My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

New User's Observations & Questions

(16 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

glospete

Having moved from a Foxsat HDR to a HDR1000S I naively believed that the new unit would have all the features of the previous model ... and then some! However whilst the menu system is visually much improved and there are a number of nice features (faster deleting being one) I have a few questions:

1. The "Your Settings" section is not even mentioned in the Freesat/Humax instruction book. Is that correct?
    2. On page 20 of the manual it says that the HDR1000S will fast forward or rewind at 64X whereas it only appears to operate at 32X. Have I missed something?
    3. On our old machine it was extremely useful to be able to move from chapter to chapter in a recording but that feature seems too have been dropped. Is that right that there are no chapters now?
    4. It does appear that certain programmes set to "record entire series" "disappear" from the planned recording list for no apparent reason. Is this typical?

| Tue 22 Apr 2014 11:37:16 #1 |
  2. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

1. freesat's choice I guess.
    2. The manual is incorrect - the PVR chipset does not support 64X.
    3. Correct.
    4. The only series record programmes that should disappear are those that have no episode for 13 weeks. That said if a channel ceases to exist all it's schedule will be deleted. The recent ITV channel moves that were badly handled by ITV caused the channel to disappear for a while and the related schedules were deleted.

| Tue 22 Apr 2014 12:08:15 #2 |
  3. -gonzo-

-gonzo-

special member

1 & 2 : As a quess I'd say that the manual wasn't written by Humax themselves but rather someone from Freesat who had no knowledge of how the box actually works as there's quite a bit wrong with it and a lot of important stuff missing. But then some of what's written in the Help & Info section on the box regarding on screen icons is also wrong too so who knows who's actually responsible.
    It has to be the worst manual I've ever seen that's come with a Humax box.

3 & 4: As Repassac said above.

| Tue 22 Apr 2014 12:15:17 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Lindberg146

Dear Forum

Another newbie here, I have waited until the rumour mill about Astra 28E subside post commissioning and becoming operational.

My friend swears by HUMAX Foxsat HD although he is unable to advise the definition of the term "foxsat"

So to discover "facts I contacted Humax tech dept as follows:

"I am contemplating purchase of one of your devices perhaps HDR-1010s/1TB or HDR-1000s/500GB. However, I understand HUMAX Fox sat or HD fox devices include "unicable" technology
    ( to CENELEC pr EN 50494) from review of your site HUMAX products "Freesat" compatible do not apparently include the reference to the term "FOX" which previously confirmed single cable compatibility.

Are you able to confirm the products cited require single cable only to facilitate reception and PVR operation?

Or perhaps advise which of your products facilitate single "Unicable" technology.

Thanking you in anticipation"END

This is the reply" [i]"Thank you for contacting Humax Support.

You would need 2 individual cables coming from the dish to the units in order to record 2 programs at a time.

The Unicable set up may not work as it has not been tested." END

Which does not address my question and does not correlate with the content of knowledgeable parties sharing this forum and serves to further confuse, especially as I understand "unicable" has been available since 2007 ish.

It is reasonably apparent older "Foxsat HD" products are still available from some retailers (perhaps 350MB), my question is would this product operate including PVR utilising a single coaxial cable from dish? OR am I better off with the newer HDR 1000s products.

I only require to watch TV and do not contemplate recording more than one item at any single time. (multiple simultaneous recording not necessary)

The installation is required in an apartment, dish currently aimed 28E of Sth but only receives native channels (Why don't they just say 208 deg?)

I have permission to have an additional dish erected, however my proposal was to have installed an additional LNB on to the same dish.

I have discussed this with local satellite Experts who apparently consider this similar to manned landing of Mars, and advise that no way is it possible in the area to receive UK TV channels.

This is strange, as I know someone within less than a kilometre radius who does receive UK freesat via an old Humax.

Apologies for ramblings but as HUMAX are unable to assist perhaps a little guidance may be gleend...

All the BeST

| Tue 22 Apr 2014 15:44:25 #4 |
  5. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Humax were the first Freesat boxes to be available (both launched in 2008 if I remember correctly).

The two models were the single tuner Foxsat-HD which had no recording capability and the later Foxsat-HDR a twin tuner Freesat+ recorder with a built in hard drive. Both are unicable/scr lnb capable.

These models are now replaced with the <freetime> second generation models.

The direction your dish points is known as the azimuth and is normally specified in simple degrees. Without knowing your location it's not possible to know which satellite your dish is pointing at nor advise as to how likely you are to be able to get 28.2/28.5E.

http://www.dishpointer.com will give you the azimuth and elevation for your exact location for any satellites you choose from the list.

Repassac has a scr lnb and will likely know if the G2 boxes have the option.

Both the Foxsat-hdr and the HDR1000/1010S will work with a single cable and a standard universal lnb and utilise both tuners. There are of course some restrictions on which channels you can record at the same time.

