My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

New FVP 4000T - Signal Problem

(5 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Sparklechick

Hi everyone, I am new to the forum and I'm really hoping someone can help me as I am completely stumped!  I took delivery of a Humax FVP-4000T Nero the other day.  I read countless reviews and I know there is some negativity around the product but I decided to purchase it anyway as,if it worked, it would be perfect for my needs.  I really want to love the product but I just can't get it to work properly.  
    I have an external aerial that has a splitter which feeds to the bedroom upstairs and the lounge downstairs.  The downstairs aerial works very well in a Panasonic tv so the aerial can't be faulty.  However, I set the Nero up in the lounge and it only found about 50 channels.  Manual tuning was no better.  I thought the product may be faulty so I tried it upstairs where it promptly found 150 channels.  Tried again downstairs where I got the message the signal was too weak so no picture/channels at all.  

I spoke to a man who fixes aerials the following morning who confirmed the aerial couldn't be faulty as it was still working in the tv.  Not sure what to do, I thought I'd try a booster and it worked.  I tested all the channels, used on demand tv, made some recordings, brilliant!  The cable I had from the booster seemed a bit loose so I intended to buy a new one today.  Turned the machine on this morning and had the no signal error again and out it down to the loose cable.  Bought a new cable and plugged it in and I have the same no signal error!!!

Out of desperation, I tried upstairs again and it works perfectly.  I am pretty good with equipment, I had a Topfield PVR and am used to having to fiddle with appliances but this has got me so confused.  What on earth am I doing wrong?  Can anyone help please?

| Sat 15 Apr 2017 14:43:09 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

Sparklechick - 15 minutes ago  » 
    Out of desperation, I tried upstairs again and it works perfectly.  I am pretty good with equipment, I had a Topfield PVR and am used to having to fiddle with appliances but this has got me so confused.  What on earth am I doing wrong?  Can anyone help please?

It still sounds like an aerial cabling problem to me. Work your way through each joint in the cable making sure it is properly made and tight; also check the cable for kinks or any signs of water ingress.

| Sat 15 Apr 2017 15:02:09 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Sparklechick

Thanks for your reply Martin, I will try this.  Any ides why the aerial would be fine in the tv but not in the Humax? This is what is confusing me!

| Sat 15 Apr 2017 15:05:07 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

Sparklechick - 1 hour ago  » 
    Thanks for your reply Martin, I will try this.  Any ides why the aerial would be fine in the tv but not in the Humax? This is what is confusing me!

It has been reported lots of times but I am not clear as to the reason. If you can get the Humax to receive a signal then knowing the signal strength and quality as reported by the Humax would be interesting.

| Sat 15 Apr 2017 16:16:52 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Sparklechick

Good news! I had the courage to undo the aerial connector, had a bit of a cleanup and I now have a signal and almost all the channels working. It looks as though I will need to have a new connector fitted as the inside of the aerial is looking a little rusty but I'm over the moon that I've found the cause of the problem.

Thanks again for your help Martin, I'd convinced myself it couldn't be the aerial and you were spot on.

| Sat 15 Apr 2017 17:42:17 #5 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.