My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » Aura UHD

New owner

(10 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

fluffy54

Got the aura 1tb as a birthday gift last saturday. Set it all up, (manual tune etc) & it seemed to work perfectly. However, yesterday i manually scheduled a one hour episode of neighbours & home & away (for the mrs) & cannot find the recording so i presume it either didnt record or the file was deleted. I had a different channel on at the time so i didnt check to see if it was recording.

Last night it lost the wireless signsl so had to re enable it.

| Wed 26 May 2021 14:17:08 #1 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Welcome to our forum.

What do you mean by manually scheduled. ? Were the recordings HD or SD.

Normally you would select the programme in the epg and press OK. Follow the prompts to record just the one programme or the series.

I have a series recording of both of the above from the HD channel using the lunchtime recordings.

You can check the recording schedule and the epg for the recording flag.

Because all the main HD channels are on a single mux (PSB-3). You will make best use of the 3 tuners the box has.

If you select to display the recordings by channel it's a lot easier to find them when you have a lot.

Note the yellow key allows a specific day to be selected in the epg. This makes it easier to check a lot of series don't stop when the broadcaster changes the codes mid series.

| Wed 26 May 2021 15:13:45 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

fluffy54

Thank you for the welcome Graham and the reply. regarding the manual schedule its some thing i have done since i got my first humax in 2010.......just out of habit. i have neighbours and home and away as one continuous recording so when one finishes i just fast forward to the start of the next one. though the method you mention does seem more logical. the recordings were hd.

just checked my recordings and it has recorded fine this time......could have been user error.

thanks again, and for the reply and suggestions.

| Wed 26 May 2021 19:24:48 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

fluffy54

I scheduled neighbours & home & away from the epg as you mentioned (The 5:30pm & 6:00pm episodes) Checked the recordings list at around 7:00pm & noticed there was 4 failed recordings at the time the lunchtime episodes would have been aired.The later episodes were not recorded.

I never schedule any recordings until around 5:00pm as the tv & both my Aura & 1800T are powered off through the day.

This made me remember why i always have set up a manual recording to run for 1 hour from 5:30pm to 6:30pm.......the lunchtime episodes seems to cause both my Aura & 1800T to be confused if i schedule the episodes to record that begin at 5:30pm & 6:00pm.

| Wed 2 Jun 2021 15:03:32 #4 |
  5. Paul Bton

Paul Bton

special member

fluffy54 - 5 hours ago  » 
    I scheduled neighbours & home & away from the epg as you mentioned (The 5:30pm & 6:00pm episodes) Checked the recordings list at around 7:00pm & noticed there was 4 failed recordings at the time the lunchtime episodes would have been aired.The later episodes were not recorded.
    I never schedule any recordings until around 5:00pm as the tv & both my Aura & 1800T are powered off through the day.
    This made me remember why i always have set up a manual recording to run for 1 hour from 5:30pm to 6:30pm.......the lunchtime episodes seems to cause both my Aura & 1800T to be confused if i schedule the episodes to record that begin at 5:30pm & 6:00pm.

When you say ‘powered off’ do you mean completely shut down and turned off at the wall socket? Or just sent into standby with the remote? You do realise that scheduled recordings will wake the Humaxs up if in standby and record automatically? You have got the external aerial going into the Humaxes first then out into the TV? How are the boxes linked by aerial cable?
    If I may say so you are not really using your Humax 1800T and Aura in the best way. You are sort of using them like a 1980’s video recorder. Have another look through the manual.
    Your Humax would use a very small amount of electricity if you were worried about that. Also the Humaxes need to be configured not using power saving mode to allow the signal from your aerial through. Is the signal strength ok on the channels used? Sorry if any of this you already know.

| Wed 2 Jun 2021 20:22:46 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

fluffy54

Thank you Paul for the in-depth reply & sorry for my late response.

I do mean powered off at the main wall socket, we dont start watching tv untill around 4pm so it seems pointless having things on standby from(say) 12 midnight till 4pm. I am aware of the miniscule power draw on standby.

Regarding connectivity, i have 2 seperate aerial feeds from an amplifier in the loft......i use one for the 1800t & one for the aura. Signal strength is 90 to 100% and quality around the same.

"If I may say so you are not really using your Humax 1800T and Aura in the best way. You are sort of using them like a 1980’s video recorder. Have another look through the manual"
    Sorry, but i cannot agree with that!! I have used Humax pvr's since the 9300, 1800t, aura. In almost 12 years, any issues i have had with these i have always managed to rectify.

