My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

Netflix app is a little jerky

(9 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Daveyboy_6391

Hi all. I'd like to use the Netflix app on the HDR 1100s box I have. However, I've noticed that the playback on the box seems quite stuttery/jerky. Most noticeable when the camera pans you can see the video is unsmooth. The audio is unaffected though. Anyone else noticed this and is there a fix? Box is all up to date from what I can tell.

| Thu 22 Nov 2018 11:27:07 #1 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Most likely source content is 1080p24 and box is using pull down to convert to 50Hz

https://www.avforums.com/threads/frame-rate-question.2052977/

| Thu 22 Nov 2018 13:35:52 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Daveyboy_6391

Ah that could be the issue then. It's only the humax box that has the issue. Running apps on ps4 and direct from tv app doesn't have issue only the humax Netflix app. Is there any settings or anything I can do to make it judder free?

| Thu 22 Nov 2018 16:49:28 #3 |
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Daveyboy_6391 - 7 minutes ago  » 
    Ah that could be the issue then. It's only the humax box that has the issue. Running apps on ps4 and direct from tv app doesn't have issue only the humax Netflix app. Is there any settings or anything I can do to make it judder free?

Doubtfull as the box hardware is designed to with 50Hz interlaced TV from 28.2E.

I have netflix on a smart LG Bluray player I will see if that supports 24p content properly. Your TV may have an info button that says what the source video is. My Panasonic does.

| Thu 22 Nov 2018 17:01:31 #4 |
  5. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Even my blu-ray outputs 1080p50 despite it must have 1080p24 capability to play back blu-ray diskss.

This may be of interest

https://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=253984

| Thu 22 Nov 2018 17:17:28 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Daveyboy_6391

No problem at all I thought there probably wouldn't be any fix but thought I'd ask. So assume then that the tvs and ps4 etc just does a better job with the content which is why I don't notice any stuttering when using those devices?

| Fri 23 Nov 2018 1:42:58 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Bitterman

special member

My FVP4000T stutters in the Netflix app on horizontal pans. I brought it up in the Testing but it was never looked at. Some people somehow do not notice it.
    The same as you I do not get it from a Samsung TV, PS3 or PS4.

I also get annoyed at Netflix halting at the 20% level for ages. I have to leave and re-load several times for it to behave. Once the first show works all after that day will be fine. Again I never have it on any other device than the FVP4000

| Thu 20 Dec 2018 14:33:50 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

nevans

Anything that originates in a 'p' resolution will show this effect on fast pans, just as a watching a film in a cinema does. This is the effect that drama producers actually want, as they don't like the smoothness of video. Some devices will apply artificial frame interpolation, to try and re-create the 'video' look but, personally, I switch every form of motion smoothing off in every device I own.

| Thu 20 Dec 2018 17:35:51 #8 |
  9. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

nevans - 15 minutes ago  » 
    Anything that originates in a 'p' resolution will show this effect on fast pans, just as a watching a film in a cinema does. This is the effect that drama producers actually want, as they don't like the smoothness of video. Some devices will apply artificial frame interpolation, to try and re-create the 'video' look but, personally, I switch every form of motion smoothing off in every device I own.

1080p50/60 doesn't when shown on a UK TV neither does 720p50 (1280 x 720). Neither does blu-ray if the TV is 24Hz capable. If the TV is not 24Hz capable the pull down used to create 60Hz output produces the same issue.

Netflix has some test output at varying frame rates. Add Test Patterns to your netflix account.

Additionally there is no problem with 1080p25 found on some Freeview-HD content

| Thu 20 Dec 2018 17:57:05 #9 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.