My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

New software version 1.00.54

(165 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

Pollensa1946 - 8 hours ago  » 

Faust - 13 minutes ago  » 
    There are plenty posts regarding issues with Twonky on the interweb. Some companies have gone to DNLA as first choice rather than Twonky. I now rely on iTunes server.

See my post #147 above. You clearly have a problem with your NAS setup.

If I have a problem then so do plenty of other users and the NAS manufacturer, as they have now discontinued with Twonky in favour of DLNA. As a Mac owner I prefer to use iTunes in any event.

| Wed 3 Jul 2013 16:44:55 #151 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Pollensa1946

special member

Faust - 2 hours ago  » 

Pollensa1946 - 8 hours ago  » 

Faust - 13 minutes ago  » 
    There are plenty posts regarding issues with Twonky on the interweb. Some companies have gone to DNLA as first choice rather than Twonky. I now rely on iTunes server.

See my post #147 above. You clearly have a problem with your NAS setup.

If I have a problem then so do plenty of other users and the NAS manufacturer, as they have now discontinued with Twonky in favour of DLNA. As a Mac owner I prefer to use iTunes in any event.

I'm still waiting to see that you actually have something to contribute to the debate on the 1000S DLNA Client, sadly in vain.

| Wed 3 Jul 2013 19:10:59 #152 |
  3. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

................For me the client is useless in its current form.
    At this point, with the Twonky build still in progress, music files at 28,000, I went into my Panasonic Viera TV, which also has a media client. I connected to the Twonky server and the TV played everything I threw at it. Every movie, photo and MP3, including those failed by the Humax.
    If Humax are intending this client to simply play back recordings made on another Humax PVR, acting as a server, then they should state this in their spec.
    Case rests.

You do not say what sort of client your Viera TV is. Humax only claim a DLNA client which can only play a very limited subset for video formats (the server being required to translate any it cannot). Your problem with MP3's however would appear to be a problem.

Can I ask is your 10000 files in one folder and if so why?

| Wed 3 Jul 2013 19:51:01 #153 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Pollensa1946

special member

REPASSAC - 48 minutes ago  » 
    You do not say what sort of client your Viera TV is.
    ...Can I ask is your 10000 files in one folder and if so why?

Don't really know what the Viera client is. Don't care either whether a client is "DLNA Compliant", it's what it is capable of that matters. As I said, If Humax want to turn out a client that is restricted in it's capability then state that fact. Don't advertise it as a Media Client when it is patently not.
    Music tree...
    Top level folder called Audio.
    Sub folders in music genres (Classical, Pop, Jazz, Latin etc).
    In each genre sub folder there is a folder for each artist.
    In the artist folders there are folders for each CD.
    In each CD folder the actual tracks.
    So an example might be... Audio/Pop/Beatles/Abbey Road/Track1, Track2, etc.

| Wed 3 Jul 2013 20:49:07 #154 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

Pollensa1946 writes............I'm still waiting to see that you actually have something to contribute to the debate on the 1000S DLNA Client, sadly in vain.

I re-enabled Twonky on my NAS, rebuilt the media files i.e. MP4 video files, MP3 music and photos etc. Granted my music collection is only some six thousand odd files. Having said that the 1000s played everything I threw at it without complaint or a hint of freezing. Personally I am quite impressed with it's capabilities. I also copied about 20 episodes of a TV series from a USB stick to the HD and again the playback is flawless. For a PVR it certainly gets my vote.

| Thu 4 Jul 2013 22:48:06 #155 |
  6. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

Pollensa1946 - 1 day ago  » 

............ As I said, If Humax want to turn out a client that is restricted in it's capability then state that fact. Don't advertise it as a Media Client when it is patently not.

Humax describe it as a DLNA client, there is a considerable difference between that and a media player.

All my .mp3s play without issue (using WMP as the server)

| Fri 5 Jul 2013 8:49:26 #156 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Pollensa1946

special member

Faust - 11 hours ago  » For a PVR it certainly gets my vote.

In that respect (being a good PVR) it gets my vote as well. I'm glad you fixed your Twonky problem, but as I said it's clear from several sources that when the number of music files exceeds a certain number (around 10k I think) then the "DLNA Client" falls over. This is in contrast to all the other clients I have.

REPASSAC - 1 hour ago  » Humax describe it as a DLNA client, there is a considerable difference between that and a media player.

I appreciate that, but AFAIK Humax do not overtly advertise it as a "DLNA Client". On the actual screen it talks about "MEDIA" and in adverts it talks about "Sharing Media around a network".
    Most users will interpret that as a "Media Player" and in this respect it does not compete.

REPASSAC - 1 hour ago  » 
    All my .mp3s play without issue (using WMP as the server)

Unfortunately not in mine since the number of tracks exceeds the fall-over limit I am unable to play tracks from any server. Although I will keep experimenting.

| Fri 5 Jul 2013 10:17:39 #157 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Pollensa1946

special member

Some more info on the DLNA Client...
    I purchased a Media Server "TVersity Pro"...
    http://tversity.com/
    ...and installed it on my Windows PC. Unfortunately this pgm does not appear to have a NAS version. Which for me rules it out as a solution which covers all my clients, 1000S included.
    I copied the entire music catalogue from NAS to PC disk and had the server build a new database as before...
    Music tree...
    Top level folder called Audio.
    Sub folders in music genres (Classical, Pop, Jazz, Latin etc).
    In each genre sub folder there is a folder for each artist.
    In the artist folders there are folders for each CD.
    In each CD folder the actual tracks.
    So an example might be... Audio/Pop/Beatles/Abbey Road/Track1, Track2, etc.
    Went into 1000S "Media Share" and hooked up to TVersity Server on PC. Now this time the box did not crash and it actually played MP3s, but I noted the following problems...
    1) In any given folder the 1000S only lists a maximum of the first 88 albums, regardless of how many in excess of that number.
    2) Despite the TVersity server being capable of trans-coding on the fly (say FLAC to MP3) the 1000S simply ignores files that are not MP3. This appears to conflict with it's claimed "DLNA Compliance"...

REPASSAC - 1 day ago  » 
    Humax only claim a DLNA client which can only play a very limited subset for video formats (the server being required to translate any it cannot)

So overall, if you have a large music catalogue or it's not all MP3 then you have to be very selective about your setup with regard to PC vs NAS and Media Server s/w.

| Fri 5 Jul 2013 12:04:57 #158 |
  9. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

Pollensa1946 - you mention that you "purchased a Media Server "TVersity Pro"...http://tversity.com/
    ...and installed it on my Windows PC. Unfortunately this pgm does not appear to have a NAS version"

Can you not simply share the Music tree folder? You would need to assign permissions of course. Any reason you did not use the free Windows Media Player?

| Fri 5 Jul 2013 16:20:22 #159 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

Pollensa1946

special member

REPASSAC - 5 minutes ago  » 
    Can you not simply share the Music tree folder? You would need to assign permissions of course. Any reason you did not use the free Windows Media Player?

Yes, Windows XP version does not provide a media server capability.

| Fri 5 Jul 2013 16:27:10 #160 |

RSS feed for this topic

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.