 |
  5. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

wilsonlaidlaw - 18 mins ago  » 
    My Humax HDR 1000 is working OK at present and it was just to see if other channels had been added I was doing a re-tune. I think I might leave well alone on the basis: "if it ain't broke; don't fix it. Thanks for the advice folks. I am sure I did a re-tune and was able to enter my UK postcode but it might have been up to 2 years ago and before the home transponder moved to the UK beam. BBC.4 HD and ITV HD, the usual suspects are too weak to receive otherwise most channels I actually want to watch are OK.
    I can always switch to Sky Go via internet to get most channels (including the Sky Sports and Cinema) via my UK Sky subscription. The only pain on this is that I have to get my daughter to access my Sky Go account from a UK address once a month to keep Sky Go Europe active (no VPN needed). I use to be able to spoof a UK IP address via my Nord VPN but Sky have gotten wise to this and are blocking it.
    Wilson

As your box is working when my box finishes recording I will post how to use non-freesat to check this transponder. This won't affect Freesat mode operation in anyway. You are lucky the Freesat epg is also carried on all transponders so the channels you can receive will at least maintain the epg.

Chances are the channels you can still watch are on Pan Europe transponders. If you post a list simple to check and check as Repassac says it might be a lnb issue. If they are all Europe beam and a mixture of vertical and horizontal that would rule out the lnb.

| Wed 19 Jun 2019 13:21:00 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

wilsonlaidlaw

Graham, I was wondering if I should change my LNB as it is 6 to 8 years old now and given the high temperatures and strong sunlight in the south east of France, I am assuming some of the components, capacitors etc, might well have deteriorated. This is a job I have done recently on my UK set up so not a job that holds any fears for me. I have a satellite strength meter for fine tuning and whereas nothing like as good as the big box that the installers use, is good enough for pointing the dish. As my dish is massively mounted, I don't expect it has moved at all anyway.

Do you have any advice on what the current best LNB might be for Freesat with a 30M cable run from the dish to the box (11mm low loss armoured cable). The folks who installed it originally recommended a Fracarro High Gain LNB but I have seen recent similar installations in the area using a Twin output Schwaiger SPS6814H, which supposedly has high sun resistance. See spec sheet attached.

Attachments

1. Schwaiger_LNB.jpg (145.7 KB, 2 downloads) 4 years old
    | Wed 19 Jun 2019 14:07:45 #6 |
  7. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

wilsonlaidlaw - 14 mins ago  » 
    Graham, I was wondering if I should change my LNB as it is 6 to 8 years old now and given the high temperatures and strong sunlight in the south east of France, I am assuming some of the components, capacitors etc, might well have deteriorated. This is a job I have done recently on my UK set up so not a job that holds any fears for me. I have a satellite strength meter for fine tuning and whereas nothing like as good as the big box that the installers use, is good enough for pointing the dish. As my dish is massively mounted, I don't expect it has moved at all anyway.
    Do you have any advice on what the current best LNB might be for Freesat with a 30M cable run from the dish to the box (11mm low loss armoured cable). The folks who installed it originally recommended a Fracarro High Gain LNB but I have seen recent similar installations in the area using a Twin output Schwaiger SPS6814H, which supposedly has high sun resistance. See spec sheet attached.

Before you do that lets look at the channels you can receive and check the signal strength and quality and polarisation. Also check the indicated signal strength and quality for channels using transponders closest to the Freesat Home transponder.

Tune to each of these in turn and report signal strength and quality. (All are Horizontal and close in frequency to the home transponder,

161 Showcase, 140 BET, 132 Paramount, 139 Horror Channel and 801 QVC Beauty

| Wed 19 Jun 2019 14:31:32 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

wilsonlaidlaw

Hi Graham,

Many thanks for taking all this effort to help me. Please see below a chart of the results of the signal for the suggested channels

Channel Tuner Signal % Quality %

161 Tuner 1 90 100
    Tuner 2 85 100

140 Tuner 1 90 100
    Tuner 2 85 100

132 Tuner 1 90 100
    Tuner 2 60 70

139 Tuner 1 80 75
    Tuner 2 60 70

801 Tuner 1 90 100
    Tuner 2 80 100

Wilson

| Wed 19 Jun 2019 15:28:22 #8 |
  9. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

wilsonlaidlaw - 1 min ago  » 
    Hi Graham,
    Many thanks for taking all this effort to help me. Please see below a chart of the results of the signal for the suggested channels
    Channel Tuner Signal % Quality %
    161 Tuner 1 90 100
    Tuner 2 85 100
    140 Tuner 1 90 100
    Tuner 2 85 100
    132 Tuner 1 90 100
    Tuner 2 60 70
    139 Tuner 1 80 75
    Tuner 2 60 70
    801 Tuner 1 90 100
    Tuner 2 80 100
    Wilson

Doesn't seem to be much wrong with those suggesting it really is just an issue with UK spots.

My box is pretty tied up at the moment so can't post how to use non freesat unless I can find a previous post with the same info.

I will have search

Follow this but add the home transponder rather than Channel-4-HD details as posted above.

It should give you signal strength and quality.

https://www.satandpcguy.com/2018/02/20/how-to-add-c4hd-to-your-humax-freesat-box/

| Wed 19 Jun 2019 15:32:45 #9 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.