My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

New to all this, few questions

(8 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

djwoodyuk

Hi.
    Just joined today so Hi to you all.

Seriously thinking about purchasing the HDR1000s as I am sick of Sky's prices now.

Few questions if you don't mind:
    1) Is the HDR1000s the best Freesat box available? I am led to believe it is.

2) Have any of you had any problems with your box?

3) I have a Magic Eye in my bedroom and the Humax does not have an RF out. Am I right in saying you can just buy a Universal modulator to carry the signal? Does the Box need to be powered on all the time?

4) How long does the box take to power up?

5) How does the box compare to Sky HD? Would any of you ever go back?

Sorry for all the questions, any help would be great.

Thanks
    Chris

| Wed 4 Sep 2013 12:28:01 #1 |
  2. -gonzo-

-gonzo-

special member

1) Yes, currently the HDR 1000/1010s is IMO the best Freesat box available at this time.

2) There were some initial teething problems, but currently on the most recent released software it's pretty much problem free.

3) I do not know personally.

4) The unit should take around 35 seconds to fully boot up from standby.

5) This ones down to personal preference as obviously there's less HD channels, some channels that were free on Sky may not be available on freesat ie: Dave,Quest, CH5 HD etc.
    Plus side is no cluttered EPG with things that give you a message about subscribing. No fee to record anything.
    Would I ever go back to Sky? I would like to think I would never go back, but if there was something totally amazing to pull me in then who knows.

Hopefully the HD selection on Freesat will improve over time, as well as seeing an improvement with the on demand content with the likes of Netflix.

| Wed 4 Sep 2013 13:15:35 #2 |
  3. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

The HDR1000/1010S is the only G2 box there currently is. If you want the G2 capability with catch up TV there's no other choice.

There were a few teething problems with recordings, now sorted and the box is now very stable

A modulator will give you the pictures but not magic eye remote control support, for that you need a device like this.

http://www.triax.co.uk/upload/tri-link_aug_2010.pdf

From full sby about 35-40 seconds, if a accurate recording is due to start within 15 minutes boot is virtually instant (the box is booted but has no video/audio output)

The box only needs to be powered if you want to watch it remotely. Terrestrial Freeview signals are passed through the modulator/tri-link so only this needs to be powered, your aerial isn't connected to the Freesat box at all.

I don't have Sky-HD but my daughter did. The Sky-HD boxes are very long in the tooth and apart from the latest ones use a prodigous amount of power in sby, the G2 box is much superior in my opinion

| Wed 4 Sep 2013 13:24:03 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

djwoodyuk

Great, thanks for all that.
    Think I'll take the plunge and go for it.

| Wed 4 Sep 2013 14:38:51 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Freeley

We've had ours about 6 months now since dropping sky and haven't regretted it for a minute.
    Not had any problems at all with our box, i find it a bit sluggish on the epg screens but fine apart from that.
    I've not seen it mentioned on here but it seems to have a "cold start" that takes 35 seconds to boot, and also a "warm start" where it boots pretty much instantly. I thought this was random and couldn't understand it but now think that it might do the warm start if it's recording something at the time.

There aren't loads of hd channels or the likes of Dave but if you've got a modern hdtv with freeview built in then you get a bit more choice by switching to that.

12 months and my box will have paid for itself in saved sky subs.

| Thu 5 Sep 2013 21:48:20 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

damian

special member

Hi Chris,

my partner's Humax box paid for itself in less than 6 months after cancelling sky and she's never looked back. A bit of a no brainer really.
    I trust you'll be pleased with it and there's a good support community here.

| Thu 5 Sep 2013 22:20:08 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

andyman

Hi all

I have just purchased a HDR 1000s, which I find great . But when scrolling through catch up can you look back a whole week for all the catch up channels or only one channel at a time.

| Mon 16 Sep 2013 21:02:54 #7 |
  8. Barry

Barry

senior admin

Welcome to the Forum

Only one at a time.

| Tue 17 Sep 2013 7:57:08 #8 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.