My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

New Member trying to tie HDR1010S to LAN

(3 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Tonyg3rs

I’m new, groping my way into fully networking my HDR1010S with my Windows 7 laptop (Win Media Player 12), Sony Bravia TV & Sony Blueray player. The problem may be my superficial knowledge of Windows networking but Win Help don't.

My immediate problem is setting up the Network Device Properties for the HDR. With both Sony products, this happens automatically, so I can see manufacturer, model, MAC address, unique id & IP address. With the HDR, all I get returned is the MAC address and “Unknown device”. There doesn’t appear to be a manual method of populating the device properties, though I know that the HDR is connected to the LAN (both Ethernet and wireless work) and has its own IP address(es). Without the IP address the HDR sits in "other networks".

The HDR can see files (e.g. music play lists) on my laptop server and play them but, unlike the Sony kit, I can’t push files out to the HDR.

There are other things I’d like to explore but getting the HDR set up as a fully functioning member of my network will do for now.

Thanks in anticipation of any suggestions.

| Thu 10 Apr 2014 17:45:06 #1 |
  2. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

From your comment "The HDR can see files (e.g. music play lists) on my laptop server and play them but, unlike the Sony kit, I can’t push files out to the HDR."

The HDR clearly has acquired an IP address and is a member of your network.
    The HDR has a DLNA client which is used to play files on DLNA servers on your network (such as Windows Media Player).
    Currently (at least) the HDR is not a DLNA server and therefore does not share media with your network which is why when using Windows Explorer the HDR does not appear in the network.

It was hinted that a DNLA server would be added at some future time but this was only described as an intent and no timescale given. I still hope for one but I am uncertain if it is still intended.

Edit: The HDR does not have a hostname (as if it did, multiple devices with the same name would cause Windows problems).

| Fri 11 Apr 2014 6:29:58 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Tonyg3rs

Thanks for that, REPASSAC.
    You and I know that the HDR is on my Local Network because it has two IP addresses (Ethernet and wireless); my problem seems to be convincing Windows that it is, as the Network Device Properties function doesn't pick up the IP address.

However, if as you suggest, the Win Media Player "Play To" function will not operate with the HDR (unlike the Sony kit)then I guess the problem is irrelevant.

I was hoping that, eventually, I would be able play back HDR recordings to either of my Sony TV's, even if this meant buying a second Humax box of some description.

I guess that's just a pipedream.

Thanks again for your help.

Tony

| Fri 11 Apr 2014 14:37:50 #3 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.