My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

Newsnight clipping

(7 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

typonaut

Since Newsnight began regular broadcasts again (after coverage of death/funeral of Elizabeth II) my scheduled recordings of Newsnight are clipped at the start (typically about a minute) and the end (typically about three minutes).

When I check the programme guide, the recording times seem to match with the times stated in the guide, but still there is this clipping.

There is no way with the PVR4000T to extend the recording time with overlaps (I think I had this with an old Thompson DVR, 3 mins at start and end), so no idea how to fix.

Is it a problem with the PVR4000T, or is it the BBC's data for the guide (or something else) that is wrong?

I am only noticing this with Newsnight, no other programmes.

| Wed 5 Oct 2022 4:04:00 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

EEPhil

special member

Most likely a BBC fault.
    To extend one recording schedule, rather than a series, you could go into the schedule menu, scroll to the item of interest and press +. I think there is an item reschedule on the menu that appears. You have to type in a new start time and length eg. 2227 and 51 for +/- 3 minutes on Newsnight. You could schedule it daily, but unlike previous models there isn't a weekday option - so it would record something at the weekend. If the schedule changes or the timings are different daily, you're stuffed.

| Wed 5 Oct 2022 12:27:19 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

meadfoot

Probably the best solution is to delete that schedule and do it again.

| Wed 5 Oct 2022 14:55:14 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

A1944

special member

This is almost certainly the broadcaster not sending the signal to start the recording at the right time. I have noticed that the BBC1 6pm news has been a bit late in the last few days.

It is not recommended, but in the "PVR Settings" you can change it so that all recordings start before the specified time (padding) - or end after, but it means that any late changes to the schedule will not be recognised. I used to have it set to 3 minutes, but soon cancelled it.

| Wed 5 Oct 2022 20:37:43 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

EEPhil

special member

Although I always use padding for all channels, I didn't mention that above because typonaut only had a problem with one programme. (I find that I need padding for recordings on the minor channels. That's just me. I hate missing even a second from either end of programmes!)

| Thu 6 Oct 2022 7:55:37 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

A1944

special member

One circumstance when padding can be a problem is when recording consecutive programmes on the same channel, particularly if it is one with no HD version.

An example can be the three Monday evening quiz programmes on BBC2 at present. The only way to do it with padding is to ensure that the first and last are recorded on HD and the middle one on SD. With no padding, they can all be on HD.

| Thu 6 Oct 2022 15:21:48 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

typonaut

Thanks, I'll contact the BBC to see if I can get some feedback from them, and look at the padding. What I noticed is that the scheduled time for Newsnight is 40 mins, but the playback on iPlayer is 42-43 mins, so this accounts for the clipping – tonight was approximately 2:42 clipped off the end.

| Fri 7 Oct 2022 3:18:30 #7 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.