My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

NAS connection questions

(13 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

pgh1949

I have been trying to make my FVP4000T work with my NAS (QNAP TS-251+) and have a few questions which I haven't been able to answer by searching this forum or checking the manual. Here goes:

1) File Transfer
    Is it possible, and if so how, to copy files FROM the FVP to my NAS over the network to which they are both attached? If I try and use the + key and select Copy then the FVP says no device is attached. Presumably it's expecting a USB to be plugged in. Can files be transferred over the network.

In a similar vein, how can I transfer files TO the FVP? I've tried setting up a FTP session on the NAS and although I can see Media and Recordings folders on the FVP I get an error when trying to copy anything to them.

2) Connect FVP to NAS by USB
    Rather than use the existing network connection I thought I'd try USB so I got a USB cable to connect from the FVP USB port to the NAS USB port. Unfortunately they don't seem to be able to see each other. I've checked the cable by plugging a USB memory stick onto one end and each device can see it but they can't see each other. Any ideas?

3) Invalid File Format when playing videos
    Using the Media Centre on the FVP I can access the NAS and see the video files I have stored on it. However everything I try and play produces an Invalid File Format error on the FVP. What file formats CAN it play?

4) Multiple copies of NAS displayed
    In Media Centre on the FVP, when looking for a source my NAS appears EIGHT(!) times. Why would that be?

That's probably enough for now. One final thing, I realise that whatever connection I can make I will never be able to play any HD recordings from the FVP on my NAS due to the encryption of them. It never used to be a problem with my old HDR Fox T2 with its custom firmware but that's now gone to the great electronic scrapheap in the sky sadly. Thanks.

| Sat 27 Feb 2016 10:58:49 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

I'm not going to answer all the questions point by point because quite frankly I don't know the complete answers.

I have the Synology NAS and have looked at FTP options. However, reading through the instructions and other people's experiences I came to the conclusion that FTP just wasn't worth trying.

I have the 2000T and the 1000s and whilst both can see the NAS - just one entry for on each machine, I don't bother with the Humax as my SMART TV can also see the NAS and I find that the more user friendly option. The Humax can play .mp4 video files as well as .TS files, jpegs display without issue - I haven't really tried it with any others. As for copying from the Humax I just pop in a USB thumb drive (SD only) then put that into my computer and offload the files straight to the NAS - simple always works best.

| Sat 27 Feb 2016 12:30:52 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

pgh1949

Thanks for your reply Faust. Yes, I've tried copying to USB then swapping that to the NAS and while it works, it seems cumbersome when the two units can be physically connected. If it can't be done then it's no great shakes but I'd like to know the limits of what's possible.

As it happens I've been bypassing the FVP by connecting the NAS to the TV with an HDMI cable which works fine for playing videos, photos and music but it would be nice to just control one bit of kit which does everything!

| Sat 27 Feb 2016 14:50:50 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

I simply have our SMART TV and the Humax boxes connected to the network via Homeplug. Whilst the TV is wireless capable and it does work reliably I have found that for streaming HD material from my NAS (this is situated in another area of our home) the Homeplug is a far superior method as it does not suffer from buffering or stutter which can occur via wireless with HD.

I did read up concerning FTP and TBH it made my head hurt so for the amount of time I may need to copy I decided to carry on using it like I do now and at the end of the day it works well.

| Sat 27 Feb 2016 15:16:48 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

RichardS-UK

special member

Just a quick reply to say that the network facility of the FVP 400T is extremely poor and very buggy and hardly worth bothering with (see many previous threads).

However, the USB port does seem to function correctly but only as a mass storage device port.

Try copying your SD recordings to a USB memory stick or playing video files (mp4, mpg etc) directly from a memory stick and it should work OK.

Richard

| Thu 10 Mar 2016 12:48:24 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Bitterman

special member

I am running Windows 7 64 bit and struggled to get anything other than Microsoft Media player to see any files. That see's them and plays them but nothing else.
    I use Firefox due to a loathing of M$ and have used FireFTP addon at work to communicate with old machines. So I added that to my home PC and within probably 2 minutes had it set and could view and move files to and from the FVP-4000
    When setting up access the only information required is the IP the FVP4000 is using, login and password can be left blank, tick the anonymous box for connection.

| Thu 10 Mar 2016 15:52:50 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

RichardS-UK

special member

Bitterman - 16 minutes ago  » 
    I am running Windows 7 64 bit and struggled to get anything other than Microsoft Media player to see any files. That see's them and plays them but nothing else.
    I use Firefox due to a loathing of M$ and have used FireFTP addon at work to communicate with old machines. So I added that to my home PC and within probably 2 minutes had it set and could view and move files to and from the FVP-4000
    When setting up access the only information required is the IP the FVP4000 is using, login and password can be left blank, tick the anonymous box for connection.

When you have moved the recorded files from the FVP-4000T to your PC using FTP can you actually play the video files on your PC?

I have never been able to play any files which have been downloaded over my network but can play them if I download them via the USB port.

Richard

| Thu 10 Mar 2016 16:12:28 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Bitterman

special member

I am pretty sure they played, but to be sure I was going to do it again.
    Well, at the time I tried the 4000 was recording and the Server would not show up on the PC, so I waited for the recording to finish. The server still did not show up, I went into the FVP and resarted the server. Now it appeared in Windows. But I could not get any recordings to show in Firefox. I started Windoze Media Player, the recordings were there and played. Back to Firefox and still empty directories.
    The Server does indeed appear flakey. I will try again ASAP and try a full power down.

| Thu 10 Mar 2016 23:31:17 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

Bitterman

special member

OK full power down sorts out the FTP, all files visible and transfer.
    Apologies I must have tried the wrong test file, the FTP programs will not play, looking on other posts and sites it appears the FTP files remain encrypted for some bizarre reason.
    Perhaps the new update to be trialled will address this and the need for constant reboots to get the server working, the server restart function obviously does not function correctly.
    Also when I thought I had stopped a recording it actually only removed the stop time and it continued until I stopped it again!

Sorry for the confusion.

| Fri 11 Mar 2016 0:06:43 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

RichardS-UK

special member

Bitterman - 8 hours ago  » 
    OK full power down sorts out the FTP, all files visible and transfer.
    Apologies I must have tried the wrong test file, the FTP programs will not play, looking on other posts and sites it appears the FTP files remain encrypted for some bizarre reason.
    Perhaps the new update to be trialled will address this and the need for constant reboots to get the server working, the server restart function obviously does not function correctly.
    Also when I thought I had stopped a recording it actually only removed the stop time and it continued until I stopped it again!
    Sorry for the confusion.

No problem .... the way the FVP-4000T works, or doesn't, would confuse Einstein!

I have discussed all these issues at length with Humax Technical Support, to be point where is became clear that I understand more about Windows network protocols than they do, which does not fill me with confidence that the new firmware will address all the issues. However I have signed up to test it so fingers crossed!

Richard

| Fri 11 Mar 2016 9:05:57 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.