My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

Noisy hard drive

(59 posts)
  1. andysue

andysue

RogerB - 1 hour ago  » 
    You have been very patient. Send it back for a refund, and try another one. As has been said this is not typical of the product. R-

Think you are right, Argos doesnt stock them though.
    No one appears to have said their 1TB is noisy, The only review I found where they said it was chattering with the 1 TB was Amazon, so I am sceptical.

| Sat 16 Dec 2017 8:16:01 #51 |
  2. RogerB

RogerB

special member

When you've got your refund go to https://www.humaxdirect.co.uk/humax-fvp-5000t-1tb-smart-freeview-play-hd-tv-recorder.html (sorry, can't seem to make this clickable - looks like the forum does that automatically). R-

| Sat 16 Dec 2017 9:14:26 #52 |
  3. andysue

andysue

Thanks for that, but as one reviewer said :-

Anonymous

Verified Buyer: Yes

This has been a very disappointing purchase. Surprisingly difficult to control. Frequently unable to watch a programme as the guide screen keeps superimposing itself. The machine is incredibly noisy and slow to respond to remote operation. I hate it.

Posted 1 month ago

I hope I wouldnt be jumping into the fire again.
    I have emailed Humax about it this morning but I wont hold my breath with the reply, but I will post it.

| Sat 16 Dec 2017 10:31:36 #53 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

HughA

You might get a faster response by phoning them. I was only on hold for about 5 minutes before being connected. My e-mails took a week to get a reply.

| Sat 16 Dec 2017 11:02:29 #54 |
  5. andysue

andysue

HughA - 1 week ago  » 
    You might get a faster response by phoning them. I was only on hold for about 5 minutes before being connected. My e-mails took a week to get a reply.

I guess you are right, They said I would get a reply within 24 - 48 hours. Still no response. I have untill the 4 Jan to take it back to Argos, Still undecided.

| Thu 28 Dec 2017 8:23:31 #55 |
  6. andysue

andysue

I have now taken it back as I tried to copy a prog onto the USB & nearly burned my fingers it was red hot.
    Here is the review I put on Argo I forgot to mention about Humax not even bothering to get back to me.

The hard drive was noisy & chattering. Her indoors said it was raining ! I said no it is the noise of the hard drive. The unit got very warm when recording. The EPG is absolutely horrible & hard to read. You couldnt see what the program was about unless you went into it. It also is slow. Will stick with my old Humax.
    I tried to put some recordings onto a USB stick which I gave up on. When I took the stick out it nearly burned my fingers!
    Took it back as I didnt trust it

| Tue 2 Jan 2018 11:41:39 #56 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Peter R

Hello everyone
    I started this conversation 5 months ago and have been interested to see people’s different opinions on noisy hard drives.
    I bought mine from Argos and yesterday returned it for a replacement as the noise was driving me mad , I have tried people’s suggestions of placing on a mat , blue tacking the feet , moving to another position, all to no avail.
    Set up the new one last night, and was very excited as it was silent ( to start with ) as soon as it started recording it started clattering, even when it had finished it still chattered away so had to switch it off.
    Really fed up with it now I love the functions of the box itself but can’t put up with the noise, so reluctantly took the second one back to Argos this morning for a full refund.
    I was tempted to buy a 2T machine from Humax Towers, as I’ve read some people think it might be the 500gb that’s the problem, but really don’t think I could take the disappointment of that being noisy as well, and not as easy to return as Argos.
    I will keep an eye on the forum for hopefully when this problem gets sorted I would love to buy another
    Regards
    Peter

| Fri 27 Apr 2018 11:56:27 #57 |
  8. andysue

andysue

Peter R - 11 hours ago  » 
    Hello everyone
    I started this conversation 5 months ago and have been interested to see people’s different opinions on noisy hard drives.
    I bought mine from Argos and yesterday returned it for a replacement as the noise was driving me mad , I have tried people’s suggestions of placing on a mat , blue tacking the feet , moving to another position, all to no avail.
    Set up the new one last night, and was very excited as it was silent ( to start with ) as soon as it started recording it started clattering, even when it had finished it still chattered away so had to switch it off.
    Really fed up with it now I love the functions of the box itself but can’t put up with the noise, so reluctantly took the second one back to Argos this morning for a full refund.
    I was tempted to buy a 2T machine from Humax Towers, as I’ve read some people think it might be the 500gb that’s the problem, but really don’t think I could take the disappointment of that being noisy as well, and not as easy to return as Argos.
    I will keep an eye on the forum for hopefully when this problem gets sorted I would love to buy another
    Regards
    Peter

I posted this some time ago & it is still ok & isnt noisy :-

I bought a new 5000T 500gb for Christmas, the hard drive was chattering & drove me nuts. After a month I took it back to Argos.
    I have just decided to invest again in a refurbished 4000T 500gb from Humax with a years guarantee & the new type remote after reading about the new software.
    I set it up & yes it found the new software. So I updated it.
    I then found that some of the HD channel were losing their signal. I thought 'here we go again' it may have to go back as all my other equipment shows the HD channels ok.
    I re tuned in all the channels again & that problem appeared to disapear.
    It looks no different to when I was using the 5000T. So I have an upgraded system at half the price, a quiet hard drive & 2 lovely little leds on the front that I can see if it is on or off.
    Marvelous.
    I will now see how how it works out over the next few weeks.

| Fri 27 Apr 2018 23:10:06 #58 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

Peter R

Hi Andysue
    Thanks for the tip I will certainly think about doing the same

Peter

| Sat 28 Apr 2018 8:07:22 #59 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.