My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

No signal - revisited - dish or not?

(2 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Alanm1969

Just posted on the Welcome board with my background ...

Apologies for the massive post - there is nothing worse than receiving insufficient information if you wish to help someone, but I do tend to the other extreme as I am never sure how much information is necessary!

OK, OK! So not strictly a 1000S issue, but I've got the box unwrapped at home (for more than a month now), and I am still nowhere near viewing HD on my TV. Some of my queries are 100% generic satellite info, so if you wish to pass me on to another forum, then fine. But I am also asking some questions about how the Humax would respond in my circumstances.

Not only have I recently bought the Hummy box, but I have a new satellite aerial install on my house too. So when I say, I am receiving "No signal" on the hummy, the problem is far more likely to do with my install of the dish and/or the cabling to the hummy.

I have used a satellite finder to fine tune my satellite alignment (as suggested by Graham). It worked as I expected it to. Signal increases as you move the dish, get a high signal , I turn the dial down, move the dish up/down/left right to find highest signal, turn dial down again, repeat and voila!

Now, when I do the startup on the 1000S, I get "no signal" and the box gives up finding channels. I would guess that even if I was pointing at the wrong satellite, the hummy would display a signal, but fail to find channels? I was hoping that the box would display a network id so I could confirm which satellite it is pointing at, but can't see a screen to show that.

Owing to the fact that I had to rethink my dish location, the cabling (15m of RF65 shotgun) is made up of 5m + 10m with couplers connected - not ideal, but Martin at Satcure says that done right they shouldn't lose too much signal. I know there is an issue with either f plugs or coupler on one of the wires as I couldn't get the satellite finder working on one of the cables - so yes issue with one cable but hummy is able to "see" the dish with the other.

I have used the dishpointer website to find my bearing and horizontal elevation figures. The bearing is correct inasmuch as I am inclined to believe an Ipad compass app, but I accept that I could potentially be looking at the wrong satellite group - I know that 2-3 degrees out and you could be looking at the entirely wrong group.

As for elevation, the elevation could be perhaps a little too high (but I am definately pointing at a satellite!). I know satellites are in groups at different locations around the equator, but are they also arranged (from a ground point of view) at different "heights" in the sky?

One "iffy" that is beyond my technical understanding is the LNB mount. As far as I am aware, I ordered a Mk4 dish, and I have the same LNB as my neighbour (who had Sky installed a couple of months ago). However, I have a "rectangular profile" dish arm that needs a mount to slot into it, whereas the Mk4 dish is supposed to have a "U" shaped arm with a remodelled mount (plus spirit level) clamped over. Owing to the different attachment styles, the lnb mounts are very different shapes (my lnb was supplied with both). So, could the dish be focussing the signal too long or too short for the lnb to correctly pick up a signal to pass on to the receiver?

Many thanks for any assistance!

And yes, I am getting pretty close to giving up and paying someone!

Alan..

| Thu 7 Mar 2013 12:40:51 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Pollensa1946

special member

In theory this should be easy. Using dishpointer.com you get line of sight, elevation and LNB skew. I then was at the dish with my mobile phone to ear and my wife at the receiver with mobile phone. Set elevation and LNB skew precise and fixed, then fine adjust line of sight while checking over the phone as to signal strength/quality. As to losses in F connections, negligible if terminated properly, certainly will not impact seriously on signal.

| Thu 7 Mar 2013 13:28:14 #2 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.