My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

Noisy hard drive

(59 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

AJ

I’ve been reading this forum over the last month or so, before and after I purchased a FVP-500T.

The noise is driving me mad too, I’ve now got two foam pads on each ‘leg’ to try and suppress it. As another poster said, the irritating thing is it’s not constant, it comes and goes depending what it’s doing.

I previously had an old Digital Stream and while the fan was heard it was constant background noise so did not annoy in the same way.

| Mon 11 Dec 2017 22:24:53 #31 |
  2. andysue

andysue

I wonder if some people cant hear it because they have it behind glass doors on the TV cabinet. Mine is open with just shelves. I could hear it chattering away tonight whilst it was recording & I was watching another recording. Have the chinese put cheap hard drives in without Humax knowing? I dont want to open the case without voiding my warranty.
    Dont think it is faulty I think it is the way it is.By the way this is a 500gb from Argos are the other noisy ones the same or a bigger hard drive?

| Tue 12 Dec 2017 0:36:05 #32 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

AJ

andysue - 26 minutes ago  » 
    By the way this is a 500gb from Argos are the other noisy ones the same or a bigger hard drive?

I also have a 500gb purchased from Argos.

| Tue 12 Dec 2017 1:04:38 #33 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

HughA

My 1TB unit is virtually silent and just slightly warm.

| Tue 12 Dec 2017 9:31:14 #34 |
  5. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

andysue - 8 hours ago  » 
    I wonder if some people cant hear it because they have it behind glass doors on the TV cabinet. Mine is open with just shelves. I could hear it chattering away tonight whilst it was recording & I was watching another recording. Have the chinese put cheap hard drives in without Humax knowing? I dont want to open the case without voiding my warranty.
    Dont think it is faulty I think it is the way it is.By the way this is a 500gb from Argos are the other noisy ones the same or a bigger hard drive?

Mine is on a open glass shelf, it has a 2TB Seagate Pipeline in it as does the HDR-1000S on the shelf above it. Even with both recording and the audio muted you can just hear the drives from a few inches away. I sit about a a metre away and the shelf is roughly at ear level.

This morning as an experiment I started a voice recorder app on my tablet and placed it on top of the of the FVP-5000T and booted it. The sound of the drive booting and the heads moving can clearly be heard. Moving it to about a foot away you cannot hear anything from the drive, just my grandaughter chatting in the kitchen.

Do any of you have a tablet or smart phone and can install a sound level app. If so I can install same apps and compare levels at various distances ?

Photo of Barrys FVP-5000T 500GB internals clearly showing Seagate Pipeline 500GB HDDD.

https://myhumax.org/forum/topic/new-fvp-5000t-1/page/8#post-61234

| Tue 12 Dec 2017 9:39:04 #35 |
  6. RogerB

RogerB

special member

Just to give a benchmark I have downloaded " Decibel X" (free - with adverts) onto my iPhone 5s - and this is showing 45dB and the descriptor "Quiet Home" for my 4000T. That is with the phone resting on top of the box. R-

| Tue 12 Dec 2017 10:37:27 #36 |
  7. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

I don't think that's available on Android. However should be similar.

Background noise in room with nothing on and tablet 1 ft from FVP-5000t is average 36dB.

After booting FVP-5000T no change in average levels. Placing tablet on top of FVP-5000T average rises to 52dB.

Audio output was of course muted.

Interested to see what others find.

| Tue 12 Dec 2017 10:47:43 #37 |
  8. RogerB

RogerB

special member

Yep - where I sit I get 38dB (Quiet Whisper). R-

| Tue 12 Dec 2017 11:10:45 #38 |
  9. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

RogerB - 7 minutes ago  » 
    Yep - where I sit I get 38dB (Quiet Whisper). R-

Presumably turning off the box makes no difference ?

| Tue 12 Dec 2017 11:18:30 #39 |
  10. RogerB

RogerB

special member

No difference - but that may be the clock behind me. R-

| Tue 12 Dec 2017 11:21:13 #40 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.