Thanks again.

| Mon 7 Jun 2021 13:41:02 #6 |
  7. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

I bet the aerial amplifier uses quite a bit more power than the PVR in standby.

| Mon 7 Jun 2021 15:20:28 #7 |
  8. Paul Bton

Paul Bton

special member

fluffy54 - 4 days ago  » 
    I do mean powered off at the main wall socket, we dont start watching tv untill around 4pm so it seems pointless having things on standby from(say) 12 midnight till 4pm. I am aware of the miniscule power draw on standby.
    Regarding connectivity, i have 2 seperate aerial feeds from an amplifier in the loft......i use one for the 1800t & one for the aura. Signal strength is 90 to 100% and quality around the same.
    "If I may say so you are not really using your Humax 1800T and Aura in the best way. You are sort of using them like a 1980’s video recorder. Have another look through the manual"
    Sorry, but i cannot agree with that!! I have used Humax pvr's since the 9300, 1800t, aura. In almost 12 years, any issues i have had with these i have always managed to rectify.
    Thanks again.

What I mean is it’s much easier to record your programme using the guide than manually setting a time (I didn’t realise it was still possible). Also by using the guide you record a whole series and it auto detects if the programme starts later due to sport or previous programme overrunning. How can manual recording be better than that? That is sort of the whole point of PVRs. Also if I understand correctly you are recording two programmes in one long recording. Why would you want to do that? Don’t you want to access the beginning of each episode? You also do need to leave the Humax on standby, you really do. The failed recordings were due to the Humax being switched off! Are the lunchtime episodes repeated in the evening? I think they are. Some channels like ch5 don’t broadcast the correct information about repeats. Well why don’t you series record using the guide and just delete the duplicates? Or watch the lunchtime recordings when you get in or later (if you have left it in standby) or using the guide set each episode to record ‘just this episode’ not series if you still want to make it hard for yourself. There is no earthly reason to fully switch the boxes off. They are designed to be left on standby.

| Sat 12 Jun 2021 1:09:45 #8 |
  9. Paul Bton

Paul Bton

special member

Paul Bton - 8 hours ago  » 

fluffy54 - 4 days ago  » 
    Thanks again.

What I mean is it’s much easier to record your programme using the guide than manually setting a time (I didn’t realise it was still possible). Also by using the guide you record a whole series and it auto detects if the programme starts later due to sport or previous programme overrunning. How can manual recording be better than that? That is sort of the whole point of PVRs. Also if I understand correctly you are recording two programmes in one long recording. Why would you want to do that? Don’t you want to access the beginning of each episode? You also do need to leave the Humax on standby, you really do. The failed recordings were due to the Humax being switched off! Are the lunchtime episodes repeated in the evening? I think they are. Some channels like ch5 don’t broadcast the correct information about repeats. Well why don’t you series record using the guide and just delete the duplicates? Or watch the lunchtime recordings when you get in or later (if you have left it in standby) or using the guide set each episode to record ‘just this episode’ not series if you still want to make it hard for yourself. There is no earthly reason to fully switch the boxes off. They are designed to be left on standby.

I have just checked. If you use the guide and record whole series it will just record the evening episode (provided you click on the evening episodes in the guide to start series record from), not the lunchtime ones. So that is another reason to use recording from the guide. That has to be more automated and error proof that setting a schedule manually.

| Sat 12 Jun 2021 10:09:09 #9 |
  10. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

fluffy54 - 5 days ago  » 
    Thanks again.

I hope you do not have a 4K OLED these have to have power 24/7 to allow the pixel refresh routines to run. if not ypur warranty will be invalid.

LCD TV's can safely be powered off overnight.

Even the ancient Foxsat-HDR needs to be in low power sby for the overnight housekeeping to run. If not as channels change transponders you will lose more and more channels.

Frankly you clearly claim to understand the importance of overnight auto routines and clearly you do do not.

The Aura can be set to enter full low power sby with a timer. Because it has a media server you can set it wake at a specific time. Mine wakes at 06:30 every morning. This allows viewing of recordings and live TV on my Android Tablet. Streaming BBC1-SD adds regional news.

I find the best performance on my Android tablet is using bubble upnp and VLC as the media player.

Setting 16:9 as the output gives a full screen picture on my tablet. On Sundays you need to select the BBC news channel.
    I note you do not include any of the Freesat boxes in your list nor the FVP-5000T which needs a daily early power on 15 min power on timer pair to rebuild the cached copy of the epg in NVram.

| Sat 12 Jun 2021 20:36:31 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.