My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

New software version 1.00.54

(165 posts)
  1. -gonzo-

-gonzo-

special member

How long do you think it will be before someone complains they accidently deleted a series rather than an individual episode?

| Wed 26 Jun 2013 17:55:19 #11 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Pollensa1946

special member

My wife arrived in. Explaining the new boot procedure to her and the need to select Back or Exit to get to the full screen, her only comment was... Why? Sums it up really.

| Wed 26 Jun 2013 18:44:38 #12 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

souporjuice

Loading Home at startup slows down the startup. TV displays for several long seconds before Home sluggardly grinds into view. Yes, you can press Exit. But what's the point? A feature no-one asked for.

Why didn't they spend their time sorting out the slow UI? The usability issues? The slow "scrolling" of the TV Guide (which is actually paging the results, and painting them on screen very, very slowly - so slowly you can actually see the screen paint itself).

You know what I think?

1. They chose HTML5 and only later chose the box hardware; developing this UI on a modern high-spec PC, and therefore not noticing how slow it was, until...
    2. They chose a bargain-basement CPU for the box, then when they finally ran the software on the hardware they realised just how slow it was and ran around like headless chickens trying to optimise the software. Hence the initial launch delay;
    3. Now they're not even bothering to optimise the UI further as they know they just can't - HTML rendering is CPU-intensive. If they cut costs with a slow CPU, not much you can do.
    4. UI designed by one clueless person and/or by committee - feedback from paying customers is ignored. Hence the UI won't change now, they'll just keep tacking things on.

| Wed 26 Jun 2013 18:49:22 #13 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Pollensa1946

special member

I think you are pretty much spot on souporjuice.
    When you look around at the on-demand services that are available from many types of boxes (Samsung BR players being a prime example) and the quality of GUI on the simplest of media players, then this Humax box is junk.

| Wed 26 Jun 2013 19:04:07 #14 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

souporjuice

That said, I would never go back to Sky. Rip-off. So I will be continuing to use this box cos it's the best of a bad bunch.

Fortunately there is some competition on the horizon. MS & Apple will no doubt be coming up with their own EPG soon enough. Hell, even my TV has its own twin-tuner freesat EPG, but it's awful. Whoever gets this right first will win.

Humax, Freesat, Freetime, whoever, all you need do is get the basics right: speed, simplicity, minimal clicks to do the basics. Forget everything else - I can get on demand services already on my pc, phone, tablet, TV, and various other things connected to my TV.

| Wed 26 Jun 2013 19:25:25 #15 |
  6. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Pollensa1946 - 52 minutes ago  » 
    My wife arrived in. Explaining the new boot procedure to her and the need to select Back or Exit to get to the full screen, her only comment was... Why? Sums it up really.

Why indeed

Never saw the need for now/next, booting to home just adds to the irritation factor. Why didn't Freesat poll their customers before introducing this feature that's hard to see a reason for. I reckon 99% of users will reach for the exit key first. The other 1% can simply press the home key :-).

Interesting to start a poll and see how many users will want to keep this arrangement.

Simple question. What's the chances of the channel you want to view being in the next two ?

Watching ITV-HD home displays S4/Croeso and Channel 4. Never watch either only CH4-HD

| Wed 26 Jun 2013 19:43:25 #16 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

souporjuice

Agree, polls would be good - but would they listen?

We could also start creating threads with a feature suggestion, then have people +1 if they agree, or constructive feedback if they don't.

For example:

It takes 4 clicks to bring up favourites at the moment. We would like favourites available in to view in 1 click. Perhaps the coloured buttons on the remote could be used as a shortcut? Press blue to bring up the TV Guide preloaded with favourite channels.

| Wed 26 Jun 2013 19:49:01 #17 |
  8. -gonzo-

-gonzo-

special member

My Samsung TVs Anynet+ HDMI-CEC is now recognising my 1000s.

| Wed 26 Jun 2013 20:06:18 #18 |
  9. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Try this

Showcase and catch up epg now seems to populate without a lan connection. You can't of course watch it. Looks like this data is now delivered OTA. This should mean a large reduction in Internet download usage. Testing required. Can anyone else confirm ?

| Wed 26 Jun 2013 20:48:20 #19 |
  10. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

grahamlthompson - 24 minutes ago  » 
    Try this
    Showcase and catch up epg now seems to populate without a lan connection. You can't of course watch it. Looks like this data is now delivered OTA. This should mean a large reduction in Internet download usage. Testing required. Can anyone else confirm ?

| Wed 26 Jun 2013 21:12:39 #20 |

RSS feed for this topic

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.