No or bad signal after standby

(30 posts)
  1. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

AlanFoxsat - 2 minutes ago  » 

grahamlthompson - 3 minutes ago  » 

AlanFoxsat - 3 minutes ago  » 
    It's odd that the display and led were still lit after being unplugged for several hours!

I presume you mean in sby - nothing works if unplugged
    The box has two sby modes with Low Power Sby turned off the clock is displayed 24/7.
    I posted a test in post 13
    Simple test
    Record 300 Film 4 - can you watch say 124 More 4 ?
    The box will switch off if previously in sby, it won't if the watch reservation is actioned while the box is booted.

I missed that test, sorry. No I cannot do that combination. 300 and 125 but not 300 and 124. I don't mind those limitation. TBH it's only a secondary PVR as I have cable/tivo so is a kind of spill over for occasional stuff and RTL (f1 etc) and where I want to "archive".
    EDIT: I meant the front panel display. That and the red led remain dimly lit after hours of being unplugged!

As suspected using a motor restricts freesat mode to single cable (dual tuner with the loop through) mode. Recording settings made via the epg should be aware of the restrictions. Note The channel up down buttons will cycle through available viewable channels while recording one or two channels. If you try setting clashing recordings for the two I suggested the second one should generate a clash message.

| Mon 6 Apr 2015 12:23:41 #21 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

AlanFoxsat

Just an update to say the problem is not fixed. I had to unplug to move to a different mains socket. (didn't touch stb or lnb cable) Since then the problem is back. Still no idea where the problem lies, if there is a fault or just some incompatibility between the stb and motor. Don't know why certain channels e.g. 140, 145 etc work. What is different about them? What is the stb doing on startup to cause this. The problem happens with channel 999.

| Mon 6 Apr 2015 21:59:03 #22 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

AlanFoxsat

AlanFoxsat - 1 day ago  » 
    It's odd that the display and led were still lit after being unplugged for several hours!

Just in case anyone was wondering what that was all about - it was caused by a manual hdmi switch. Must have been a slight leakage either from the tv or another device.

I took the switch out in case it caused the standby error but no joy.

I wonder if it's worth checking for any dodgy capacitors in the foxsat power supply, for the standby problem?

| Tue 7 Apr 2015 18:07:19 #23 |
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

AlanFoxsat - 1 hour ago  » 

AlanFoxsat - 1 day ago  » 
    I wonder if it's worth checking for any dodgy capacitors in the foxsat power supply, for the standby problem?

Won't hurt to check but afaik the Foxsat-hdr doesn't have the issues caused by the Capxon caps used in the Foxsat-HD.

| Tue 7 Apr 2015 19:51:45 #24 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

AlanFoxsat

NOTE: Before posting I see these channels moved from 27500 2/3 to 27500 5/6. Should the box not have updated???? Maybe it will happen tomorrow 3am?

I have been using the workaround of setting a 1 minute watch 5 minutes before a recording, on channel 145, except on the known "good" channels, where it is not necessary. This has been fine. But today channel 145 (challenge) and also 160 (challenge +1) give me the "no or bad signal" error. Every other channel that I have tried (tried nearly all of them) give me 95/100 or 100/100 signal. But challenge give me 0,0 at 12304 H 27500. Neighbouring transponders are also 100%

Is challenge tv working for others. I cannot see any news that it has moved? If it had, shouldn't it have automatically updated. Or any other explanation?

Regarding the original issue, I did visually inspect the motherboard and capacitors and all looks good, very clean. I also contacted Humax and they were very good to respond, but confirmed they had not come across anything similar. They suggested updating the firmware and other things which I have already done.

| Thu 23 Apr 2015 19:19:15 #25 |
  6. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

AlanFoxsat - 27 minutes ago  » 
    NOTE: Before posting I see these channels moved from 27500 2/3 to 27500 5/6. Should the box not have updated???? Maybe it will happen tomorrow 3am?
    I have been using the workaround of setting a 1 minute watch 5 minutes before a recording, on channel 145, except on the known "good" channels, where it is not necessary. This has been fine. But today channel 145 (challenge) and also 160 (challenge +1) give me the "no or bad signal" error. Every other channel that I have tried (tried nearly all of them) give me 95/100 or 100/100 signal. But challenge give me 0,0 at 12304 H 27500. Neighbouring transponders are also 100%
    Is challenge tv working for others. I cannot see any news that it has moved? If it had, shouldn't it have automatically updated. Or any other explanation?
    Regarding the original issue, I did visually inspect the motherboard and capacitors and all looks good, very clean. I also contacted Humax and they were very good to respond, but confirmed they had not come across anything similar. They suggested updating the firmware and other things which I have already done.

