My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

New TV required- Freesat inc?

(6 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Lindberg146

Dear Forum

It appears I have lost touch with TV technology, my TV set has expired, the possible replacements offer freesat "built in" ....how would this interface with my Humax with freest + HDR?

Is the Humax redundant? or do I need to explore TV with no freesat options?

Best regards

| Thu 2 Jun 2016 13:20:15 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

Personally I'm a firm believer in separate boxes rather than integrated solutions. It's far easier and cheaper to replace a PVR (with included recording facilities) than it is to buy another new TV.

With the continual advancements in technology any TV with Freesat built in could be out of date within a couple of years. All you need to do with a new "Freeview" TV is plug your Freesat box into one of the HDMI ports on your new TV and that's it.

Good luck with your new purchase.

| Thu 2 Jun 2016 13:43:33 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Reffub

special member

Certainly no requirement to have a Freesat built in TV if you have a +HDR.

I have a Panasonic Freesat built in TV (it's a few years old now still working fine), also have two Humax HDR's, so I need 5 cables from my LNB on the dish (I have 3 cabled but spare just incase I ever need them)
    I think most modern Freesat TV's can take 2 sat inputs so if you go that route you'd want a 4 cable LNB to make the most of a Freesat TV and HDR.
    I only get Freesat here so it's nice to be able to just turn the TV on and watch something like sport, without having to boot up the Humax.

| Thu 2 Jun 2016 13:51:59 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Lindberg146

Dear Forum

Thank you for your prompt response and support......however "she who shall be obeyed" arrived from shopping yesterday with a new replacement smart TV ...set it up in mins ...it does not have a recorder/freesat built in so Humax lives on.

I fear that to date I can not control the volume from the humax remote and have to resort to the set remote especially when in "sports mode" ( thought this term was exclusive to cars) .....is this something which is to adjust or live with ? any suggestion welcome

| Fri 3 Jun 2016 8:22:38 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

ataboy

I've got a Freesat TV but I found it a pain to record programmes. I connected an external disc OK but my TV's proprietary interface for recording is convoluted and unfriendly. The only advantage to me was just having the one remote control.

So I got an 1100S and a Harmony remote and I still just have one remote to do everything!

I've noticed that people sometimes refer to booting up the Humax to watch TV. Is that common? I leave mine on permanently; I've never considered turning it off at all.

EDIT: I've just seen the comment about needing two remotes to control the volume. Before I had the Harmony I had that problem, but it's a simple command to program the remote to control just the TV sound. I leave the Humax volume at maximum and adjust the TV's volume to suit.

| Fri 3 Jun 2016 8:32:45 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

Lindberg146 - 1 hour ago  » 
    Dear Forum
    Thank you for your prompt response and support......however "she who shall be obeyed" arrived from shopping yesterday with a new replacement smart TV ...set it up in mins ...it does not have a recorder/freesat built in so Humax lives on.
    I fear that to date I can not control the volume from the humax remote and have to resort to the set remote especially when in "sports mode" ( thought this term was exclusive to cars) .....is this something which is to adjust or live with ? any suggestion welcome

You let your good lady buy the TV Yikes whatever next, they'll be wanting to tinker round with car engines, equal pay and have a mind of their own. It reminded me of a script from 'last of the summer wine'. You need to do what Barry always did in those situations and put your foot down.

Good luck with that!!!!!!!

| Fri 3 Jun 2016 9:27:19 #6 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.