My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

Noisy hard drive

(59 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

uk1

special member

Following mymprevious post, I've just googled your name and visionman and see you both argue on AVforum.

As I told you previously I remember your name and I use to post on AVforum using exactly the same name as here. ie uk1. I registered in March 2006 and I can see that I haven't posted there since 2013. You can easily check my posts there. Presumably visionman posted under that name whilst I posted as uk1?

I have always treated you with courtsey and respect both previously on AVforum and here.

| Mon 27 Nov 2017 1:01:03 #21 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

uk1

special member

Graham,

I have just read your latest exchanges with visionman on AVForum where you discuss the main large thread on the 5000t here. You have accused me of being visionman and accused visionman of being the poster of post 304 here ie Marius. Perhaps you think I'm Marius as well as visionman and uk1?

The 5000t was my first Freeview pvr experience since the 9150/9200.

| Mon 27 Nov 2017 1:45:42 #22 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Minstrel SE

special member

Yes come on guys no need for any animosity here

I am not saying Humax generally make bad products. On the contrary they have a good reputation which is why my noise issue shocked me.

I know mine was the 2000T and I probably shouldnt hone in on the 5000 but noise topic titles interest me. I believe its a real issue and people arent making it up when they cant live with it

When a noise issue arises it didnt matter if the TV was on at reasonable volumes because the chuntering noise still disturbs viewing especially in the quiet scenes. Reading a book with it recording was out of the question. I sorted it with case soundproofing material, metal and rubber washers and a plastic shield over the hard drive. Point is Humax removed the plastic cowl shielding and had no damping in the MK2 version I bought. I wasnt the only one complaining.

Im very happy for all Humax owners that have never experienced noise like this and hope its the vast majority of customers.

Best wishes

| Mon 27 Nov 2017 18:40:00 #23 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

uk1

special member

Thanks Minstrel,

I found it totally bewildering.

I hadn't realised that by simply suggesting that an eventual move to SSDs from HDs would solve the problem you had identified with your 5000t, which I hadn't found on my box would result in trench warfare. Graham seems to have convinced himself that I am someone else that he argues with on another forum, and it seems that whatever I posted seemed to prove to him that he was right, and was worth arguing about and whilst I think I know how to prove who I am, I have yet to work out how to prove to someone like Graham that I am not someone else. It is regrettable that anyone is allowed to post personal attacks on others.

Anyway, I had clearly under-estimated the degree of intolerance there is to posting ones experiences and impressions. I remain a Hummy and Youview enthusiast but not currently an enthusiast of the 5000t

| Tue 28 Nov 2017 2:33:48 #24 |
  5. HughieDad

HughieDad

The FVP-5000T is the 4th PVR we've owned and it has by far the quietest hard disk drive. The noisiest one is a Sony machine whose whirrs and 'scratches' can be heard over the audio from 3m away. It's always been like that and it crashes about once a week, too. It seems odd that a machine that records or plays back continuous data streams should need to move the read/write heads so much. It's not like it needs to flick between folders like a PC.

| Wed 29 Nov 2017 0:13:26 #25 |
  6. andysue

andysue

Have just found this post after posting about the noise on another post.
    I have just bought a 5000T & also use a Panasonic & a Humax Fox-sat which are both quiet.
    I too am finding the chatering noise annoying Why does this 5000T make a noise when others dont? I have a CCTV which records constantly & doesnt make a noise.
    Is Humax using the right Hard drives IE a purple one?

| Mon 11 Dec 2017 0:39:43 #26 |
  7. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

Humax usually use Seagate Pipeline drives these are described as "Cool - Quiet - Low Power".
    See https://www.seagate.com/files/www-content/product-content/pipeline-fam/pipeline-hd/en-gb/docs/DS1693_6_1206GB_Pipeline_HD.pdf

Purple drives are a WD description others describe the drive as CE/AV/DVR.

It is possible your unit has been mishandled in transit.

| Mon 11 Dec 2017 8:21:39 #27 |
  8. andysue

andysue

Well this one isnt quiet & it gets hot, you can feel it with your hand.

| Mon 11 Dec 2017 9:29:49 #28 |
  9. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

The only time I can hear my FVP-5000T 2TB drive is when the unit boots for a second or so as the drive spins up. After that it's inaudible unless you get within a foot or so of the unit.

| Mon 11 Dec 2017 10:06:49 #29 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

Minstrel SE

special member

andysue - 20 hours ago  » 
    Have just found this post after posting about the noise on another post.
    I have just bought a 5000T & also use a Panasonic & a Humax Fox-sat which are both quiet.
    I too am finding the chatering noise annoying Why does this 5000T make a noise when others dont? I have a CCTV which records constantly & doesnt make a noise.
    Is Humax using the right Hard drives IE a purple one?

Hmm interesting because there is definately something about the noise issue. Consider taking it back because if you cant live with it now, it wont get any easier.

I have the seagate drive in a 2000T and a combination of no damping and the casing amplifying the noise made it impossible to relax to. I sorted it with a diy project but voided my two year warranty in the process.

Im not over sensitive and could hear the thing chattering away from in the kitchen.

I proved I could reduce the noise significantly which means its a lack of careful design issue. Those hard drives do a lot of work and they need damping and shielding.

From my point of view Im interested what Humax have done with later models like the 5000T which will record more channels.

| Mon 11 Dec 2017 21:18:31 #30 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.