My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

No COM7 or COM8 channels

(10 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

tman247

I have a 5000T running the latest OTA firmware (1.03.45). The unit works, but I'm not receiving ANY channels on either the COM7 or COM8 mux (I'm on the Hannington transmitter). I've re-tuned many times, but while the guide info will populate, any channel on these MUX's just shows the standard 'the signal is too weak' message.

The confusing part is that three other TV's in the house AND a HDHomerun4 network tuner can receive all the channels fine, so it's just the Humax that has problem, and all run off the same masthead amp. I really want to like the 5000T, but this means I have to be careful what channels I record, and that is very frustrating.

| Sat 29 Sep 2018 12:39:16 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

For many areas the change to COM7 & 8 required an aerial upgrade e.g. Group A aerials (which I was on) couldn't receive these frequencie.

An upgrade to a Log Periodic wide-band aerial solved the issue.

| Sat 29 Sep 2018 15:25:31 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

tman247

Thanks for the tip. The fact every other TV in the house can receive all channels on COM7 and COM8 though, means this doesn't make any sense, and points to a possible firmware/tuner problem with the 5000T.

| Sat 29 Sep 2018 16:04:48 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

tman247 - 8 minutes ago  » 
    Thanks for the tip. The fact every other TV in the house can receive all channels on COM7 and COM8 though, means this doesn't make any sense, and points to a possible firmware/tuner problem with the 5000T.

I would check your aerial cables and make sure they are routed away from any HDMI cables as this can cause interference. Also check the quality of your aerial cable. For best results you something like WF100/100 WEBRO with F-connectors. If you're using the often supplied fly leads i.e. the once included in the box then bin them as they are rubbish.

| Sat 29 Sep 2018 16:17:43 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

A1944

special member

Also, the tuners on different pieces of kit can vary in their sensitivity and hence their abilities to tune weaker signals successfully.

It may just be that the 5000T is a little less sensitive than your other devices or that the cabling to the 5000T is a bit longer than to the others so the signal is getting attenuated more.

There are a number of possible explanations for what you are observing.

| Sat 29 Sep 2018 17:46:47 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

tman247 - 2 hours ago  » 

Just to rule out any problem at your end, could you temporarily move the FVP-5000T to use the feed for one of the TVs that does receive COM7 and COM8 and see if they are still missing when retuned. Tuner sensitivity is a tricky issue; make them too sensitive and people who live close to the transmitters have problems with tuner overloading.

| Sat 29 Sep 2018 18:56:51 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

tman247

Thanks. Already tried changing the aerial from the TV to the 5000T - it still doesn't receive COM7 or 8. Connect the aerial back to the TV, and all channel work as expected. Aerial cables I'm using are good quality shielded ones. All three devices (Samsung 4k TV, 5000T and HDHR) are using the same feed split from a masthead amp power supply. Other TV's in the house are split from a box in the loft, but on the same aerial. Everything receives COM7/8 ok except the 5000T.

| Sun 30 Sep 2018 10:35:11 #7 |
  8. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

tman247 - 1 hour ago  » 
    Thanks. Already tried changing the aerial from the TV to the 5000T - it still doesn't receive COM7 or 8. Connect the aerial back to the TV, and all channel work as expected. Aerial cables I'm using are good quality shielded ones. All three devices (Samsung 4k TV, 5000T and HDHR) are using the same feed split from a masthead amp power supply. Other TV's in the house are split from a box in the loft, but on the same aerial. Everything receives COM7/8 ok except the 5000T.

Try a variable attenuator, on the 5000T input. Signal level may simply be too high.

| Sun 30 Sep 2018 11:52:20 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

grahamlthompson - 12 minutes ago  » 
    Try a variable attenuator, on the 5000T input. Signal level may simply be too high.

Why would only the low power MUXs be affected?

| Sun 30 Sep 2018 12:05:33 #9 |
  10. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Martin Liddle - 23 minutes ago  » 

grahamlthompson - 12 minutes ago  » 

Why would only the low power MUXs be affected?

Probably because of the FEC settings used on COM 7 and COM 8. and vulnerability to co-channel interference from adjacent transmitters already having moved COM 7 and 8 to similar frequencies.

It's a cheap bit of kit and worth a go.

I needed a attenuator on the weakest (COM Muxes) from Lark Stoke which is SFN with other transmitters.

| Sun 30 Sep 2018 12:32:00 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.