I you have a Foxsat-hdr and the change was today, the update should take place during overnight housekeeping. If it's a freetime box the change should already have happened. 145 is working OK on my HDR1000S. Not working on my Foxsat, should work tomorrow morning.

| Thu 23 Apr 2015 19:49:28 #26 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

AlanFoxsat

Thanks, makes sense.

Just noticed something else strange going on. I have a series link for something on Pick tv. I noticed the last recording was 21/4. If I go to the schedule list the date shown is also 21/4. Yet there is a different episode every day. The details for todays episode does not match anything already recorded, so why did it not record????

| Thu 23 Apr 2015 21:09:39 #27 |
  8. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

I can confirm that Challeng, Challenge+1 and Forces TV updated the fec overnight and are now working. The short answer is the broadcaster has most likely changed the series crid (content reference identifier), the code that ties all the episodes the broadcaster considers to be part of a series. There's no way now of looking at what past episodes used as a series crid. If you post the actual programme name and time of the next episode I can post what content currently within the epg is the same series.

| Fri 24 Apr 2015 9:27:34 #28 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

AlanFoxsat

Not wanting to needlessly bump my own thread but just in case anyone is interested - the original problem, "no signal after standby" if left on or switching on for scheduled recordings only on certain channels. It is proving NOT to be a problem. Despite being able to reproduce the problem at will, in testing. I am finding that in normal use, the error would not occur. I can only conclude without having done extensive testing, that if left in standby long enough, the problem does not occur. i.e. If watching BBC1 and switch off and then on again within a few minutes, I get "no signal". If I switch off and then switch on a few hours or days later, it works!!! Same with scheduled recordings, they all work UNLESS I switch off shortly before it wakes up!! I don't know if it is 10 minutes, 30, 60 or more.

It is as if the motor (on my dish) is holding on to the signal used to switch either the band or polarization, or whatever it is that causes some channels the problem.

I also found if I switched off, then unplugged the coax cable for a second or two before switching back on, that also worked, which maybe confirms that theory???

I stopped doing my workaround of a watch schedule on a "good" channel to wake it up before a scheduled recording on a "bad" channel and no failures!!!

I'm sure it will catch me out sometime but seems to be ok.

| Sun 17 May 2015 16:21:30 #29 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

AlanFoxsat

I know this is a really old thread but just for fun, I have a slightly interesting update. I think ultimately the issue is between the motor and the LNB. I don't know if there are any DISEQC experts around?

First a quick recap: I have a dish with a motor. Single LNB and single cable to the Foxsat. (plus stb link cable) All works great but in Freesat mode, when I turn off the FoxSat and turn it back on, I get "no or bad signal", unless I switch to certain channels such as "Challenge". ("Challenge" is the first channel that works starting from 1) We ruled out polarisation, hi/low frequencies, 2 cable modes etc etc. Once I have tuned to "Challenge" I can now switch to any other channel and it works. I think I determined, if I bypass the motor, the problem goes away.

So the update: I recently bought an LG tv (with freesat and freeview) Exactly the same problem !!! But wait - I found a solution. In the LG menu, I can turn off and on, the power to the LNB, after doing this, I get "no signal" BUT if I set "DISEQC" to "Tone A" everything works. I can now turn the tv off on ANY channel and turn back on and it tunes in. Turn DISEQC back off and the problem is back. ("Tone A" works and "off" doesn't, not tried all the other options) This seems to be a setting to do with switches rather than motors?

I found this solution just by trial and error. I have no switches, just the motor. I don't even know what "Tone A" is, it seems like it performs some reset that my LNB needs after a power off?

So does anyone have any idea what this might mean? I had a quick look back in the Foxsat and can't see an equivalent setting?

Is it just some incompatibility between the motor and the lnb? I don't even know if I mentioned before it is a Sky lnb, elliptical dish, so maybe just flaky with a motor?) Perhaps ultimately at some point I'll replace the dish and motor although I have no other need to, at the moment.

Probably no one has any idea about this, if nothing else, I am documenting it for my own benefit, in case I buy another tv in another 5 years and forgot what the "fix" is.

| Tue 21 Apr 2020 19:50:26 #30 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.