My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » FOXSAT HDR

"No or bad signal" on ITV, BBC2 and others

(15 posts)
  1. patpending

patpending

Instead of a picture on key channels: message displayed

"no or bad signal"

white on blue against a dark screen.

Hello again, I've been quiet as my box has been playing nicely.

One by one, however, I am losing Freesat channels. First of all I could get Pick but not Pick+1. Now I cannot get either. I have lost BBC2 on 102 (has it moved to 109? London area), I can get Channel 4 but not C4+1, and I can't even get ITV!

When switching to a channel you can see a bar at the bottom of the screen for a couple of seconds once selected showing the name of the current programme and signal strength (normally 90-100%), then just the message "no or bad signal".

Channels I *can* get like BBC1 101, Channel 4 104, and Channel 5 105, are perfect reception. I can also watch all channels I have selected on 19.2°E without this problem.

I have rescanned all the channels, turned the box off and back on again, but all to no avail.

My Panasonic television set is ten years old and certainly not HD. It is linked to the FOXSAT by SCART which is normally perfect. Is the issue something to do with these channels being in HD?

| Thu 7 Jan 2016 19:01:58 #1 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Check you still have channel 999, If so make a note of your recording schedule and try a factory reset.

If that doesn't work then a number of possible answers.

Water in the coax cables

Dish moved

Lnb failing

| Thu 7 Jan 2016 19:17:49 #2 |
  3. patpending

patpending

Thank you so much for the tip, Graham. I was able to carry out a factory reset (0000 is my PIN) but the problem persists. I'll try another receiver, failing which I'll get the man from the fish shop back.
    I wonder if it's just Nature's way of stopping me from watching Nothing To Declare Australia and anything on the Other Side?

(btw I think the "No or Bad Signal" may in fact be a message on my television, though the effect is the same!)

| Thu 7 Jan 2016 19:36:58 #3 |
  4. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

If you check the failing channels against this list you may pin the problem down. Note the transponder polarisation in column 1 {Vertical or Horizontal) and if the frequency is > or < 11700. If all the missing channels are in one or two of these blocks it would point to a failing LNB or much less likely a switching problem in the receiver.

| Fri 8 Jan 2016 8:30:59 #4 |
  5. tellboy

tellboy

Not an answer to your problem.. but I too have been plagued by "no or bad signal" then a few seconds later "signal restored" and "No Ethernet Connection" followed by "Connecting" followed by "Connection Restored" over and over again emanating from my so called "SMART" LG TV.
    It drives me mad and there is no way of turning off the messages.
    I cant blame my Humax as it happens when it is not ON.

| Fri 8 Jan 2016 16:34:15 #5 |
  6. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

tellboy - symptomatic of a poorly fitted connector.

| Fri 8 Jan 2016 16:48:08 #6 |
  7. patpending

patpending

Thank you so much for your replies. I had presumed it might be a software issue but a visit from Satellite Repair Man identified the problem as hardware - both LNBs replaced as well as the DiSeCq (sp?) switch.

I discovered that although Dave *is* carried on 28.2°E, it is not FTA. And that my ten-year-old telly can't receive ITV4+1 on Freeview because there are channels now appearing on Freeview which only new tellies are technically capable of receiving!

So now back to the "secret menu" for the second satellite...

| Thu 21 Jan 2016 13:36:56 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

...my ten-year-old telly can't receive ITV4+1 on Freeview because there are channels now appearing on Freeview which only new tellies are technically capable of receiving!

ITV4+1 should be receivable on Freeview. It's on Ch 62 though only at certain hours. If you tune in at other times the channel may attempt to load a data service information notice. If your TV is telling you it can't receive the channel, perhaps it's just this notice that it's struggling with. Try during opening hours. (Sorry, don't know the times.)

| Thu 21 Jan 2016 14:29:26 #8 |
  9. patpending

patpending

I have found the secret menu on the Foxsat box but can't see how to set it up to access the 19.2°E channels which I know are there (another Technomate receiver can see them). I looked at the FAQ but didn't see this.
    EDIT now trying "two cables"...

| Thu 21 Jan 2016 14:42:48 #9 |
  10. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

patpending - 7 minutes ago  » 
    I have found the secret menu on the Foxsat box but can't see how to set it up to access the 19.2°E channels which I know are there (another Technomate receiver can see them). I looked at the FAQ but didn't see this.

http://www.purplesat.com/index.php?p=1_48_THE-FOXSAT-HIDDEN-MENU

| Thu 21 Jan 2016 14:50:46 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.