My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » HDR 1800T, 2000T

No sound

(126 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

It's never been confirmed it is the 2000T which is the issue. It's quite possible it's how different manufactures hardware/software interacts in relation to the HDMI port when carrying out the 'handshake' with peripherals.

| Sat 1 Oct 2016 15:48:31 #101 |
  2. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

Faust - 2 hours ago  » 
    It's never been confirmed it is the 2000T which is the issue. It's quite possible it's how different manufactures hardware/software interacts in relation to the HDMI port when carrying out the 'handshake' with peripherals.

+1

| Sat 1 Oct 2016 18:47:19 #102 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

bill63

special member

Hi faust, So how come then that I have never heard of any other model or HD device with the same problem.
    I have not heard of any other Humax model with this problem ether.
    This has been reported on other forums as well.
    I have the same problem and so do my friend but we get by.
    It may not even be a software fault or handshake issue it could be even a hardware fault.
    With out an expert telling us then we all in the dark at the moment, but to think it is to do with the TV its self is just rubbish.

| Sat 1 Oct 2016 21:05:28 #103 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Luke

special member

Faust - 6 hours ago  » 

The issue has been reported on at least Sony, Sharp (Aquos), Philips, Samsung, Toshiba, Panasonic and LG. If the root cause is the TVs not conforming strictly to spec then with so many manufacturers not complying, and no difficulties reported with other HDMI clients, the onus remains with Humax to cater for the real world.

| Sat 1 Oct 2016 22:23:06 #104 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

Luke - 41 minutes ago  » 

Faust - 6 hours ago  » 

The issue has been reported on at least Sony, Sharp (Aquos), Philips, Samsung, Toshiba, Panasonic and LG. If the root cause is the TVs not conforming strictly to spec then with so many manufacturers not complying, and no difficulties reported with other HDMI clients, the onus remains with Humax to cater for the real world.

When I first purchased my 2000T it had exactly this issue - Panasonic TV BTW. However, on further investigation I found it wasn't the TV at all. I was connecting the HDMI lead from the 2000T to a Neet 5 port HDMI hub and it was this which was causing the issue. Once I connected the Humax to a HDMI port on the Panasonic TV direct it has never occurred since.

I also don't use the pass-through on the Humax either as I found this wasn't a perfect solution. Passive splitter is the best way to connect it. The retro engineered fix for pass-through has I think not been wholly successful.

| Sat 1 Oct 2016 23:10:12 #105 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

bill63 - 2 hours ago  » 
    Hi faust, So how come then that I have never heard of any other model or HD device with the same problem.

Have you tried googling "HDMI handshake problems"? It brings up an awful lot of hits and none on the first page that I saw related to Humax so I think it is an industry wide problem.

By the way it brought up an interesting guide with some tips I haven't seen before, seeLink to HDMI trouble shooting guide

| Sat 1 Oct 2016 23:10:26 #106 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

That link is a fascinating read Martin. I will have to read and re-read to absorb it all though. It does explain just how hit and miss this connection can be. I can understand now why the HDMI switch I use may have caused an issue with the Humax.

I also think the pass-through fix has a part to play with this issue.

| Sat 1 Oct 2016 23:23:17 #107 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Minstrel SE

special member

Faust - 12 hours ago  » 

Minstrel SE - 11 hours ago  » 
    Is this model riddled with glitches?
    For the first time today I have had no sound when switching on from off at the mains.
    A reboot sorts it but why should I have to reboot an electronic device that has already booted from the first power on
    Really folks...something isnt right here...something isnt right at all.
    A device either works or it has ridiculous flaws that destroy the pride of ownership

When you say switching off from the mains do you mean you are actually cutting all power to the machine rather than have it in standby? If so I would suggest that is the issue. These modern boxes are actually mini computers and not really designed to have no power at all. When you have started it up I expect it has failed to boot correctly, just like normal computers do at times.
    Why are you not using it in lower power standby? In this state it uses a tiny tiny bit of power, over a year we are talking pennies.

Well yes because mostly I like to switch off my quality brennenstuhl power blocks. I have loads of equipment connected as Im a gamer etc.

Maybe I will have to leave it on but Im not recording so often that it always needs to be in standby. It would need its own feed then as I dont want other equipment powered up

Power consumption isnt an issue. I would have thought it could boot from cold. Note every other Humax I have had boots from cold

| Sun 2 Oct 2016 0:13:36 #108 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

bill63

special member

This issue seems to only affect the 1800T/2000T and NO OTHER Humax product.
    Humax is aware of the issue, but it maybe to expensive correct as it could be a design fault in the hardware to put right.
    And as its only an intermitted fault and most people are putting up with it, so they are not bothered as it would cost the £1000's even millions to recall all of them.
    If it was a software problem then they could have easily fix it by now with an update.
    If this was handshake issue then the problem would there all the time not just every now and again.
    If it was a TV problem it would affect your equipment like your DVD player or Sky box or games console etc, and would only affect a odd few people.

| Sun 2 Oct 2016 10:34:09 #109 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

Pollensa1946

special member

Martin Liddle - 11 hours ago  » ...Have you tried googling "HDMI handshake problems"? It brings up an awful lot of hits and none on the first page that I saw related to Humax so I think it is an industry wide problem...

Yes. I recall some years ago Arcam HiFi had serious HDMI sound pops problems with one of their AV processors. Since their kit sells for significantly more than the typical Humax the users were not amused. They eventually brought in an acknowledged world expert on HDMI to advise them. HDMI is a poor design, often implemented on the cheap by manufacturers. At the simplest level it lacks a locking mechanism for the cable entry, which inevitably leads to loose connections and often damage to the cable or entry point. I've never had problems with HDMI connections, Humax or any other kit, because I always ensure a tight connection well supported in some form, and no intermediate hubs or other devices. So I would advise Humax users to look elsewhere for their problems with sound and vision. Ethernet cable was designed by someone who knew what they were doing.

| Sun 2 Oct 2016 10:53:11 #110 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.