My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

New on-demand player coming?

(5 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

According to a blog I've just read, there's going to be a new on-demand service soon:

...the arrival of a pay service on Freesat is expected soon. It will be an onlinbe on-demand service, I am told, not a pay TV channel. Freesat makes it clear that it will not be managing the pay relationship – that is entirely in the hands of the content partner.

http://blogs.strategyanalytics.com/DMS/post/2014/05/02/Freesat-Targets-DTT-Viewers-With-Discovery-and-Aggregation-Strategy.aspx

Anyone know if this is true, and if true, what service is coming?

| Mon 5 May 2014 10:40:07 #1 |
  2. -gonzo-

-gonzo-

special member

Netflix?

| Mon 5 May 2014 10:41:10 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

I hope.

| Mon 5 May 2014 10:42:46 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Pollensa1946

special member

Ref the article posted... I wish Freesat were as open about what they plan to do about the large number of bugs/complaints posted in various forums relating to the UI.

| Mon 5 May 2014 11:53:08 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

Maybe it depends on how different customers use it, but I don't really get much trouble with my HB-1000S. The black screen bug is the only one I encounter regularly. I'd like to see it fixed but for me it's no biggie. I quite like the UI, though it's a little too shadowy.

I thought the blog piece was very interesting. If this bit of speculation is correct:

My take is that it seems clear that, from Freesat’s perspective, there is a greater expectation from these new products to build a new DTT Freetime audience than to add new Freetime satellite customers. This clearly positions Freetime as a potential alternative to Youview, although it currently lacks the DVR capability, something which Freesat is working on with manufacturers, including enabling USB hard disk support. Since the BBC, ITV and other free-to-air players are known to be unhappy that BT and TalkTalk have dominated sales of YouView DVRs (not that they should have been surprised at this outcome), they will be encouraged to know that DTT alternatives are beginning to appear. I suspect that discussions about a Freetime DTT DVR are already well under way.

...then I will definitely be in the queue for a Humax Freetime DTT box. My YouView experience was dispiriting to say the least, so IMO a Freetime alternative would be great.

| Mon 5 May 2014 12:40:31 #5 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.