My Humax Forum » Freeview SD » PVR 9150T, 9200T, 9300T

new harddisk cannot be formatted

(17 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

Richard MQ - 2 hours ago  » 
    I think the problem I had was with one with the fairly standard Linux scheme of boot, swap, LUKS root & LUKS home.

Having used Unix/Linus for more than 20 years, I have a reasonable understanding of the partition schemes. What you haven't said is what actual problem you had? My understanding is that the Humax simply overwrites whatever is on the disk with a blank file system so I am struggling to understand why it matters what is present prior to the Humax format. Of course if there was a bad block in a region not used by the previous file system then that could explain the problem.

| Wed 15 Jun 2011 21:22:34 #11 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

wvdheiden

Hi All

Just returned home (I work in Germany) I wanted to try the partition trick.
    But unfortunately my Humax is now completely dead. I think the power board has given up. 220V is going in, but not a single volt is coming out, nowhere.
    So I have to solve that first (if possible...) I'll keep you posted. Thanks for all the responses!

Walter

| Fri 17 Jun 2011 10:54:46 #12 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Richard MQ

@Martin Liddle: I honestly cannot remember any details, only that the drive was visible but it refused to initialise it just as the OP said. I think the HD proved to be OK when tried elsewhere

@wvdheiden: take extreme care when touching the PSU module - capacitors store up to 350V dc & retain charge for a while after power off. That's enough to really hurt, maybe even kill. I speak from experience (though thankfully not recent experience).

| Fri 17 Jun 2011 16:42:47 #13 |
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

A capacitor in a power supply is very unlikely to deliver a lethal current especially as it's DC and can store limited energy. As soon as you pull current the voltage will collapse much like the thousand of volt shock you get from a static source. Potentially up to a million volts from a wimshurt machine. In any case it can certainly hurt, wise to simply discharge any capacitors. A voltmeter will do the job nicely and you can see when the energy has been discharged.

Make sure the box is unplugged though pretty sure the heatsink is live at 240V ac.

This may help

http://www.free-sat-tv.co.uk/Humax.php

| Fri 17 Jun 2011 16:58:29 #14 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

wvdheiden

Thanks for the warnings. I am experienced with (high voltage) electronics. Old CRT tubes also hurt when you touched them in the wrong place...

| Sat 18 Jun 2011 8:36:18 #15 |
  6. FenderBender

FenderBender

administrator

What some people never realised was that CRT tubes ran at something like 25kV - similar to the voltage of overhead power lines!

| Sat 18 Jun 2011 8:40:40 #16 |
  7. aldaweb

aldaweb

administrator

And they could give you a nasty burn (not to mention the jolt) if you didn't discharge them before changing a chassis. Thank goodness most video screens are now flat.

| Sun 19 Jun 2011 18:30:10 #17 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.