My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

New HDR-1000S user

(8 posts)
  1. chrisund123

chrisund123

I've decided to bin off my Sky+ HD subscription and go over to Freesat - And my HDR-1000S arrived yesterday

I found the setup very painless, quick and easy - I was up and viewing in no time. Picture quality is good, user interface is pretty intuitive. I tested out the iPlayer and again was very pleased, simple to use and the quality was spot on.

The only down side I've come across so far is with the media player function of the box. I have a Synology Diskstation DS212J NAS which I keep all my music/pictures/films on and I thought the HDR-1000S would might even replace my dedicated media, which would just about be the icing on the cake.

Anyhow, I navigated to the Media Player bit, but found no servers - I was hoping to be able to browse NFS/Samba shares, but it seems it's DLNA only. Not a problem, I enabled the DLNA server on the Diskstation and was soon browsing through my media. Then I tried to play back a few movies, but it seems the HDR can't handle DTS - what a shame! Also, the aspect ratio was out on pretty much everything - 1920*800 gets stretched instead of being shown in a letterbox.

Naturally I tried to adjust the aspect ratio in the menu, but it doesn't seem to do anything - all the options just present the same format! Luckily TV is shown in the correct aspect, but it seems that the HDR isn't going to replace my media player any time soon.

In conclusion, I'm really pleased with my HDR-1000S. I bought it to replace my Sky box, not my media player and as far as I'm concerned it's more than up to the job. It's media playing functions are totally secondary and hopefully the audio/aspect ratio issues will get ironed out in the future.

| Sat 20 Oct 2012 18:18:34 #1 |
  2. myhumax

myhumax

senior admin

The HDR-FOX T2 (Freeview+) has the same issue playing external media - never often displays the correct aspect ratio and just stretches to fit the screen.

The HDR-FOX T2 does however support surround sound (DD5.1) depending how the container format presents it to the HDR (although you might mean DTS to be something different). I would expect the 1000S to do the same.

| Sat 20 Oct 2012 18:58:35 #2 |
  3. chrisund123

chrisund123

Yeah I had a couple of movies give Dolby Digital 5.1 just fine, but Digital Theatre Sound (DTS) didn't give any audio - a shame as I don't even want the HDR to do anything with it, just send it over to my amp and let that do the work lol.

Annoying about the aspect ratio problems too, hopefully if it's a wider problem there's more chance of it getting fixed? Won't hold my breath tho. Worse is the problem of changing the aspect ratio in the settings not doing anything...

| Sat 20 Oct 2012 19:44:16 #3 |
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

chrisund123 - 13 minutes ago  » 
    Yeah I had a couple of movies give Dolby Digital 5.1 just fine, but Digital Theatre Sound (DTS) didn't give any audio - a shame as I don't even want the HDR to do anything with it, just send it over to my amp and let that do the work lol.
    Annoying about the aspect ratio problems too, hopefully if it's a wider problem there's more chance of it getting fixed? Won't hold my breath tho. Worse is the problem of changing the aspect ratio in the settings not doing anything...

Without a DTS decoder it's not going to work. It's not that difficult to replace the audio with ac3 5.1. I had to do the same with content with DTS-HD audio. Very few media players support DTS.

| Sat 20 Oct 2012 20:01:08 #4 |
  5. myhumax

myhumax

senior admin

The 3view PVR supports DTS.

I would not recommend investing in that product though

| Sat 20 Oct 2012 20:17:21 #5 |
  6. chrisund123

chrisund123

I have a dts decoder - my amp lol! Just would be nice if the Humax could pass it through raw, like my media player. But it's not really an issue, seeing as I have a media player and it pretty much works perfectly!

| Sat 20 Oct 2012 20:30:48 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Andrew C-H

I had a 3view PVR and that failed to cope with Dolby Digital 5.1 or DTS. Only too happy when the 3rd such box failed and ebuyer refunded most of my money.

My current player of choice - WDTV Live - copes with Dolby Digital 5.1 and DTS. I hope to move the WDTV Live to another room once my (soon to be purchased) HDR-1000S arrives.

| Mon 22 Oct 2012 10:14:23 #7 |
  8. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

son_t - 1 day ago  » 
    The HDR-FOX T2 (Freeview+) has the same issue playing external media - never often displays the correct aspect ratio and just stretches to fit the screen.
    The HDR-FOX T2 does however support surround sound (DD5.1) depending how the container format presents it to the HDR (although you might mean DTS to be something different). I would expect the 1000S to do the same.

Surprisingly it does aac audio as well.

| Mon 22 Oct 2012 11:14:54 #8 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.