My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

Noisy hard drive

(59 posts)
  1. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

RogerB - 9 minutes ago  » 
    No difference - but that may be the clock behind me. R-

AJ must have a very noisy box. No way it's typical. Perhaps he will confirm what sort of noise levels he gets.

| Tue 12 Dec 2017 11:32:08 #41 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Pollensa1946

special member

The Seagate pipeline drives that Humax use are not, in my limited experience, intrinsically noisy. The drive in my 1000S was completely silent but failed after 4&1/2 years. I replaced with another Seagate which was noticeably noisier, but it failed after two days and was returned (inadequate packaging by Amazon may have contributed). I replaced with a WD surveillance drive, which again is completely silent. I sit about 3 metres from the box, but even close to I can just hear a slight whirring. I have several media players with onboard Seagate drives. Again total silence.

| Tue 12 Dec 2017 13:02:41 #42 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

AJ

Very interesting!

Average 50, max 53 with phone on the tv cabinet. Shows that it’s not extremely noisier than others which is good and maybe I will get used to it after time. This was when the box was on with nothing recording.

Don’t get me wrong, I don’t notice in normal viewing, it’s when the room is quiet and it starts chattering that draws my attention.

| Tue 12 Dec 2017 20:57:01 #43 |
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

AJ - 6 minutes ago  » 
    Very interesting!
    Average 50, max 53 with phone on the tv cabinet. Shows that it’s not extremely noisier than others which is good and maybe I will get used to it after time. This was when the box was on with nothing recording.
    Don’t get me wrong, I don’t notice in normal viewing, it’s when the room is quiet and it starts chattering that draws my attention.

50dB is way louder than 36dB. It's a logarithmic scale. If your hard disk is generating that at more than a foot or so distance it must be way louder than normal.

http://www.industrialnoisecontrol.com/comparative-noise-examples.htm

All the time your box is on it's recording, that's how it can pause live TV.

The tests we did were in a quiet room with only normal background noise.

If the noise level where you sit in quiet room with the audio muted is higher than the background level when the box is booted, the drive is way too noisy. In my test with the box booted the level falls to the background level at around 12" from the box. At 1M in a quiet room you cannot hear the hard drive at all.

| Tue 12 Dec 2017 21:09:28 #44 |
  5. andysue

andysue

What I have done now is aquired a kneepad???? yes a kneepad from when I worked at the electricity board. It is segmented (like an ice cube tray)but made of light rubbery plasticy stuff. Like these:-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-pair-Knee-pads-Insert-Work-Trousers-overalls-protection-Eva-Foam-replacement/231911633624?epid=547685566&hash=item35ff02b2d8:g:mpkAAOSwa~BYQqda

It is just the right size to fit under neath the unit with the segments downwards which I would think breakup & disperse the noise. I didnt notice it whilst watching the TV tonight but havnt tried it yet while reading the local rag in a quiet room.I will experiment later.

| Wed 13 Dec 2017 1:05:05 #45 |
  6. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

andysue - 9 hours ago  » 
    What I have done now is aquired a kneepad???? yes a kneepad from when I worked at the electricity board. It is segmented (like an ice cube tray)but made of light rubbery plasticy stuff. Like these:-
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-pair-Knee-pads-Insert-Work-Trousers-overalls-protection-Eva-Foam-replacement/231911633624?epid=547685566&hash=item35ff02b2d8:g:mpkAAOSwa~BYQqda
    It is just the right size to fit under neath the unit with the segments downwards which I would think breakup & disperse the noise. I didnt notice it whilst watching the TV tonight but havnt tried it yet while reading the local rag in a quiet room.I will experiment later.

Your shelf must be resonating from transmitted vibration and amplifying the noise. Effectively acting as a flat loudspeaker.

Something like this would likely look better.

https://blusas.co.uk/mho.php?loc=https://www.amazon.co.uk/Acousti-AcoustiFeet-Anti-vibration-Case-Feet/dp/B003VREHJ4/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_2?ie=UTF8&tag=blusas008-21&qid=1513156463&sr=8-2-fkmr1&keywords=anti+vibration+feet+for+electronic+kit

All my kit is mounted on glass shelves and the FVP-5000T sits on top of a HDR-FOX-T2 which may well explain the differences.

| Wed 13 Dec 2017 10:17:17 #46 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Minstrel SE

special member

I wish we could get one of these noisy units and find a way for the members of the forum to hear it together in a room. I should have made a video or some sort of noise recording on mine.

What mostly bothered me was the response that it may be subjective and I was over sensitive. Even with the TV at reasonable volumes the chattering from the drive was very distracting.

Its the chattering head noise which was so sharp sounding and far too loud.

Whe I took the lid off my 2000T the noise reduced dramatically proving it is a combination of drive and case. I couldnt really blame the Seagate but I would still like to know if there are corners being cut or a particularly noisy batch.

Ive proved that I can reduce this noise to a level I find acceptable. Therefore I proved that it should have been better made with noise in mind

There is also a straight fact that the earlier version was damped on mounts and had a shield over the drive.....with a fan I believe. The version I bought had no fan(a noise bonus) but no damping or shielding.The drive was just sat on a plastic shelf which didnt help as the shelf design was poor. It also had the thinest metal casing with the lid sat on resonance points amplifying the head noise.

I also found that blaming the shelf or talking about putting it on mouse mats was a red herring as it didnt have any effect.Even putting a book on top to check the lid didnt seem to work.

| Wed 13 Dec 2017 16:11:08 #47 |
  8. andysue

andysue

grahamlthompson - 5 hours ago  » 

andysue - 9 hours ago  » 

Your shelf must be resonating from transmitted vibration and amplifying the noise. Effectively acting as a flat loudspeaker.
    Something like this would likely look better.
    https://blusas.co.uk/mho.php?loc=https://www.amazon.co.uk/Acousti-AcoustiFeet-Anti-vibration-Case-Feet/dp/B003VREHJ4/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_2?ie=UTF8&tag=blusas008-21&qid=1513156463&sr=8-2-fkmr1&keywords=anti+vibration+feet+for+electronic+kit
    All my kit is mounted on glass shelves and the FVP-5000T sits on top of a HDR-FOX-T2 which may well explain the differences.

Mine sits on top of the panasonic surround sound not on the glass shelf. You cant really see the kneepad once it is sitting on top of it. Thanks for the info it gives people more ideas but we shouldnt have to fix things which should be designed properly in the first place. But I for one am always having to re design most hings I buy to make them look or work better. I dont think designers think anymore they just let computers do it which arent always right. It seams to be a That will do Attitude these days & Manufacturers dont listen to Joe Public as it will cost them more money. Look at the call back on the cars, boy were they in trouble.

| Wed 13 Dec 2017 16:19:57 #48 |
  9. andysue

andysue

Well tonight even with the 5000T sitting on the kneepad it was driving me nuts while trying to watch Graham Norton.
    I am thinking of seriously returning it back to Argos & sending for one with a 1TB hard drive & hope that is silent with the extra platters. I get sick of having to sort problems out when buying stuff. I havnt been in touch with Humax as It will probably wind me up even more.

| Sat 16 Dec 2017 1:26:04 #49 |
  10. RogerB

RogerB

special member

You have been very patient. Send it back for a refund, and try another one. As has been said this is not typical of the product. R-

| Sat 16 Dec 2017 7:45:15 #50 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.