The Foxsat requires a short external link cable, the G2 boxes have an automatic internal link.

http://myhumax.org/forum/topic/what-can-i-record-and-watch-using-1-or-2-cables

Welcome to the forum

| Tue 22 Apr 2014 16:14:59 #5 |
  6. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

I will try to answer what I know.

The Foxsat HDR supports Unicable and it works well (with a Unicable LNB. I have tested it with 4 connections not the full 8 that I believe the unicable spec says. Unicable must be selected and setup in the secret antenna menu.
    I don't know about the Foxsat HD - will be on the spec sheet if so. The Foxsat will also run on one cable with a loop from LNb1 OUT to LNB1 IN.

As far as I know Unicable is not, as yet anyway, supported on the HDR-10x0S. (I don't look after every release as it entails a retune) It will run well on one cable however and detects it is in single cable mode.

The HB-1000s is designed as a single LNB unit. You can add an external hard disk if you want.

"Why don't they just say 28 deg?" because there is a 28E and a 28W.

You do not mention where you are located. I do not understand "but only receives native channels" as this seems to imply that you dish is not aimed at 28E. If it was you would be thinking of changing the LNB for one with more connections rather than adding a second.

Edit: Fast typing Graham.
    Will check the HB-1000S later - No schedule to loose on that.

Edit: HB-1000S Antenna menu has only "Fixed Disk" to select from.

| Tue 22 Apr 2014 16:17:16 #6 |
  7. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

I should have explained that a geostationary satellites exact location is specified by a single location eg 28.2deg E. That's because it's latitude is always zero. They orbit directly above the equator (about 22000 mls high). That's totally different to the dish azimuth, this is the direction you need to point the dish to align it on the satellite, and is simple compass bearing based on 360 degrees. The further South you are located the more Easterly the azimuth required.

The first obvious point is that to use any satellite it must be above the visible horizon where you are

The second is the beam shape the transmissions are concentrated in. The area of the Earth the beam is focussed on is called the footprint. The main UK psb channels are carried on tight UK spot beams. This means that particulary in Southern and Eastern areas of Europe that you may need a very large dish or reception may not be possible at all.

Check with your friend he still has the main UK channels, the switch to the very tight spot beams is very recent.

If you only want to record one thing at a time you don't need unicable support (this gives full two tuner operation using only a single cable).

| Tue 22 Apr 2014 16:32:44 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Lindberg146

Dear Special Members

Your prompt response is most gratifying, please accept my sincere thanks. I shall need a moment or longer to absorb the information presented, and pursuant to research and respond as appropriate.

FYI location is Haute Savoie......Sth of the big lake Nth of Mt. Blanc. I have however notice a substantial "gafe" in my opening post i.e. reference to 208 degrees as equivalent to 28 East of Sth........this of course = 180+ 28 which when I now recall the mnemonic "east is least ..west is best" the calculation I understand should correctly be 180 - (28) = 152 degrees magnetic ( +/_ deviation +/_ variation in accordance with alternative mnemonic TVMDC for those who recall this version)

Anyhow shall use the "satellite finder "to look for Astra 28E- from this location, most kind.

My friend still has he says "no difference in reception even in heavy rain" and proudly aclaims he knew all along the new Astra relocation rumours were without substance.............. not if you reside in areas of Espagne as I understand!

BeST regards

| Tue 22 Apr 2014 17:21:15 #8 |
  9. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Lindberg146 - 6 minutes ago  » 
    Dear Special Members
    Your prompt response is most gratifying, please accept my sincere thanks. I shall need a moment or longer to absorb the information presented, and pursuant to research and respond as appropriate.
    FYI location is Haute Savoie......Sth of the big lake Nth of Mt. Blanc. I have however notice a substantial "gafe" in my opening post i.e. reference to 208 degrees as equivalent to 28 East of Sth........this of course = 180+ 28 which when I now recall the mnemonic "east is least ..west is best" the calculation I understand should correctly be 180 - (28) = 152 degrees magnetic ( +/_ deviation +/_ variation in accordance with alternative mnemonic TVMDC for those who recall this version)
    Anyhow shall use the "satellite finder "to look for Astra 28E- from this location, most kind.
    My friend still has he says "no difference in reception even in heavy rain" and proudly aclaims he knew all along the new Astra relocation rumours were without substance.............. not if you reside in areas of Espagne as I understand!
    BeST regards

Looks as if a 6o/80cm dish may well be OK.

See here

http://www.a516digital.com/2014/02/special-what-changed-in-european.html

| Tue 22 Apr 2014 17:28:18 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

epicure_2002

hi everyone. i'm new here as well, but have been using sat equipment since 1987! in any case, as i live in the western part of switzerland, on lake geneva, i am able to receive the new astra 28.2
    E transmission with a 80 cm dish. previously i was using 4 lnb's on the dish ( 13,19,28.2 and 28.5 E ) however, since the tighter footprint on 28.2 i have had to abandon the multi focus feeds and just have the one centered on 28.2. the signal and quality levels are amazing. always above 90%.

| Sat 26 Apr 2014 7:17:59 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.