My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

net usage

(4 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

tv-tony

Hello All, Right, as one or two of you have helped with my pile of 1010 machines I have decided to keep one. There was a total of 24 machines all bought as faulty, only lost two, the rest responded to reballing the processor and putting a clean drive in, (failure to boot) Having had forty years with LG and Sony gave me the advantage. My last query may sound odd but I have decided to keep one for myself. OK, they are a bit quirky but I like them. However, I don't have wired net so I bought a wifi router, my regular net box does not have a lan on it, and as you will know the 1010 is not wifi. I bought another wifi box with lan and I am currently using it on a PAYG sim. I don't watch any BBC or ITV hub programs, the only time I use the net facility on the 1010 is to view enhanced program details. Does this use a lot of internet usage? Thanks anyone.
    Tony Walker

| Mon 15 Mar 2021 11:26:31 #1 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

As it only asci data would have thought it was tiny. Basically 1 byte per character. However remember the backwards epg and updates are data. Updates are likely to be significant. I don't think you can turn off either. If you use the DLNA client that should be fine as the data transfer is internal to your lan.

If you have smart phone. Set it up as a local WiFi hotspot and check your data over a preset period. I only pay £20.00 month for unlimited downloads.

The last USB download Update .HDF for the G2 boxes back in June 2017 was 47MB.

| Mon 15 Mar 2021 12:04:07 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

tv-tony

Thanks Graham, exc plan.

| Mon 15 Mar 2021 12:12:07 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Luke

special member

tv-tony - 7 hours ago  » 
    Hello All, Right, as one or two of you have helped with my pile of 1010 machines I the only time I use the net facility on the 1010 is to view enhanced program details.

Are you referring to the pictures for each programme/series with the newer software?
    I didn't think that the the programme details were that much better. A few years ago the impression I was getting was that on average it was slightly worse.

If you are using the old style menus then the danger of having the box connected is that if you leave the internet connection on overnight the box may download the new style menus.

grahamlthompson - 7 hours ago  » 
    As it only asci data would have thought it was tiny. Basically 1 byte per character. However remember the backwards epg and updates are data. Updates are likely to be significant. I don't think you can turn off either. If you use the DLNA client that should be fine as the data transfer is internal to your lan.
    If you have smart phone. Set it up as a local WiFi hotspot and check your data over a preset period. I only pay £20.00 month for unlimited downloads.
    The last USB download Update .HDF for the G2 boxes back in June 2017 was 47MB.

Check tv-tony's other posts. This is a T1010 not a 1010S.
    With the youview 1010 software, of the past four years, it is not just text but also pictures. These aren't downloaded the once and then stored, but downloaded fresh every time the box wants to display them.
    The T1010 has no DLNA client, and the last software update was August 2020 not 2017.

| Mon 15 Mar 2021 19:45:02 #4 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.