My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » HDR 1800T, 2000T

New 2000T won't play HD recordings made on old box

(30 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

hubb

special member

I have just exchanged my 2000T for a new one as the old had a fault with intermittent re-booting when in tv portal. I backed up all my old recordings on a hard drive but cannot play any HD back on this new machine, only SD will play. The box is picking up freeview HD fine and even records and plays back. It just won't play any HD from the Samsung USB drive.

The error I get says "channel unavailable or signal scrambled"

Any clues please ?

| Tue 22 Mar 2016 18:24:40 #1 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

The recordings are encrypted with a key unique to the box that recorded them. Only the original box will now replace them. I take it you no longer have access to the box that recorded them in the first place ?

| Tue 22 Mar 2016 18:32:03 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

hubb

special member

grahamlthompson - 1 hour ago  » 
    The recordings are encrypted with a key unique to the box that recorded them. Only the original box will now replace them. I take it you no longer have access to the box that recorded them in the first place ?

No, it went back to Humax today. Surely this should play because the new box can play the old sd recordings fine. Why would it encrypt just the HD ?

| Tue 22 Mar 2016 19:56:13 #4 |
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

hubb - 14 minutes ago  » 

No, it went back to Humax today. Surely this should play because the new box can play the old sd recordings fine. Why would it encrypt just the HD ?

The box encrypts all recordings. The encryption was removed by the box when the SD recordings were copied to usb. There are ways of doing the same for HD we can't discuss here. Too late for your HD recordings I am afraid.

| Tue 22 Mar 2016 20:12:55 #5 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

hubb

special member

grahamlthompson - 36 minutes ago  » 

hubb - 14 minutes ago  » 

The box encrypts all recordings. The encryption was removed by the box when the SD recordings were copied to usb. There are ways of doing the same for HD we can't discuss here. Too late for your HD recordings I am afraid.

Well that seems ridiculous that I can't play my HD recordings on another box. You say there are ways around it but you also say too late - are there or not ?

| Tue 22 Mar 2016 20:51:19 #6 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

hubb - 46 minutes ago  » 

Well that seems ridiculous that I can't play my HD recordings on another box. You say there are ways around it but you also say too late - are there or not ?

If you had access to the old box and it was still capable of playing recordings then the answer would be yes; as I suspect that is not true then the answer is no.

| Tue 22 Mar 2016 21:39:20 #7 |
  7. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

hubb - 1 hour ago  » 

grahamlthompson - 36 minutes ago  » 

hubb - 14 minutes ago  » 

In order to qualify for a freeview+ certification, the box maker is obliged to allow the broadcaster to specify a limit on the number of copies that can be made (usually copy once) and also set a flag that encrypts HD content on recording to disk. All Freeview+ (HD) boxes have to comply, Humax included.

If you want to be able to record HD Freeview without it being encrypted. you would have to use kit not certified as Freeview+. (Example USB HD DVB-T2 tuner card for a PC).

Martin has answered your other question, without the original working box and it's built in unique encryption key you cannot rescue the HD recordings.

| Tue 22 Mar 2016 21:59:58 #8 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

hubb - 5 hours ago  » 
    I have just exchanged my 2000T for a new one as the old had a fault with intermittent re-booting when in tv portal. I backed up all my old recordings on a hard drive but cannot play any HD back on this new machine, only SD will play. The box is picking up freeview HD fine and even records and plays back. It just won't play any HD from the Samsung USB drive.
    The error I get says "channel unavailable or signal scrambled"
    Any clues please ?

You have returned the box for a fault that will just as likely present itself on the new one. It is a known fault with the 2000T. I was watching BBC iPlayer on my 2000T only last evening and it did exactly the same i.e. threw me out of the portal and started re-booting.

I had in fact forgot about this issue and had been using other devices to access iPlayer so was taken by surprise when it happened again. Pity you didn't post on here for advice before returning your otherwise good unit.

| Tue 22 Mar 2016 23:47:35 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

hubb

special member

I did post on here quite some time ago but of course everyone is now letting me know when the horse has bolted. Devastated that i have lost all my HD recordings. The Humax customer service person may be able to help me. It can't be a known fault and happen with this new box because everyone would be comlaining which they are not.

| Wed 23 Mar 2016 1:41:59 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

hubb - 11 hours ago  » 
    It can't be a known fault and happen with this new box because everyone would be comlaining which they are not.

What percentage of the users do you think are using iPlayer? My guess would be with smart TVs and tablets it is probably less than 30%. We do use it but not very often and I have seen a couple of reboots but not something that bothers me significantly.

| Wed 23 Mar 2016 13:09:57 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.