My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » FOXSAT HDR

No TV whilst recording

(31 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

JohnA

Hi All,

Firstly I confirm that I have tried Paul Finlay's suggestion on turning the Power Setting on standby to off the only effect this has had is for the time to be permanently displayed on the PVR screen whereas before this was not the case.

Graham - no firmware mods are available to me as the dvb function is unavailable in the TV's present configuration with the humax pvr. As we live in France I don't think I can get this anyway.
    There is no visible sign of a cec hdmi control only a link to allow an hdmi interface with other Panasonic equipment that uses hdmi links - this I have now turned to off - no change.

REPASSAC - the tv remote does have an av/tv button and switching between the two gives a snowy screen or a picture.

Thanks

| Tue 16 Oct 2012 17:46:02 #21 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

On your TV remote you will have a button that cycles through all the inputs it has and back to the TV tuners. If you lose the picture what happens when you cycle through all the connections you have till you find the input you have lost the picture from. It may look like a little TV with an arrow pointing in or say TV/AV. Pressing it once is no good you have to keep pressing.

| Tue 16 Oct 2012 17:55:09 #22 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

JohnA

Hi Graham,

Yes I know what the TV/AV button is and on the remote the av/tv button just goes through two inputs TV or AV. However if I use the TV/AV button on top of the TV set it goes through all the inputs and if I use this after I have lost the input from a DVD when the pvr goes into record or does an auto switch on for no reason then it eventually takes me back to the hdmi1 channel and input from the dvd is restored.

I have also now reset the TV on the DVB side to factory reset and all channels set before we left the UK have now been deleted. I did this in case there was any interference. Whilst there I found the freeware update and checked this with the response that it was up to date.

I will see how this performs today.

I will then try the alternative scart input on my TV for connecting to the DVD player and see if this has any effect.

Other than that I can't see any more options.

Many thanks.

John

| Wed 17 Oct 2012 11:23:56 #23 |
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

JohnA - 42 minutes ago  » 
    Hi Graham,
    Yes I know what the TV/AV button is and on the remote the av/tv button just goes through two inputs TV or AV. However if I use the TV/AV button on top of the TV set it goes through all the inputs and if I use this after I have lost the input from a DVD when the pvr goes into record or does an auto switch on for no reason then it eventually takes me back to the hdmi1 channel and input from the dvd is restored.

In that case everything is working as it should be if I understand you correctly. Do you have a scart cable from the Foxsat to the TV, if you do the scart auto select capability is simply switching the TV to the scart input, similary the DVD is doing the same. The last powered up grabs the scart. You can disable scart switching by removing pin 8 from a scart plug at either end of a cable.

https://www.google.co.uk/#hl=en&sugexp=les%3B&gs_nf=3&tok=XSWphGAHKL3gJGQOoFYUzw&cp=13&gs_id=1s&xhr=t&q=scart+diagram&pf=p&sclient=psy-ab&oq=scart+diagram&gs_l=&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&fp=204efed5098e1c78&bpcl=35277026&biw=1600&bih=776

| Wed 17 Oct 2012 12:11:44 #24 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

JohnA

Hi Graham,

No scart connected from Foxsat to TV as mentioned before I did do this as part of a test someone mentioned but otherwise it is only the hdmi cable from Foxsat to TV.

Since last response I have now switched the dvd to tv scart cable to the tv's second socket which is quoted in the tv's manual as having more functionality and with the deleted dvb stations the current situation so far is:

No loss of input to the tv when playing a dvd if the pvr starts to record.
    I no longer have to switch the pvr off to play a dvd.
    I do have to use the tv/av button to cycle through if I have played a dvd and then switch on the pvr to get a signal from the pvr to the tv. This is annoying but is something I may have to live with. I would have thought all parts should work together but obviously not.
    The pvr so far does not power on for no reason.
    If the TV is off and we switch it on whilst the pvr is in record mode we can now get a signal from the pvr to the tv after cycling through the tv/av button on the tv.

Thanks for your support.

John

| Sun 21 Oct 2012 10:16:02 #25 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

JohnA

Hi All,

I thought that this had remedied itself but I spoke too soon however I think I have found the problem of why the beast switches on for no reason.

We were watching a dvd when the pvr switched on at 6pm on Sunday last.

We are also are recording the current series of Downton on a Sunday and the current CSI Miami on a Saturday.

We have these set up to record "whole series".

We also kept a record of those times the pvr switched on whilst watching a dvd or it turned on by itself and we able to see this.

On a Thursday when a repeat of the previous Saturdays CSI is shown the pvr switches on at the time the repeat is shown. On a Sunday a repeat of the previous Sunday's Downton episode is shown at 6pm and again it is at this time the pvr turns on.

For some reason the pvr is assuming the repeat is linked to the actual programme set to record even though this is either on a different day or at a different time and turns itself on as if to record but does not record anything, it just turns on.

I checked programmes historically where I could and the timings where the pvr switched on matched the repeat for those programmes that were set to record on a different day or time.

I did a test with programmes which are aired with repeats on the same day and the same thing occurred.

Anyone else had this experience?

Thanks

John

| Mon 22 Oct 2012 13:30:04 #26 |
  7. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

Series link does not work that way John.
    A broadcast can have two identifiers called CRIDs, a programme CRID and a series CRID. The Foxsat just looks for the same series CRID and a different programme CRID. Day, time and even channel do not come into it.

| Mon 22 Oct 2012 13:44:47 #27 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

JohnA

Hi REPASSAC,

Thanks for the response.

Maybe, however can you or anyone explain why my pvr switches itself on when the same programme set in my record event plan is repeated on a different day or on the same day.

The times have been noted - eg: yesterday (Sunday) a repeat of Sunday 14th Oct Downton episode is aired at 6.00pm on the 21st Oct and the 21st Oct episode is set to record at 8pm. At precisely 6pm the pvr switched on by itself, no recording mode was set.

It has been the same for other programmes.

John

| Mon 22 Oct 2012 16:49:01 #28 |
  9. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

John did it record them as well?

| Mon 22 Oct 2012 17:56:43 #29 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

zeke

I've noticed what appear to be firmware bugs related to recording too, ever since upgrading to 4.0.9 firmware although it could have been there before when I didn't have many series links set.

For example, when it was paused on a finished recording playing back from the internal HDD it started recording The Hour on BBC HD, and although it grabbed the whole program the display said -START RECORDING- the entire time. Also, the schedule still has The Hour at the top with the date/time of the previous recording (final episode repeat was on Sunday) and pressing the info button brings up a "no info" dialogue. Strange.

As much as I like the Foxsat and don't deny the TiVo it replaced had it's fair share of bugs, there was never anything odd like this. I have to say the "live TV cache" (aka trick play) was handled better with no black screen when going from live to pre-recorded, and the ability to add the relevant part of the cache when recording a show rather than an unhelpful "will record from live TV" prompt.

| Tue 23 Oct 2012 0:43:44 #30 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.